clean mri knee pain

I injured my knee while running. I relaxed the joint began training again and entered a marathon. After mile 15 the knee grew very sore. I didn't finish. I went to a orthopedic doctor who sent me to physical therapy and scheduled an MRI. He said the MRI showed a good stable knee. I was fitted with orthodics completed my physical therapy and still had pain (outside left knee near the bottom). Still pain after running about 3 miles. He then gave me 2 injections, synthesis_the chicken shot, and later cortisone. All these remedies failed. What do I do now? Still have the pain, no swelling....... What in the world should I do? Very frustrated.

Sounds like the ITB insertion is irritated. Lots of ITB stretches and rolling on a foam roller could help. Does it act up going downhill especially?

That said, no MRI is 100% accurate, so it certainly could be a lateral meniscus tear.

My 0.02...

Oh and gimp central!

Good luck..

Sent from my XT907 using TGR Forums
    Last edited by peterslovo; 04-20-2014 at 08:23 AM.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

It hurts going down hill especially. Do I need another MRI?

I second the it band insertion, classically hurts more downhill. Do the stretches, ice. I bet it clicks when it hurts as well.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Todd, like the others have said, it sounds like IT Band Syndrome. It usually stems from weak/tight muscles surrounding the hip. Have been dealing with chronic IT band issues for a while now. PM me if you want more info. Good place to start is some mobility work for the hips, quads, tfl, glutes, etc.

Also found that my anterior tibialis on the affected side was tight, I've been smashing that muscle with a kettlebell, which seems to help. Once you get the pain under control then some easy strengthening exercises, clamshells being the best to start off.

If hiking downhill hurts, don't do it for a while, the last thing you want to do is keep flaring it up. The same program doesn't work for everyone, keep with it and you'll get results.

x5 on the it band irritation. Had it off and on since a torn acl put me down for a while. Foam roller, lots of core, lower body strengthening, and a pt beating up on my anterior tibialis helped. It pops up from time to time, lots of foam rolling and stretching helps.

Sounds like the condition has worsened. Why don't you consider discussing it with other orthopedic doctors at OrthoTexas, Frisco? I also consulted them for the treatment of my knee condition.

Had pain in my knee when descending mountains and it was related to tight ITB, which a massage therapist worked out, but she also said she could feel some calcium deposits in the joints so she massaged them out as well. And when I say massaged I mean it was pretty painful, but once she got those deposits out the pain never came back and I never made any effort to stretch the ITB. So I tend to think the pain was more related to the gunk in the joints than the tight ITB.

Good luck.