Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Biking in Bend OR, over memorial day?

Looks like skibee and I have may 21-27 off and need to leave winter, and get some biking and warmth.

Anything cool in bend over that weekend that we just have to see/do/eat?

not looking to party with "the youngens" all weekend, but biking, eating and camping (tacoma and pop-top camper)

driving from banff, so can stop in hood river, or Kenniwick, or spokane on the way thru too.

Central Or beer festival. 26 breweries. A week long celebration.

mtnlion,

The National at the Les Schwab Ampitheater that Friday night
    Bachelor last weekend, pond skim, Summit laps
    trails are looking good, Oakridge and MRT too
    Crux Brewing has good view of the mtns at sunset
    Barrio has tasty latin food
    movies at Tin Pan Alley are cool
    fly fishing should be good then too, lakes or river

glad you're visiting again
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    The National at the Les Schwab Ampitheater that Friday night
    Bachelor last weekend, pond skim, Summit laps
    This is my plan for Memorial Day weekend. Didn't know about the beer festival.

How is South Sister looking, is the approach reasonable? Also, is Smith Rock worth visiting if you're not a rock climber?
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

You should stop in Leavenworth/Wenatchee on the way through, trails are prime right now and the weather has been perfect. If you want some direction for riding send me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    ...is Smith Rock worth visiting if you're not a rock climber?
    Yep; it's a nice place for a hike, cool scenery. Misery Ridge is a nice loop, not too strenuous, and watching folks climbing Monkey Face is cool.

Not sure of your overnight stay, but Kennewick sucks for food. Take the 40 minute drive to Walla Wallla and eat at Saffron or Brasserie Four, then stay there and continue on.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

[QUOTE=Greydon Clark;4248077]How is South Sister looking, is the approach reasonable? [QUOTE]

south looks great. access is either Cascade Lakes Hwy if they plow it, or a snowmo ride. 6 hour hike up, more or less.
    You know what to do

Low snow year so trailheads are mostly clear and trails are nice right now. Mckenzie Pass is clear - to bicycles anyway. Nice ride with some outstanding-for-anyplace-besides-Banff scenery. Bunch of recent controlled burning in Phil's so be prepared for some scorched earth.

thanks guys. We are staying the the truck and camper, with solar showers as needed. but thanks for the offers.

Some good food ideas as well.

we are on mnt bikes (single speed and geared, for both us) so can still keep phils trails intersting, and not die too bad on whoops too

anything else going on before or after the weekend that we should not miss?

Sisters Stampede MTB race is 5/24-25. It's the state championship XC race. There's a SS class too.
    http://www.sistersstampede.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Central Or beer festival. 26 breweries. A week long celebration.

http://centraloregonbeerweek.com/ai1...instance_id=41

Silver Moon Brewing Special Event featuring Addy Mac’s Homemade Ice Cream and beertography from Bend Brew Daddy.

Pouring a very special Coffee Stout!

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    http://centraloregonbeerweek.com/ai1...instance_id=41

Silver Moon Brewing Special Event featuring Addy Mac’s Homemade Ice Cream and beertography from Bend Brew Daddy.

Pouring a very special Coffee Stout!
    Cheers!
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Not sure of your overnight stay, but Kennewick sucks for food. Take the 40 minute drive to Walla Wallla and eat at Saffron or Brasserie Four, then stay there and continue on.
    I was in Walla Walla last Sat.; if you want to eat at Saffron, you better make a reservation now, esp. over a holiday weekend. Awesome food, but booked months out.

south looks great. access is either Cascade Lakes Hwy if they plow it, or a snowmo ride. 6 hour hike up, more or less.
    Any word on the Cascade Lakes Highway? I was having difficulty finding info on the road's status. I assume if it isn't plowed past Bachelor the approach isn't reasonable (my wife and I are looking for a mega mission, just a fun ski).

Also, any suggestions for camping? We have a hotel for Friday but would prefer to camp the other days.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Any word on the Cascade Lakes Highway? I was having difficulty finding info on the road's status. I assume if it isn't plowed past Bachelor the approach isn't reasonable (my wife and I are looking for a mega mission, just a fun ski).

Also, any suggestions for camping? We have a hotel for Friday but would prefer to camp the other days.
    Will be open at noon tomorrow.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/cascade-lak...esday/26057906
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Tumelo State Park, if you're lucky they still have space. (edit: doesn't look like they do)
    You know what to do

thinking about food options:
    Baldies for $10 ribs on Thus

also looking at Spork, Pizza mondo, Kebaba, and Bario tapas.

any other good eats we just can't miss?

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Low snow year...
    Low snow year? Based on what (Bachelor is reporting 412" for the season)?

Cascade Lakes Hwy opening up tomorrow. Might make a faster drive to Oakridge. More beautiful for sure.
    You know what to do

Cascade Lakes Hwy opening up tomorrow. Might make a faster drive to Oakridge. More beautiful for sure.
    Huh? Wouldn't that just add mileage from Bend?

If you are really hard up for camping close to town you could go out Conklin Rd (FS 41 rd) on the way to Bachelor (just past Widgi Creek Golf Course) and take a right on any spur road and find a place to camp and be ~10 minutes from town. Fall River might be nice.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Quote Originally Posted by Freezingfog View Post
    Low snow year? Based on what (Bachelor is reporting 412" for the season)?
    Yup, and what, 25% of that 412" has fallen in the last month? Did you already forget the drought in December and January? That's when you and Jonesy convinced me that, to be happy at MtB I had best start learning to rip trenches on 165cm slalom skis.

I thought MtB averaged something like 450-500"/yr. So excluding some/all of the last month's warm gloppy precip, the snowfall was roughly 60-80% of average. The State's Hydrologists put the region's snowpack at ~60% of "normal". That qualifies on the "low" side of the spectrum to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    thinking about food options:
    Baldies for $10 ribs on Thus

also looking at Spork, Pizza mondo, Kebaba, and Bario tapas.

any other good eats we just can't miss?
    Jackalope Grill is great but spendy
    Parilla's for tacos, wraps and $1 PBRs
    Jen's Kitchen in Sisters
    And the boysenberry-raspberry coffee cake at Sisters Bakery was pretty damn good yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    I thought MtB averaged something like 450-500"/yr. So excluding some/all of the last month's warm gloppy precip, the snowfall was roughly 60-80% of average. The State's Hydrologists put the region's snowpack at ~60% of "normal". That qualifies on the "low" side of the spectrum to me.
    Excluding the last month of snow would make no sense because it still adds to the snowpack. According to Bachelor the average is 462" so 412 is 89% of the average. Clearly not a low snow year.

You cunts can take your kindergarten snowpack argument out of mntlion's thread now, eh?
    You know what to do