Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    wow, if just looking at the silhouette of of the teeth and gaps on that chainring I'd say it looks pretty good relative to what a truly worn one looks like. I can see the wear but surprised it was enough to give you that much trouble.

Funken, for what it's worth i was running an SLX clutch, no RAD cage and B screw way out. The shifting in the small cogs was brutal. I got a RAD cage and it was night and day. Incredible shifting and the B screw was wound out only a small amount (I was surprised).

Fast forward a couple of months and I am using a different frame so moved my 1x10 OneUp, + RAD Cage over to new bike and B screw had to be out much further to allow it to not ride on the 42. Clearly this would lead me to believe there is some variance in rear derailleur mount point between frame makers.

Doesn't the b screw have to be further in to not have it rub on the 42? Backing the b screw out brings the arm closer to the cogs. Mine is backed out as far as possible without rubbing (arm is closer to cogs).

pardon my retardation. That is what I meant in the latter end of my above post: that on the new frame the B screw had to be much farther in (not out as I mistakenly said).

You also running a 42 or a 40? If you are running a 42 and your B screw is backed all the way out with a RAD cage then there is no doubt that the rear D mount location varies from frame to frame, which of course can be expected, but the degree of variance seems pretty significant even between my two frames.
    Last edited by Johnny Sizzler; 09-05-2014 at 01:34 PM.

I recently got a RAD cage and I am quite impressed. I picked up a 42t Wolftooth GC this spring and the shifting was so bad in the small cogs that I took it off and rode 11-36 all summer. My fitness is not where it was a few months ago, which rekindled my quest for an easier gear without reverting to a front derailleur. With the RAD cage, the shifting is pretty much as good as stock in all gears.

I had the issue that some have where the derailleur's parallelogram hits the cassette when in the smallest cog. The fix for this is to add a thin spacer on the derailleur mount to space the derailleur away, then adjust the limit screw accordingly. For those needing this, an M10 lock washer from the hardware store did the trick.

I installed the 42t and the 16t from Wolftooth. Before I just had the 42t without the 16t and it shifted good but I didn't like the jump. So I installed the 16t and the shifting isn't that great going up. Then I bought the rad cage from Oneup to see if it'll help, it really didn't! Maybe I need to make small adjustments tho. I'm still happy with my setup.

I finally added bits to my bike. 42t Oneup on the back, the 16t & 30t raceface chainring on the front. Derallieur is a sram 10sp X9. Guess I got lucky & got the B screw in just the right place because everything shifts just fine. I cut the chain so its at the max length when in the smallest cog, may prove to be a bit loose but I can take links out easily. Just 1 ride so far, but so far so good.

Praxis works just came out with an affordable 11-40 10sp cassette...

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/inter...e#.VQvy0M2COK0

...that they claim to work with any mid or long-cage derailleur - could be a game changer.

40t upgrade. Yay or nay on 16t as well?

Quote Originally Posted by scharny View Post
    Praxis works just came out with an affordable 11-40 10sp cassette...

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/inter...e#.VQvy0M2COK0

...that they claim to work with any mid or long-cage derailleur - could be a game changer.
    An affordable 10 speed 11x40 cassette ftmfw! I don't know why shimano didn't jump on this first. I'll be the first in line for one of these.

Yeah, I'd been holding off as I don't NEED the 40-tooth for where I am but it'd sure be nice. Reading all the different setups everyone seemed to have to tweak a bit here or there. I figure with a dedicated cassette, there'll be less to go wrong? Plus, buying a new xt cassette and the adapter plate runs you up over the price Praxis is advertising. I hope they get these out soon, definitely considering picking one up!

Go figure. I just ordered WT 42T GC, 16T cog, 30T chain ring, and OU RADr cage, plus a few other odds & ends, to mod my XT setup. Good to know that there might be an alternative to try later if I notice shifting problems around the 16T, although I haven't read of any with the WT 16T & RADr cage.