Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    spook Guest

Bachelor responsible for defective jump that paralyzed snowboarder, OR S. Ct.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...incart_m-rpt-1

ASTORIA — The Oregon Supreme Court has been asked to invalidate Mt. Bachelor's liability waiver by a snowboarder paralyzed from the waist down on one of the ski resort's expert jumps.
    The snowboarder's attorneys argue that the resort bears a responsibility for the jump's design, which they argue was flawed, and say the resort's waiver is "unconscionable." Attorneys for Mt. Bachelor in Bend replied that the snowboarder must take into account the inherently risky behavior of expert jumps.
    The arguments Wednesday at Astoria High School's auditorium centered on the difference between the assumed risk that skiers and snowboarders take on dangerous jumps and the responsibility of a snow park operator to make sure its jumps and moguls are safe.
    Myles Bagley was 18 when he was injured at the Mt. Bachelor in 2006 on a jump. Bagley sought $21.5 million in Deschutes County Circuit Court in 2008. A judge threw out the lawsuit, and the court of appeals affirmed.
    Bagley's case could have broad ramifications for release agreements that must be signed in order to take part in an activity. The Legislature has made specific rules for amusement parks, which include ski lifts, but the issue of broader recreational activity has not yet been defined.
    One of Bagley's attorneys, Kathryn Clarke, argued that the waiver is contrary to public policy, saying that it protects Mt. Bachelor from activities that people have a right to engage in.
    "It's a risky sport, and Myles Bagley knew that," Clarke said. "That's what he thought he was agreeing to, assuming the risks of the sport. But that's not what happened.
    "This was a man-made jump, and it was designed, and it was designed defectively."
    Andrew C. Balyeat, an attorney for Mount Bachelor, argued that skiing and snowboarding are activities in which the participants assume risk. To propose waivers for any activity would be excessive, he said, but in some cases, risk is assumed.
    "If you buy a ticket to a movie theater, do you have an expectation that a projector is going to fall on your head? No," Balyeat said. "Like it or not, for those of us who love to ski and love to snowboard, it's risky, it's dangerous, it's icy."
    The justices' questions focused on finding precedent in Oregon law for Bagley's claims. Clarke argued that consumer law is the main factor in the case — Bagley was sold a good, she argued, that injured him.
    Chief Justice Thomas Balmer asked Balyeat why Bagley's situation was different from American snowboarder Shaun White's decision to withdraw from the Olympic slopestyle contest in Krasnaya Polyana, Russia, over safety concerns.
    "He chose not to participate because the course was unsafe," Balmer said. "Why should the owner of a course not be liable for an unsafely designed course?"
    Balyeat replied that the jump is similarly, inherently risky.
    "Nowhere does it say," Balyeat said, "that a mogul or a tabletop jump isn't part of the risk."
    -- The Associated Press

spook Guest
    i have no idea what happened, but it seems like if there was clear negligence in the design of the jump that made it inherently unsafe rather than just "risky" the boarder wouldn't have assumed the risk of that. but i'm not a lying whore for mone -- i mean, i'm not a lawyer.

unless the jump fell on him while he was sitting next to it, this case isn't going to end the way the complainant hopes

i broke my heel on a jump

big fucking deal

my rep just grew
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    this case isn't going to end the way the complainant hopes
    If it goes to a jury, I'm guessing sympathy money only.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    If it goes to a jury, I'm guessing sympathy money only.
    Maybe only sympathy money but the bigger issue here is that would imply guilt on the part of the ski area. That's going to have far-reaching effects if it happens. There are plenty of terrain park jumps that could seriously hurt someone that enterprising attorneys would claim were defective and would have a precedent-setting case to rely on for their claims. Even if the award was $1 in this case, it could spell some significant changes at ski areas relative to man-made features. That could be expanded to include mogul runs since it's the skiers that make the moguls. This would be bad if the court found on behalf of the plaintiff, regardless the amount of award.

"The Oregon Supreme Court has been asked to invalidate Mt. Bachelor's liability waiver " is a far cry from "Bachelor responsible for defective jump that paralyzed snowboarder, OR S. Ct. ".
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

One has to guess that a bunch of other people went off the same jump and DIDN'T hurt themselves. If that's so, then the jump design is not at fault. 1 case of someone catching an edge or whatever because the inrun or ramp or some part was a little chewed up as it got used throughout the day doesn't make Bachelor at fault. Especially since there's probably a park crew that goes out during the day and touches stuff up.
    It's not a defective toy when 1 kid jams it in his eye.
    Sometimes there are just freak accidents that change your life for the worse, and you want to blame someone because it has to be someone's fault, but it's really not. It's no one's. It might even be your own damn fault for putting yourself in that situation.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Moguls? With that it's clear this lawyer doesn't know shit!

wouldn't the complainant have to prove he was pro level before the expert terrain can be declared faulty?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    wouldn't the complainant have to prove he was pro level before the expert terrain can be declared faulty?
    I think the complaintant has to prove (with over-stylialzied go pro footage from his helmet and pole mounted cameras, various other angles, scenes of him driving to the mountain, and crappy techno) that he was, in fact, eXtreme and went huDge on the reg and that this injury ruined his chance at that sweet spansorship deal he almost had nailed down.
    No longer stuck.

"zit flat?!"
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    the bigger issue here is that would imply guilt on the part of the ski area.
    The last time the local hill was in court over a similar event, the jury split the blame, hence the plaintiff (who most locals believe was completely in the wrong - ignoring a barricade set by the ski area) got a fairly small percentage of the damages they were seeking. The management promised to add some additional protection/barriers/signage and all was good.

If the plaintiff had walked into court that day, she would've received nothing, but a wheelchair is a powerful visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    "The Oregon Supreme Court has been asked to invalidate Mt. Bachelor's liability waiver " is a far cry from "Bachelor responsible for defective jump that paralyzed snowboarder, OR S. Ct. ".
    If the liability waver is invalidated then this is a huge deal. A ski resort could be found liable for any grooming inconsistencies, ice that develops where you unload from a chair and the biggest one of all, a tree in the middle of a run, they are certainly a safety issue once you run into it.

I have so many mixed feelings on this. This is one heck of a slippery slope. However, I have seen many park jumps that were poorly made poorly shaped and seemed designed so as to injure people. Even small ones often have a very narrow window of speed between clearing the landing or not clearing the table.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

spook Guest

that's their headline

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    that's their headline
    hysteria parrot
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

spook Guest
    hysteria parrot
    no, i let others speak for themselves. but hysteria parrot would be a good name for a really strong drink or a band. or your domineering boyfriend when he's telling you what a fuckup you are and you start bawling and crawling across the floor as he gets ready to go fuck the girl across the hall. "just slit your wrists already you fucking hysteria parrot!"

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins;4246047T
    his is one heck of a slippery slope.
    It's a slippery slope of slippery slope litigation?

... and we're all friends here. You can say hell.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    or your domineering boyfriend when he's telling you what a fuckup you are and you start bawling and crawling across the floor as he gets ready to go fuck the girl across the hall. "just slit your wrists already you fucking hysteria parrot!"
    Vibes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    It's a slippery slope of slippery slope litigation?

... and we're all friends here. You can say hell.

Vibes.
    FINALLY. thank you.

They should just start putting up "Slippery when wet" signs everywhere. Then when someone tries to sue for hurting themselves skiing, the ski areas can just point to the sign.
    Slippery slope, indeed.
    The whole point of adrenaline sports is that they're dangerous. Hence the adrenaline. Maybe one day, liability insurance will be so expensive, ski areas only open on Presidents Day Weekend and groom and clearcut and flatten everything. Don't forget lots of signs and padding. Mandatory racing armor. Yeah, man, it feels so good to be out there, just me and mountains! *splat* waaaaaaaah, it's somebody else's fault!
    No longer stuck.

Fucking snowboarders...

If the cat operator was drunk when building the jump, then yes, but jump by definition is dangerous. So are moguls, those little fuckers are really dangerous, they kick my butt every time.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

hysteria parrot
    Is that like a concrete seagull?

It's the jumps fault??? ... How fucking retarded.