Roof Rack Suggestions

I tried searching around, but didn't find much. Going to try and pick up a roof rack on sale this spring for next winter. Going to be on a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, so it has OEM Side Rails but no crossbars. They are raised (see picture).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CarRevsDaily.com-Says-Sorry-to-Macho-2014-Cherokee-Trailhawk-35-800x501.jpg 
Views:	687 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	154417

Don't think It will ever be used with anything other than skis, so I don't see the need to by crossbars that can then be used with other attachments. From what I can tell most racks don't include the crossbars, just have the ski camping mechanism. Only one I have seen that seems to just connect to the side rails is the Thule snowcat: http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produc...t-5401-_-14332

Doesn't look bad, but just wondering if anyone has experience with it or has other suggestions. Would prefer one that can fit 4 pairs of wider skis, and can lock.

Thanks

I went with Thule 11 box. Maybe $100 more than fat cat but holds all kinds of gear. I have put 4 pairs super fat poles and boots.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Roof box is a great way to transport those dead hookers to the dump site without getting DNA all over the inside of your nice new vemhicle.

Oh and it keeps that narsty road grime of your boutique boards/bindings.

Get sum Thule or Yakkyma cross bars with appropriate mounts for your unit. You never know when some nice mtn bikes might like to ride up thar too.
    watch out for snakes

look at the thule fit guide, it works pretty well! I use a 4 skis rack in town one that slides out so a little easier to handle! I also have a box that I use for trips!

think they call pull top, I like that no tools are needed to install/remove it!

backcountry had a 20% on full price items + 12% cash back from active junky makes it a pretty good deal for racks/bars/roof boxes!

let me know if you need an invite for activejunky! I get 5 bucks ;-)

I should have provided a bit more information. We have a 2012 f150 as well, which is what we normally take up skiing (throw skis in the back under a flat hard top cover, on top of some rubber horse stall mats). With the extra 400lb from mats and gear in the back it's a pretty beastly ride in the mtns. Also good for hauling gear for camping, trips etc. have a hitch bike rack too.

Would just like the ability to take the jeep skiing, especially on drier roads because saves $25~ on fuel. And various times/circumstances I can't take the truck.

Hugh Conway Guest
    2*4, duct tape, bungee cord = dun

Throw the skis inside. Done!

Store skis in locker at hill.
    watch out for snakes

Yak vs. Thule bars are six of one, half a dozen of the other, IMO. Either or. Look into the Whispbars if you want the quieter sleeker-looking, $$$ ones.

How do you like the Trailhawk? I miss my XJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

the Snowcat is really all you are looking for.

However, it is a ski only solution that only works for vehicles with siderails. I always find other things I want to transport that I would prefer to have on actual crossbars (like a random ladder, or canoe). If you are sure that skis are all you want to transport, the Snowcat will get it done, and fits all your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post

How do you like the Trailhawk? I miss my XJ.
    It's been great! Only have had it since New Years, already put a good 5300 miles on it. Great in the snow. We decided to order the tech package (vs a sunroof, which all the preordered ones had-pretty much the same price)- really nice. Keyless entry, lanes sense, surround sensors, intelligent cruise control, blind spot monitoring- all work well. The v6 is great, some people (industry reviews) complain about the 9 speed, but they always reference it with the 4 cylinder. Get the bigger engine and it's very snappy. Corners very well. Might try to do a little (minor) off-roading with it this summer. Plenty roomy for its class. Price fully decked out was pretty good nice compared to other suvs or getting a bigger car. All in all very happy with the purchase.

I will look and see how cheap i could get the bars and top ski attachment, if it's close to the snowcat I might do that. Otherwise I'll just get the snowcat.

If you look around sometimes you can get a good deal on a used pair of crossbars, same for the ski attachment. Then the only part you need to pay full $ for is the pieces that are specific to attaching to your side rails. I did something like this to fit the hardpoints on my hatchback.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    It's been great! Only have had it since New Years, already put a good 5300 miles on it. Great in the snow. We decided to order the tech package (vs a sunroof, which all the preordered ones had-pretty much the same price)- really nice. Keyless entry, lanes sense, surround sensors, intelligent cruise control, blind spot monitoring- all work well. The v6 is great, some people (industry reviews) complain about the 9 speed, but they always reference it with the 4 cylinder. Get the bigger engine and it's very snappy. Corners very well. Might try to do a little (minor) off-roading with it this summer. Plenty roomy for its class. Price fully decked out was pretty good nice compared to other suvs or getting a bigger car. All in all very happy with the purchase.
    Cool. We replaced my Jeep with a 4Runner in August, but the next car in 3 or so years is going to be something like the CX-5/Escape class that the new Cherokee competes in, so I'm interested in long-term reviews to see if it competes. My wife thinks it's fugly (I'm agnostic), but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    If you look around sometimes you can get a good deal on a used pair of crossbars, same for the ski attachment. Then the only part you need to pay full $ for is the pieces that are specific to attaching to your side rails. I did something like this to fit the hardpoints on my hatchback.
    This is good advice. The hardware is pretty durable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Send a PM to a guy named mtskier here on TGR.

He owns a store that specializes in Thule and Yakima. He can cut you a great deal. He hooked me up with my Thule rack on my Subaru.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I'll do that!

Searched around some more. Think inking about getting the inno dual angle ski rack. Seams pretty well made,and versatile. Hand a bit bigger than the Thule snowcat

Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    the Snowcat is really all you are looking for. However, it is a ski only solution that only works for vehicles with siderails. I always find other things I want to transport that I would prefer to have on actual crossbars (like a random ladder, or canoe). If you are sure that skis are all you want to transport, the Snowcat will get it done, and fits all your requirements.
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    I agree with both of these. The snowcat is a limited use tool. For the same price and an hour on craigslist, you could get some used crossbars and a ski rack. It'll be more versatile, more durable, and have a higher resale value.

Thule vs. Yakima is a non-issue. They both make good products. But once you buy into one system, you tend to stick with it. (Think Canon vs. Nikon.)

I went the Craigslist route and found Thule cross bars, a pull-top ski rack and two Sidearm bike trays for less than half of retail, all in pretty decent condition. I bought car specific mounts and locks from Rack Attack and paid em $25 to mount everything. Very happy with both the ski and bike racks, I was going to go the box route but rocks/road grime isn't that big a deal on the Sea to Sky and didn't want to have to take it on/off to load bikes.

Just an update-I ended up getting the inno dual angle dedicated ski rack. $100, awesome deal. It's really a great design, seams very sturdy. Can fit two pairs of fatties on each side, or 2 snowboards per side. Also really quick to take on an off, so that's nice.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004JM...&pi=SX200_QL40