Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polartech Powershield Pro - Long term durability Fail.

I've now had approximately 50 days using a Patagonia Knifeblade Pullover, and 30 days using Patagonia Knifeblade pants, all ski touring. They're both lightweight, fitted, unrestricting, minimalists shells that breathe as well as any softshell, yet are as weatherproof as any hardshell, for ski touring. I've never used anything that keeps me as dry during a big day touring while it's dumping, and I'm a believer in the performance characteristics of the membrane.

However, while the exterior of the fabric appears as new, after 50/30 days use the interior mesh layer is delaminating and the Polartech Powershield Pro membrane is flaking off wherever it has been subjected to repeated elastic stress (it's a stretch fabric). It's not a minor thing, I'm talking about all across the neck and back of the pullover and throughout the crotch of the pants. They're from different production years, so it'd be difficult to blame it on a bad batch. I've now sent them back to Patagonia, and am confident I'll be refunded.

Despite how well the Powershield Pro membrane works, with such limited durability I can't see that it has a future unless this can be resolved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0943.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	918.8 KB 
ID:	154414

Name:	DSC00400.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	154415

Shiiiit... I have the same jacket sad. No issues yet. Looks like in the future I am gonna go for a walmart wind shirt and an army poncho. Fuck this shit.

Well this thread is a shit show of small sample sizes and complaining consumers already so I'll just move along.

Perhaps the fabric was from the same batch as (gasp) companies buy a shit load and make multiple years worth of garments when they carry over colors. Maybe they'll warranty your shit with the same jacket/pant that lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Well this thread is a shit show of small sample sizes and complaining consumers already so I'll just move along.

Perhaps the fabric was from the same batch as (gasp) companies buy a shit load and make multiple years worth of garments when they carry over colors. Maybe they'll warranty your shit with the same jacket/pant that lasts.
    I took a chance on new unproven technology, and this is my experience. Make of it what you will.
    Throughout the 90's, every 3 layer Goretex garment that I used reliably delaminated within a season or so, while covered by Gore's lifetime warranty. So I just replaced my jacket and pants every year. None of this seemed to effect Gore's sales or reputation, and it's possible that Polartech/Finetex will sort out these issues sooner than later. Flipping gear regularly isn't an issue when you've a local retailer to handle it for you, but as I have to deal with this through international mail order, it becomes an expensive pain in the ass. I'm going to take my refund and give the OR Enchainment Jacket /Trailbreaker Pant combo a try.

Would you mind posting some pictures that are in focus and more clear. The one you have put up when clicked is completely blurry. I would really like to see what is going on with the fabric. thanks
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    Would you mind posting some pictures that are in focus and more clear. The one you have put up when clicked is completely blurry. I would really like to see what is going on with the fabric. thanks
    I've already sent them back, so this is best I have. It shows the seam through the crotch of the pants, and obvious cracking and flaking of the membrane.

Name:	IMG_0944.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	154444

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I've already sent them back, so this is best I have. It shows the seam through the crotch of the pants, and obvious cracking and flaking of the membrane.
    Do you wax your snatch? That may help.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post

Name:	IMG_0944.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	154444
    \

I'm unfamiliar with the garment. The flaking in picture is membrane? So, no tricot or fleece covering it? just raw membrane?
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

^^Yeah, I find that a little hard to believe. I've had stuff flake on me, but it's usually the backing material, not the membrane.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Do you wax your snatch? That may help.
    It's possible that vigorous post freeze dried flatulence may have contributed.

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    \

I'm unfamiliar with the garment. The flaking in picture is membrane? So, no tricot or fleece covering it? just raw membrane?
    The flaking is the finetex membrane. The darker areas are the exposed face fabric. There's a light grid lining laminated to the inside, but doesn't seem to limit the cracking/flaking of the membrane, and it too has delaminated in large sections.

Patagonia shop staff told me that they're finishing with the Knifeblade series and Polarshield Pro fabric this Spring.

I had the exact same problem as kootenay with less than 20 days touring. Patagonia chose to issue a "gift card" instead of replacing the pants. Now I do notice sales on the knifeblade series from other sources. I have been a Polartech fan, but I would recommend avoiding this product.

Quote Originally Posted by dewam View Post
    I had the exact same problem as kootenay with less than 20 days touring. Patagonia chose to issue a "gift card" instead of replacing the pants. Now I do notice sales on the knifeblade series from other sources. I have been a Polartech fan, but I would recommend avoiding this product.
    If you were a cynic, you'd buy a Knifeblade PO from REI at $137 (see current thread in Gearswap). Wear it. And then warranty it for whatever they come out with for fall that's better. Only a cynic having read this thread, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

New technologies don't always work in full production they way they do in beta testing. Too bad this is happening, and it will be interesting to see if this is a wide spread or just local production problem.

Ultimately it comes down to the companies warranty, and so far pattigucci is one of the best.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised that this is failing after 50 days of use.

One would hope a $375 jacket would last a whole season, preferable a few seasons.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I have had 3 softshells fail in the last 5 years, the patigucci heat sealed seams that fell apart, the too minimalist Kacked zipper in a Mtn Hardwear, the stitching coming out in an MEC

I can chose to be all butt hurt and whine on TGR like a little girl OR be happy they warrantied everything so I got 5 yrs of usage for free and was able to move up into the latest greatest (or sft?) neo shell
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The patigucci laser seams are a great example. Brilliant idea, low bulk, less weight, no leaks, etc. They did great on a small scale, but turned out to fall apart once mass produced.

This is exactly why I don't jump on the new drug bandwagon every time some new "wonder drug" comes out. I let other vets kill off a few patients before I decide if I was to use it.

New fabrics, or any new technology is like that; some of it turns out to be great, sometimes it is crap. The "Knifeblade" sounded a little too good to be true.

iscariot

I also don't understand this level of butthurt. Yes, you may be right about not jumping on the latest-and-greatest bandwagon. However, it's not like the gear failed catastrophically during a tour leaving you cold, stranded, whiny and alone. It wore out gradually. Plus, it's from Patagonia, so if it fails in any way whatsoever or you're otherwise not happy with it... you get a new one, for free. Or a gift card, or whatever. That's why Patagucci is what it is.

So what's the big deal?

I won a Knifeblade Jacket at a movie premier raffle this past fall. Toured in it, wore it lift served, building forts and sledding with the kids, even stacked wood in it. basically beat the shit out of it for about 50-60 days, the thing looks brand new. If I had to do it all over again, I would still buy that $1 raffle ticket, even if I didnt win. Well worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    I also don't understand this level of butthurt. Yes, you may be right about not jumping on the latest-and-greatest bandwagon. However, it's not like the gear failed catastrophically during a tour leaving you cold, stranded, whiny and alone. It wore out gradually. Plus, it's from Patagonia, so if it fails in any way whatsoever or you're otherwise not happy with it... you get a new one, for free. Or a gift card, or whatever. That's why Patagucci is what it is.

So what's the big deal?
    Exactly. Patagonia took back an 8 year old pair of my primo ski pants this past season and replaced them with brand new pair. Free no questions asked. Stop your bitching and send back the jacket or bring it back to your local Patagonia store. Whiny puss.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

I own a pair of OR taped gortex mitts/shells that I bought from MEC maybe 20 years ago, I warrantied them 3 times in 5 or 6 yers at MEC cuz the tape kept falling off the seams

the last warranty claim instead of the OR mitts I got the MEC mitt/shells which were superiour cuz the tape did not fall off the seams and that is the problem

because the tape did not fail I couldn't get warranty SO these shells are starting to wear out ... I might have to buy new shells
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post

So what's the big deal?
    Low level of butt hurt and not such a big deal. Just relating my experience with others that might share my interest in high performance fabrics for skiing. Powershield Pro initially seemed like the latest and greatest, and I've extolled its' virtues on this Forum and elsewhere, but I now believe it to be fundamentally flawed, and I've tried to explain why. I don't think that expecting Patagonia's premier soft-shells to last more than part of a season is unreasonable.

I have ~30 days on a Knifeblade jacket. No issues so far. My favorite jacket ever.