Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Invalidating the resort's liability waiver sets a horrifying precedent. It might not instantly make ski areas responsible for every injury that occurs on their hill, but it could cause the ski areas to reconsider parks, backcountry access gates, hike-to terrain, competitions, etc. In the hands of the right lawyers, a precedent like that could also scare a lot of private landowners who grant easement for public recreation to revoke their privilege. Whether the resort built a faulty feature or not, a state supreme court decision like that could really fuck things up for people who like to play outside.

A somewhat similar case in WA a few years back found both the skier(55%) and ski area (45%) at fault... leaving the ski area on the hook for $14 million.

Salvini v Ski Lifts Inc.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Everyone calm down - the trial court and appeal court dismissed the case because of the liability waiver. The OR Supreme Court has been ASKED to consider the issue - they have made no ruling, despite the thread's title.

Sucks that he is paralyzed - a fate I would not wish on anyone - but his suit is probably doomed to fail.

Spook, nice trolling as usual.

They could just refuse to hear it. Then we could take it federal, yo!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Everyone calm down - the trial court and appeal court dismissed the case because of the liability waiver. The OR Supreme Court has been ASKED to consider the issue - they have made no ruling, despite the thread's title.

Sucks that he is paralyzed - a fate I would not wish on anyone - but his suit is probably doomed to fail.

Hysteria Parrot Parrot.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

Shhh... the internet uber-lawyers of TGR are ruminating. Don't fuck with the rumination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

"Or Supreme Court told" is how the headline ends... only in the article do we found out that they were "told" by plaintiffs attorney appealing the appellate court's decision to UPHOLD the Trial Court's dismissal of their case.
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

spook Guest
    can it really be trolling if i use their headline and had to shorten it to get it to fit? i think not. of course, the oregonian is the biggest troll in the state. plus, the act of including the article also makes me even less troll like.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Don't fuck with the rumination.
    Yeah, rumination = steaks. It's important stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    ski parks are scary places.
    Agreed.... Enjoy them while you can.

Purpose built, human created structures can really open you up to a lawsuit.

At Alpine Meadows this year, in our extremely poor snow year, there were of course tons of rocks, stumps, pipes, old lift tower footings, etc exposed. Obviously most of the rocks and stumps couldn't be marked, but every man-made exposed obstacle was marked with bamboo. Don't know if there's a sound legal basis in California for that, or if the resort was just being cautious. Some cornices and other natural snow drop offs are marked, most aren't, but every cat track that cuts across a run and creates a drop off is marked. I don't what any of this has to do with the thread, but it interests me.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    The last time the local hill was in court over a similar event, the jury split the blame, hence the plaintiff (who most locals believe was completely in the wrong - ignoring a barricade set by the ski area) got a fairly small percentage of the damages they were seeking. The management promised to add some additional protection/barriers/signage and all was good.

If the plaintiff had walked into court that day, she would've received nothing, but a wheelchair is a powerful visual.
    Was that the gal that set up her chair behind the rope line around the lodge at Mt Baker and got hosed in a roof avalanche?
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    can it really be trolling if i use their headline and had to shorten it to get it to fit? i think not. of course, the oregonian is the biggest troll in the state. plus, the act of including the article also makes me even less troll like.
    You left out the one word at the end, "told," that indicated it was plaintiff's opinion rather than the court's opinion.

I am sorry that this guy got hurt. It's a shame that he can't snowboard anymore, except that snowboarding is, well, snowboarding.

If a jump is built wrong, how is it the skiers fault?

Built wrong ,for you newbies, is real. Slope angles, take off speed, landing geometry depending on the slope angle……
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    You left out the one word at the end, "told," that indicated it was plaintiff's opinion rather than the court's opinion.

I am sorry that this guy got hurt. It's a shame that he can't snowboard anymore, except that snowboarding is, well, snowboarding.
    i posted the article. i left another word out, too

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    If a jump is built wrong, how is it the skiers fault?

Built wrong ,for you newbies, is real. Slope angles, take off speed, landing geometry depending on the slope angle……
    Do you go balls out on a jump you're unfamiliar with?

These big park jumps will hurt, maim and kill people if users don't respect them.

In today's world of litigation happy idiots, I'm surprised the large park jumps are still being built.

well, they closed mt hood meadows in order to build pro level ramps this week

all the riff raff were kept out for a private photo shoot

Yikes. I hope this does not make it far.

I think you are on to something. Inherent risks are one thing, risks beyond inherent are another.

Not sure Bachelor's Park Crew does anything during the day to parks from what I have seen. From what I have heard they didn't touch stuff up. Haven't been down there for years cuz it is so flat. Why leave home. The article(s) mention this accident was in 2006. Those days that mountain had issues up the ying yang - tons of top dogs got fired. Maintenance issues, staff issues. Don't know - this might be a wake up call for some.

I still have to wonder about the likely event that others went off that jump before and after. Something tells me plenty of people did without hurting themselves.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

I still have to wonder about the likely event that others went off that jump before and after. Something tells me plenty of people did without hurting themselves.
    Get their names and add them to the suit as defendants - going off a defective jump and enticing others to do the same is contributory negligence.

People who sue ski areas should be shot

that being said, nothing is worse than a shitty poorly designed park jump. What a waste of everybody's time.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Was that the gal that set up her chair behind the rope line around the lodge at Mt Baker and got hosed in a roof avalanche?
    Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. Totally different circumstances, but the jury gave her some sympathy money even though she didn't have much of a case.