unmounting Salomon Guardian

For the toe, there is a pin that goes through the binding to hold it to the baseplate. One pin came right out, but on the other binding, it just spins and wont release from the nut on the other side because it's just free spinning. Does anyone have a trick to get this out? Any shop techs know what I'm talking about?

I wanna say you need two screwdrivers? I've done it before, but I'll have to take a look at my guardians when I get home.

any luck with the solly shop guide? if you haven't looked at it then take a look, there might be some good info there

Carefully superglue or epoxy the axle nut (the one that's spinning) to the plastic housing. Then remove axle bolt as usual.
    Those nuts are also known to fall out, so glueing them in place is a good idea.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    Carefully superglue or epoxy the axle nut (the one that's spinning) to the plastic housing. Then remove axle bolt as usual.
    Those nuts are also known to fall out, so glueing them in place is a good idea.
    That's a good idea. I tried it but it didn't provide enough retention. On the one that came out, I noticed there was blue Loctite, so I think that is the problem.

if you have access to a soldering iron you can touch the threaded bolt end that is stuck in the nut (assuming it's exposed - can't remember) for a few seconds to heat up the loctite. This should allow you to break the bond between the bolt and threads. You may need to still epoxy or determine another way to hold things still so you can reverse out the pin.

Quote Originally Posted by angler99 View Post
    For the toe, there is a pin that goes through the binding to hold it to the baseplate. One pin came right out, but on the other binding, it just spins and wont release from the nut on the other side because it's just free spinning. Does anyone have a trick to get this out? Any shop techs know what I'm talking about?

Got myself a spinner. Looks like I'll try to super glue the nut to the plastic housing. What a TERRIBLE design. Why they didn't use a hex-nut to prevent itself from spinning, is beyond me. Who the hell countersinks a round fucking nut?!

Anybody have any other ideas?
    Last edited by cmsummit; 09-10-2014 at 09:34 PM.
    Old's Cool.

Well, the super glue + using a soldering iron to try and heat up the Loctite didn't work. Guess I'm left now with trying to put notches in the spinning nut so I can get a flat head screw driver on it. That doesn't look too feasible without damaging the plastic toe plate housing.

Did I mention what a terrible fucking design this is?
    Old's Cool.

un-mounting a Guardian? easy... just ski them for a while. They'll come right off.

So is it a pain in the ass to switch guardians around on inserts?