Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bike storage in a small apartment.

My wife and I live in a small two bedroom basement walk out suite with minimal storage space, the laundry room is tightly packed with washer, dryer and water heater and hoses for in floor heating. I can fit our trail bike and my DH bike in there during the winter but I have to take off pedals, seats and handlebars. Far from practical in the summer. Our road bike live in the back bed room that my wife and I use as an office and part time massage studio. They are fine for the time being but I'm trying to figure out a better storage solution for the mtbs.

The place is newly renovated as we were flooded out last summer so I am trying hard not to drag dirty bike all the way back to laundry room. There is a wall that skis are on now that I would like use somehow but we rent so I don't want to make too many holes.

Anyone have creative ideas they've used in the past. When I think about it laundry room will be out in the summer because skis and snowboards will live there.

Suggestions?
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Have you looked into those floor to ceiling racks? Some of them stay vertical without having to mount it to the wall. Depending on how much clearance you have near it to walk past?
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Since you said you're renting -- smallish lockable plastic storage shed? You could disassemble and bring it with when you move. I'd lock the bikes together inside that shed too.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Hooks in the ceiling are easy to put in and the holes are usually easy enough to repair in a way that they're not super noticeable. I've done it where you just hook the wheels and hang the bike upside down, and I've also done a pulley system that hoists the bike up out of the way.

Hooks into 2x6, lag the 2x6 into the studs. Patch and clean up when you move.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Have you looked into those floor to ceiling racks? Some of them stay vertical without having to mount it to the wall. Depending on how much clearance you have near it to walk past?
    they work well. Easier than filling holes with apropriate painting to appease your anal TGR slumlord, and pretty cheap: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400245__400245 often available used.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    they work well. Easier than filling holes with apropriate painting to appease your anal TGR slumlord, and pretty cheap: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400245__400245 often available used.
    A long time ago, I made a lean-against-the-wall type rack for indoor storage, out of 2x4s -- like the one in the link, but not free-standing. Worked fine, didn't take up much space, but it also didn't save a lot of space either. The row-of-hooks like shirk posted is a lot more efficient and what I use in the garage now, but I wouldn't do that to a rental.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have something similar to shirk's in my garage as well, but with another row below to fit more bikes in a smaller space. Like this:

Perhaps not the best option if you're renting.

Edit: ok, looks like shirk has some bikes hanging from the rear wheel, and some with the handlebars turned. Same concept, different execution. First person to ask if the rim will get warped or damaged gets an e-kick in the nuts.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    A long time ago, I made a lean-against-the-wall type rack for indoor storage, out of 2x4s -- like the one in the link, but not free-standing. Worked fine, didn't take up much space, but it also didn't save a lot of space either. The row-of-hooks like shirk posted is a lot more efficient and what I use in the garage now, but I wouldn't do that to a rental.
    It all depends on how you use your room. The wall type racks take up more space along the wall, but stick out less (I put a couch in front of it, so lost less room, so, how you want to use the room; or since it's TGR we can boil everything down to an idiotic absolute!

sweet fucking jesus how are wall racks hard to use? is that you danno?

I had a cheapy lean against the wall rack similar to the linked. Its was a bit fiddly getting the bikes on & off, & you need space to walk in front of it. It was ok but didn't really save that much space.

Anyone have any luck stacking road bikes 2 deep on those freestanding models? Will soon have 3 bikes to store inside (2 road and 1 MTB), thinking two road on the top rung and MTB on lower rung. We're also renting and need to store valuable gear inside in a second bedroom/office against a wall. I like the 2x6 with hooks but dunno about doing that to an interior wall in a rental.

Ironically we have a padlocked storage shed outside that we share with the downstairs tenants, but my 2005 Devinici Amsterdam commuter was stolen from it a few months back now I won't put anything expensive it in (fucking East Vancouver).

http://www.mec.ca/product/5003-950/d...ck/?f=10+50257

I had this one, dirt jumper/town bike on top, mtb on the bottom. It was usually easier just to lean the mtb against the wall in front of the stand, the stand only got the wheels of the lower bike an inch or 2 off the ground. A lighter road bike on top should be fine.

We have been using one these for years with the added hooks to manage 4 bikes.
    Obviously we put the heavier rigs on the bottom hooks. It's well made and sturdy.
    Getting to the bikes on the back side can be a PITA depending on your arrangement though.
    The bottom hook is offset enough for basic adjustments, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Two-Tun.../dp/B000ZKFXX4

This is the one I currently have in the garage.

It was originally built as a free standing unit in a rental.

Two legs with one foot offset to the side that the bikes will weight. It's wobbly side to side without extra bracing. In the apartment I was able to build a free standing shelf next to it and then shim the two items against the walls. Basically it was custom made to the dimensions of the space.

If stacking bikes I'd go with something like this design, but make the top able to handle the too lightest bikes. The Besta Legs to wedge it against the ceiling is a good itea, use felt or something to keep from marking the ceiling. http://www.gethomedecorating.co.uk/2...ike-racks.html

When I was in a small apartment that would have frowned on dirty bikes, I just got a storage unit that was on my way to biking.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    http://www.mec.ca/product/5003-950/d...ck/?f=10+50257

I had this one, dirt jumper/town bike on top, mtb on the bottom. It was usually easier just to lean the mtb against the wall in front of the stand, the stand only got the wheels of the lower bike an inch or 2 off the ground. A lighter road bike on top should be fine.
    I got one of these^^ in my dining room, I put my road bike on top and hang a bunch of packs on the bottom...works fine
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

http://www.amazon.com/Racor-PLB-2R-T...382758&sr=1-16

Put this against a wall in any room.

They ^^are all pretty similar and depending on if you cared much about appearance you could probably make one easily enough

btw I had a fork leak some oil on to the floor when I hung the bike by the front wheel SO I hung it from the back wheel & problem solved
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    btw I had a fork leak some oil on to the floor when I hung the bike by the front wheel SO I hung it from the back wheel & problem solved
    Yah, in some cases hanging from the front wheel/suspension fork for long periods (like over winter), will cause the seals to ovalize slightly, and leak more easily when you next use the bike.

I have been known to use the front of the seat to hang bikes up, all you need is a 2x4 or a bar. Might not work for you but its handy.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    btw I had a fork leak some oil on to the floor when I hung the bike by the front wheel
    Lefty? Needs a new top seal.

My buddy in Bend is making these, they are cool.
    Check the link for a demo.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ack-by-max-mfg
    let me know if you are interested.

The kick start is over for that one. I very much like that, are they available on a website?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Lefty? Needs a new top seal.
    The local Cdale dealer in Davis is quite busy rebuilding leftys for the locals it seems.
    watch out for snakes

A buddy of mine did this and it is cheap and easy to fix if renting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10305179_10203183437281971_3250053516838274505_n.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	154758
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.