Thread: Musky reel

Musky reel

Picked up st croix's 10 wt musky rod.
    Not sure what reel to get.
    The bigger musky and pike I've hooked fought hard but never had any sustained runs into my backing. Salt reels seem a touch overkill.
    Note: the only 10 wt reel I've fished was an echo. I've never fly casted in the ocean.
    Feel free to tell me to stfu and school me on these reels.
    Sidenote: I just went into the dumbest motherfucking shop I've stepped into in 20 yrs in the twin cities. Apparently hipsters find fly fishing entertaining now.
    Fuckin hell.
    I need dramamine after that smug, bearded, poser, posturing, circle jerk.
    Last edited by stompinlines; 04-23-2014 at 06:28 PM.

How much are you looking to spend? If you don't need a super beefy salt reel, how about the Sage 2200 series?

What shop in MSP?

I have a couple Echo Ion reels and they work great. One is on my 9wt pike rod and it has never let me down. Since it was only $99 it was sort of a no brainer. Save your money for flys and boat fuel.

Hugh Conway Guest
    fly shops have been that way since "the movie"

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    fly shops have been that way since "the movie"
    Elitist pricks, yes. Hipsters, no. But there are plenty of ways to be an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    How much are you looking to spend? If you don't need a super beefy salt reel, how about the Sage 2200 series?

What shop in MSP?
    +1 for the Sage 2210, a lot more reel than the Ion for just a few bucks more. And Mike at Mend Provisions is an odd duck but actually a pretty good dude if you get to know him. Interesting background.

Lamson velocity's are getting blown out cheap all over the web right now. I picked up a 3x for $150 at Sierra trading post a couple weeks ago.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

I use the Allen Alpha III. Pretty fairly priced at 160ish. Tons of guys use them for salt to. If you go to Paflyfish.com there is a link at the top of the forum page for a code to get 20% off your first purchase.
    "The riding never stops" Craig Kelly