Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dynafit Mercury/Vulcan fit

How does the Dynafit Mercury/Vulcan mondo sizing compare to your alpine mondo sizing for a k2 or a full tilt etc...? Did you have to size up? The BSL of the mercury and vulcan seem about 10 mm shorter than an alpine comparison.

I'm in a 25.5 salomon ghost, 295mm, and the 25.5 Merc at 284mm fits great with an intuition pro tour (room to spare) for what that's worth, hope that helps-

Thanks for the info. Do you have to squeeze into the 25 or is it the normal? I'm kind of between 25 and 26 but am constantly jamming into 25 with some success but some shitty deals.

Currently in a 26.5 Solly Gun and Ghost. 304bsl. Gun fits perfect. The Ghost almost perfect.

I tried on the 26 Mecury(294mm) and it is really tight, but not so much the length. It is across the bridge of my foot, where the middle buckle is, that is super tight. Maybe too tight. Seems like a volume thing.

When I tried the 26.5 in the Atomic Waymaker and Nordica Cochise, they felt kind of huge on my foot. Some heel lift. I did not crank them down all they way, but in a brand new boot I like to be on the first buckles.

26.5 in the Scarpa Maestrale felt like a better fit all around.

Except for the tightness across the top of my foot, the Mercury felt like the nicest vice like grip and stiffest in the group. If I can find a 25.5 Cochise or a 27 Mercury, I'd love to try them on. The Chocise seems way easier to deal with.

I sized up, but the BSL of Dynafit boots isn't always the best indicator of interior length. I wear a 26.5 in a Lange RS 130 or K2 Pinnacle 130, a 27.5 in a Mercury/Vulcan, and 27.5 in a TLT5 or TLT6. The TLT5/6 BSL is 297mm while the Mercury/Vulcan is 304mm.

Other reasons to size up include a tight medial midfoot and low instep in the Merc/Vulc and not wanting to risk torturing your feet while touring. You probably don't want a race fit for those 5k uphill days anyway.

Ghost is roomy in toe box (length), as is the Merc. I was sceptical as well on the 11mm shorter BSL, but the fit for me is the same, which is wild. I have a skinny heel and a medium tohigh instep. Seems like a heat moldable liner can either take up volume, or allow for a tighter fit. My .02-

BSL is boot sole length, would assume the difference in bsl is due to the lack of DIN lugs and the interior length is similar to other boots of the same mondo size

REI carries mercury's, no? If you have one local have them bring in your size in to try on

I wear a 29 in both my Atomic Ti130s and my Mercuries (I've only skied them for 1 day so far, but they seem ok). I would say that the internal length of them both is similar, though there is the question of whether you want an aggressive alpine fit in your touring boots, or whether you want more space to be comfortable. For me I accepted the aggressive fit as my feet are so narrow the 30 felt like a bucket, though given the choice I would have liked the extra length.

I was able to go 25 in a lange and in a titan with a tight shell fit made more comfortable with intuition liner.
    I decided go 26 in the mercury with stock liner.
    difference in bsl is because of din toe and heel lugs as was mentioned above.

You can also order from backcountry and try them on (indoors) and return if they don't fit and you'd only be out the 7-10 bucks they charge for UPS label.
    Aggressive in my own mind

Stoked about all the info and its super helpful. Nearest shop with a Dynafit is about 7 hours away.

Thanks guys

I wear a 26.5 Cochise. A 26.5 in a mercury gives me about the same length shell fit, a 27.5 TLT6 is a bit tighter (length wise). I would likely ski a 27.5 Mercury, again due to instep volume issues. I would ski a 28.5 TLT6, but I'd get better performance from a stiff soled hiking boot with tech fittings.

Personally I think Dynafit dropped the stated size in the TLT6 to achieve a lighter 'internet' weight. Its pretty easy to get your boot lighter if you are comparing your 25 to the other guy's 26.

Xavier, does your Cochise have a lot more volume than your Mercury? 26 to 26.5 I felt a huge difference, and have kind of ruled out the Cochise after putting it back on. Super comfy, but pretty easy to lift my heal.

I found a pair of 27 Mercury that I can order, but I would have to handle the return myself. Not sure how much that would cost, but Backcountry and REI don't have a 27 right now. After trying on the 26 again this morning, the fit is tight, but not quite as tight as it was a few days ago. Perhaps my foot is just getting used to it.

Length in the 26 seems right, but volume is just a bit low. Anyone have an idea if the volume will pack out over time? Would a 26.5 be the way to go? I usually assume that just trying a thinner liner will not make all that much difference. I think I just might have a bit too much foot volume for the Mercury, but everything else about it seems right on.

For those of you who are in the Mecury, how do you feel about putting in/removing the stiff tongue. It does seem to make a huge difference in walk mode, but without it, boot seems abit soft for skiing. Hoarhey, Xavier?

So wish I was 5 hours closer to a boot fitter, or even a decent ski shop.

25.5 RX130 LV (toe punch), 25.5 Maestrale (stock), and 26.5 Mercury (stock) for my US 9.5 foot. I probably could have fit the 25.5 Mercury, but it likely would have required punching to be comfortable enough to tour in. My old 25.5 Maestrales are comfortable out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Length in the 26 seems right, but volume is just a bit low. Anyone have an idea if the volume will pack out over time? Would a 26.5 be the way to go? I usually assume that just trying a thinner liner will not make all that much difference. I think I just might have a bit too much foot volume for the Mercury, but everything else about it seems right on.

For those of you who are in the Mecury, how do you feel about putting in/removing the stiff tongue. It does seem to make a huge difference in walk mode, but without it, boot seems abit soft for skiing. Hoarhey, Xavier?
    The liners will pack out a little bit...but not as much as an Intuition in my experience. The foam is definitely more dense.

Regarding the tongue, I usually leave it out. It makes a big difference in walk mode, and a somewhat noticeable but not huge difference downhill. I ski hard and jump off things without the tongues and it doesn't bother me, but I'm only 155lb so I don't need anything super stiff.

Xavier, does your Cochise have a lot more volume than your Mercury? 26 to 26.5 I felt a huge difference, and have kind of ruled out the Cochise after putting it back on. Super comfy, but pretty easy to lift my heal.
    This is my experience too. I'm now looking for a stiffer alpine boot that fits like my ONE's (same fit as mercury/vulcan).
    My resort boots right now are the cochise with eliminators and some bontex to try and lock my heel down but after getting the dynafits this year I realized how much I was still swimming in them. The dynafits fit awesome, I've got skinny heels and low volume feet but they're wide at the toes. Used to ride full tilts but would lose toenails every season.
    The vulcan isn't really an option because I have lots of pivot binders and I don't want to spend 900 bucks when I already have AT boots that I'm perfectly happy with. Hoping to find a 120-130ish flex alpine boot with low volume and a wide toebox.
    sorry for the thread drift.

The cochise has significantly more volume than the mercury. That is why I would need to go to a 27.5 mercury.
    I have a comfortable fit in the cochise, no where close to a race fit. I could ski in the 25 if I so desired, but I don't, and like the extra cm of toe room for touring.

I don't have the mercury or TLT6, I just know how they fit, and how I would size them for myself.

I usually assume that just trying a thinner liner will not make all that much difference.
    I've stayed out of this thread so far because I haven't skied my Vulcans yet. But in carpet testing, dropping from a 27 to a 26 was possible with a (very-thin, molded-for-my-alpine-boots) intuition plug liner. With both the stock liner and a pro tour, the 27 crushed my instep and still didn't quite give me the heel hold I wanted. So I wouldn't rule out a thinner liner at all.

For reference, I wear a 26 alpine boot with a very snug fit (or a small 27 alpine boot with some room). My bigger foot measures 276 mm long and ~103 wide (IIRC).
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I've narrow heels and calves, regular instep and fore-foot. Shop fit in the Mercury is positive, while I'm swimming in previous model Cochise. Anyone tried both Mercury/Vulcan and 14/15 Cochise for comparison?

If the Mercury/Vulcan fit you really well in the shop, the Cochise won't fit you. Different width heel pockets. The Cochise is not for people with narrow heels. The 14/15 Cochise doesn't really change this. I have a pretty square foot. The Cochise really fits me well, and the Mercury/Vulcan can fit me with an Intuition liner and some punching. The instep is also higher, but for someone with a regular instep, you should be able to make that part work at least. You can always pad the heel pocket, of course.

Note, that I size down in the Cochise - it's a long boot. I'm a 25 in the Cochise and a 26 in the Mercury/Vulcan. If you size down, you might want to get a different liner, though. I'm barely fitting the length of my Cochise 120s with the stock liner. Throwing in a size 26 Intuitioin Pro Tour created a LOT of toe space, while still maintaining similar skiability. However, I have to buckle the front of the boot down more (the upper buckles are about the same).

I take a 24 Mercury and a 24 Dalbello 4 buckle alpine boot ( the surge )

Due to a high instep I could not use the dynafit liner as it came so I have done 2 seasons in aftermarket liners, last year in a confrom'ables and this year in a power wrap

cutting the black patch off the instep of the stock liner made it useable
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I've narrow heels and calves, regular instep and fore-foot. Shop fit in the Mercury is positive, while I'm swimming in previous model Cochise. Anyone tried both Mercury/Vulcan and 14/15 Cochise for comparison?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    If the Mercury/Vulcan fit you really well in the shop, the Cochise won't fit you. Different width heel pockets. The Cochise is not for people with narrow heels. The 14/15 Cochise doesn't really change this. I have a pretty square foot. The Cochise really fits me well, and the Mercury/Vulcan can fit me with an Intuition liner and some punching. The instep is also higher, but for someone with a regular instep, you should be able to make that part work at least. You can always pad the heel pocket, of course.

Note, that I size down in the Cochise - it's a long boot. I'm a 25 in the Cochise and a 26 in the Mercury/Vulcan. If you size down, you might want to get a different liner, though. I'm barely fitting the length of my Cochise 120s with the stock liner. Throwing in a size 26 Intuitioin Pro Tour created a LOT of toe space, while still maintaining similar skiability. However, I have to buckle the front of the boot down more (the upper buckles are about the same).
    As Lindahl said the 14/15 Cochise has a bigger heel pocket. I also sized down in the Cochise. However substituting an Intuition liner in the Cochise and using footbeds in that liner took care of that space. I found the Cochise to get incredible heel hold and forefoot hold by tightening buckles fwiw

My feet are 262mm and I have Garmont G-1 150(25.5) and Dalbello Il moro T ID(25.5).
    They fit very well, so I was going to buy Vulcan(25.5).
    But they were tight around instep and the shop guy didn't recommend 25.5 for touring, for my 262mm feet.
    So I bought 26.0 but it seems mistake.
    After thermo molding, they fit very comfortable. and after few times skiing they became too roomy.
    For skinning, they're nice very comfortable.
    For skiing, I feel that these aren't my size though I padded a lot and tighten the buckles.
    I'll sell them and buy smaller ones again soon.

I think the size which is tight is right size because the thermo fit liners are thick and very formable.

Length in the 26 seems right, but volume is just a bit low. Anyone have an idea if the volume will pack out over time? Would a 26.5 be the way to go?
    The difference between 26 and 26.5 is just there are liners under insoles or not.

sorry for my poor English.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 2014-04-27 7 21 36.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	154704

If my experiences are of interest...

I don't often use the tongue, but it does improve the comfort and importantly the fit of the boot around my skiing feet. Without the tongue the buckles can squash the boot a little. Plus the liner is reasonably thin = it doesn't add much structure. The tongue does and makes the boot feel good when strapped up. Yet the increases stiffness from the tongue is of little use to me except on warm spring days. Putting in/removing the tongue is a hassle IMO, but I ski very frequently, usually powder and storms and moderate terrain... and just can't be bothered fiddling with just another bit of gear during the transition unless my day is a one hit wonder. I find the tongue flex a bit too binary as well.

No one asked: but the Merc liner on my foot beats any Intuition liner I have ever used in terms of fit. I'll continue to buy any AT boot that comes stock with a liner like the Mercury, won't need Intuition anymore.
    Last edited by neck beard; 04-26-2014 at 09:18 PM.
    Life is not lift served.

25.5 Vulcan, 25.5 TLT5P, 24.5 Lange RX 130 LV. No punches on anything.

bumping this old thread because i'm already looking towards winter and i'll need new boots and backcountry has a sale...
    i'm a little confused on sizing with the dyanfit bsl being different per size than langes/scarpas etc.
    seems like consensus is going both ways on fit. i've been in a 26.5 maestrale (306 bsl) comfortably but snug and a 26.5 xt130 (306 bsl) comfortably but snug. curious which vulcan size (26.5 (294 bsl or 27.5 304 bsl) is roughly the same size as the 26.5 maestrales.
    '

I was 26.5 in mango Maestrale, 26.5 in Lange XT/RS LV, 27.5 in Vulcan/Mercury . . .