Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Sale of Snowbird

Cumming buys a majority stake in Snowbird. I see a few sides on this; at least he's still fighting Apollo/Vail and keeping Powdr Corp. out of it, or... the devil resurrects. Who knows? Your thoughts...
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Snowbird has already become a victim of their own marketing department, so who knows. The place is already packed to the rafters on good days.

Time will tell if this is a good move or a bad one. They only place for snowbird to grow that would make any sense at all would be to build a base facility on the Utah County side and develop Mary Ellen Gulch, and even at that it will be expensive. Skier numbers are in decline nation wide, so the feeding frenzy will continue.

"Save us OB1, Marketing is our only hope"
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Deep View Post
    They only place for snowbird to grow that would make any sense at all would be to build a base facility on the Utah County side and develop Mary Ellen Gulch, and even at that it will be expensive.
    Whatever happened with this?

http://www.utahoutside.com/2011/04/n...sion-proposal/

As far as I know those are still good to go in the future. The "Gad 3" lift or whatever it was called was shutdown by the FS, again, AFAIK.

For a lot of reasons this was my last year as a passholder at Snowbird. Some of them are the marketing, crowding as a result, and philosophy of expansion/"we're a family resort destination" mentality. If I want sushi and a happy ending, I'll go to a fucking sushi restaurant with my girlfriend.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    As far as I know those are still good to go in the future. The "Gad 3" lift or whatever it was called was shutdown by the FS, again, AFAIK.

For a lot of reasons this was my last year as a passholder at Snowbird. Some of them are the marketing, crowding as a result, and philosophy of expansion/"we're a family resort destination" mentality. If I want sushi and a happy ending, I'll go to a fucking sushi restaurant with my girlfriend.
    Exactly.

Cumming's is strengthening his hand in the lawsuit with VR/Talisker. One Wasatch is dead if he loses.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Cumming's is strengthening his hand in the lawsuit with VR/Talisker. One Wasatch is dead if he loses.
    He is also getting a more reliable snow pack.

Would a tram from PC to BCC to LCC play into all this?

Elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Only if they've made a deal with BCC. Last I heard there was a backroom agreement between Canyons and Solitude. I can't imagine that still exists, but who knows? All the bigwigs are endorsing One Wasatch at this point, I'm not sure what to believe.

Only under the 'wet dream' scenario. Cummings would get a lot bigger bang for the buck pursuing Mary Ellen and expanding Mineral Basin, with dependable road access up AF.

Not that I'm particularly in favor of any of this.

Elaborate.

Sand in the Vaseline. Cummings would be at both ends and could cause problems by simply saying no.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch

amen
    for a corp all gung hoe on terrain expansion openin your bc gates more than 10 days a year oud be a good start
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I knew about this for a few weeks ago but it wasn't certain who was buying it. The rumor was Powdr Corp, but I (and others) was concerned it would be Vail. It was a relief to hear the news today that Vail has no part in it.

good to hear it wasn't vail. this will kill one wasatch is my guess, cummings has never been into an interconnect and now that he will most likely lose most of PCMR, I bet he keeps the base and goes ahead with the park/woodward scenario.......

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    good to hear it wasn't vail. this will kill one wasatch is my guess, cummings has never been into an interconnect and now that he will most likely lose most of PCMR, I bet he keeps the base and goes ahead with the park/woodward scenario.......
    I know Vail is trying to take over PCMR and that PCMR will remove lifts if Vail wins, but that's all I know. I heard something about PCMR/Powdr Corp doing something below PCMR or something like that, but I don't even know if it's skiing related. What's this "park/woodward scenario" you mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4dow View Post
    I know Vail is trying to take over PCMR and that PCMR will remove lifts if Vail wins, but that's all I know. I heard something about PCMR/Powdr Corp doing something below PCMR or something like that, but I don't even know if it's skiing related. What's this "park/woodward scenario" you mentioned?
    cummings has said that if he loses the battle with talisker/vail over the lease of the land that most of PCMR sits on that he will build up the bottom of the resort (which powdr corp owns the land) and block access to the upper part of the mountain. there has also been talk of a woodard facility there.

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    I doubt they went through all the bullshit not to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Elaborate.

Only if they've made a deal with BCC. Last I heard there was a backroom agreement between Canyons and Solitude. I can't imagine that still exists, but who knows? All the bigwigs are endorsing One Wasatch at this point, I'm not sure what to believe.
    I don't know shit about any backrooms dealings but I do know Soli big wigs were up surveying a few weeks back. What I heard was short tram from Honeycomb Ridge(by Summit) over Honeycomb up to Fantasy Ridge(the saddle where Alta drops it cat loads). They were also surveying extending Honeycomb return chair down into a meadow in Silverfork Canyon. Shit could get interesting. Fuck.

Cumming buys a majority stake in Snowbird. I see a few sides on this; at least he's still fighting Apollo/Vail and keeping Powdr Corp. out of it, or... the devil resurrects. Who knows? Your thoughts...
    It certainly doesn't hurt POWDR's negotiating power or local credibility. It's a major loss for Vail, adding to the narrative of them being morans to have paid $300m in today's money to rent Talisker's financial disaster of a business. Meanwhile Cumming family quietly buys the controlling interest in the most commerically viable resort in the area. The nature of the deal suggests Snowbird will continue on as it has, just with a bit more youth in ownership to lead it through another generation. I say they improve on the Soviet prison camp look of Snowbird rather than continue work on "improving" what is already an incredible mountain.

There was probably a bit of urgency on the part of the Cummings due to the uncertainty of PCMR, maybe enough to warrant an offer increase to match Bass. Or it could be that Bass wanted to cede his interest to Cumming prior to the fallout of PCMR/talisker shitshow. Who knows.

Huge get

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    It certainly doesn't hurt POWDR's negotiating power or local credibility. It's a major loss for Vail, adding to the narrative of them being morans to have paid $300m in today's money to rent Talisker's financial disaster of a business. Meanwhile Cumming family quietly buys the controlling interest in the most commerically viable resort in the area. The nature of the deal suggests Snowbird will continue on as it has, just with a bit more youth in ownership to lead it through another generation. I say they improve on the Soviet prison camp look of Snowbird rather than continue work on "improving" what is already an incredible mountain.

There was probably a bit of urgency on the part of the Cummings due to the uncertainty of PCMR, maybe enough to warrant an offer increase to match Bass. Or it could be that Bass wanted to cede his interest to Cumming prior to the fallout of PCMR/talisker shitshow. Who knows.
    I was going elsewhere. I stayed home as a result of this.

Ski Fish, while many here might be annoyed by the gate access, I would guess it really affects a very limited number of their skiers. Most line ups have the same faces in them at every resort I've frequented. Good for Cummings and Bass!

This hurting Vail/Apollo is the major plus in this whole scenario, IMHO. Because, well, fuck Vail. No doubt Snowbird will continue on their plan of local expansion; better than Vail's "theoretical" internal model, most likely. Still not what I want to see happen to the Wasatch though. I am surprised Bass wants to bring in an outside source though, maybe he's not as flush as we think, or maybe he's more altruistic than what appearances let on.

Completely unrelated, I'm pretty sure the guy who designed the Cliff Lodge designed one of the dorms at my college, totally riot proof Eastern Block style for sure - kind of hilarious given Snowbird's seemingly desired clientele.

I am surprised Bass wants to bring in an outside source though, maybe he's not as flush as we think, or maybe he's more altruistic than what appearances let on.
    Not sure what you mean, he's had a relationship with the Cumming family for a long time it sounds like. If anything this deal is a reflection of the "keep Utah assets in Utahn hands" sentiment. Plus Cumming doesn't seem like one of those retards that thinks adding awkward, ski-only lifts will somehow change the economics of running a ski resort in the Utah. At least, he doesn't go around beating his chest to that rhetoric like ItSnowJoke and the Canyons clown posse.

Edit.. Realized you meant the sale in the first place.. He's 83, that's the SL Tribunes explanation.
    Last edited by Bromontana; 05-13-2014 at 01:22 PM.

If I want sushi and a happy ending, I'll go to a fucking sushi restaurant with my girlfriend.

Me too. Your girlfriend never disappoints.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Me too. Your girlfriend never disappoints.
    Yeah, good job idiot, you contribute so much to the conversation. Thanks for playing, dumbass.

Yeah, good job idiot, you contribute so much to the conversation. Thanks for playing, dumbass.
    You make a pithy little comment and when it gets shoved back up your sub 100 IQ ass you play the intellect card?

Fuck off douche.

Not sure what you mean, he's had a relationship with the Cumming family for a long time it sounds like. If anything this deal is a reflection of the "keep Utah assets in Utahn hands" sentiment. Plus Cumming doesn't seem like one of those retards that thinks adding awkward, ski-only lifts will somehow change the economics of running a ski resort in the Utah. At least, he doesn't go around beating his chest to that rhetoric like ItSnowJoke and the Canyons clown posse.

Edit.. Realized you meant the sale in the first place.. He's 83, that's the SL Tribunes explanation.
    first, there are two cummings at play. john and ian. ian cummings, father of john, just bought snowbird. john cummings is CEO of powdr corp. the cummings family owns powdr corp more or less...... john didn't want powdr involved hence why ian bought da bird.

also, supposedly the bass kids didn't want the big dick to sell out.

not sure why that matters, just what i heard.....