Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    But would you really want to take the chance in your main home?
    That's exactly what I did with my "main home." So far, my only home. I build stuff BETTER than most contractors, because most contractors had to be the lowest bid (or thought they did) to get the job. I'm not paying for labor, so I can splurge on materials, and if trimming out a pocket door takes me three or four weeks (which it did because I only worked on it once in a while) then so be it. The end result is that the brand new wall, and brand new pocket door fit right in with my 110 year old house.

I'm all about the skilled labor. If I wanted to install 60 bathrooms, I'd hire a union contractor. If I was building a materials processing facility that used a shitload of high voltage equipment, I'd hire a union contractor. When I had a bunch of sheetrock finishing needed done, I hired someone who could make it look perfect. But this shit is really not that complicated.

sound insulation: if it's just isolating bathroom sounds from the bedroom (or vice versa), sound batt insulation in the perimeter partitions is usually enough to isolate sound. The next level of effort is to add a layer of sheet rock (increasing wall mass is a fairly good way to isolate the sounds). And the next level is to use resilient channel to hang the rock to isolate the vibrations from the wall. Next level is using staggered studs.

one layout option that people seem to like is to create a separate toilet space from the sink space. that way private moments and their lingering scents (and sounds, see above) can be isolated from partners brushing their teeth.

it sounds like you could get away without permits, but my guess is that their cost is fairly insignificant to the whole project in the long run. if nothing else, it's a double check that your subs (or you) are doing a half decent job. if you are hiring decent subs, most likely they'll pull trade permits on their own anyway

resilient channel:
    http://www.buildgp.com/GypsumAssemblyPrint.aspx?id=6

staggered stud:
    http://www.buildgp.com/GypsumAssemblyPrint.aspx?id=11
    Last edited by acinpdx; 04-18-2014 at 01:49 PM.

My experience is that you can get away with alot in term of non-permitted work. That said:

It is going to suck when you hire an electrician that pulls a permit and the building inspector shows up and sees your remodel that isn't permitted.

So if you think you are going need permits for plumbing etc it's something to think about. Also if you are moving interior walls and modifying exterior wall (ie windows) you might want to make sure they are not structural, which in the case of your extremely super high windload they might be.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

How old is the house?
    Any worry of playing with structural walls?
    How much time do you have to do it?

The thing is, if you're doing this yourself and don't have a ton of experience (sounds like you don't necessarily), there's a ton of things that will probably trip you up.

I just redid my master bedroom/bathroom and the kids room last summer. Didn't take out any permits and did all the work myself. Everything was stripped to the studs and relocated electrical and plumbing.

Bathroom - You're going to want in floor heat if you put down tile. I had electric baseboard and it was super easy to switch that over to the electric mat. I used the Thermosoft mat and poured self leveling cement over the top. Tile over that. I then built a tile shower with a bench in it. I used the Kerdi system to water proof it, which was really user friendly. Consult the forums at John Bridge for questions on any of that stuff.

Closet - Outside of the in floor heating, the next best thing I put in was a custom closet built from parts from Home Depot where you can mix and match hanging space, shelves, and drawers. I think Closet Maid was the system. I had a funky L-Shaped closet that I opened up and this system gave you the versatility to do whatever you wanted.

Bedrooms - Scraped the asbestos popcorn off the ceilings, ripped out the old carpet, ripped out the wood paneling and drywalled everything, new carpet, threw in a ceiling fan in our bedroom, and called it good. Not a crazy amount of work, but made a huge difference.

Wow... Thanks for the info guys. I will really consider not messing with the permit... I think that would run me about $1k, all by itself.

I hadn't planned to hire anyone out of the YP... I know a lady who does amazing finish work. Figure I can barter some computer support for some tile and wood finish. Also lucky to have a SE for a neighbor who tries to run his own comjputer network, but doesn't really know how - he owes me a couple of favors already. I will do a walk through with him to ensure there isn't any structural impact. If there is, I'll rework the project to avoid it.

I think I can probably get through the project without relocating the plumbing and electrical. Just some minor modifications and hooking up new fixtures. Electric floor heat isn't an option - we're on PV. Could do solar hot water, but probably won't... Would really add a degree of difficulty. Not sure what I'll do for flooring in the can - I agree that tile will be chilly in the winter. Have linoleum now - works good but looks like shit.

I really appreciate the tips guys...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by STFU&GBTW
    . .Tearing apart 2 bedrooms and a bathroom - tips?

Yes...shoot yourself now. Remodeling sucks

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    sound insulation: if it's just isolating bathroom sounds from the bedroom (or vice versa), sound batt insulation in the perimeter partitions is usually enough to isolate sound.
    irul and a plate of broccoli would change your mind real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Yes...shoot yourself now. Remodeling sucks
    Yep, it does. But it needs to be done, and around here, it's not just like you hire somebody and they do it. Hired a guy a coupke of years ago to do some work because I wanted it to look better than if I did it myself and it ended up being non stop bullshit and I ended up doing a bunch of it myself. Even just thinking about it, I'm still pissed off with that guy. If he was on fire and I had to piss, I'd go find a bathroom. Hired another guy to do the roof, because I'm just not qualified for that - same thing. 3 years later, I'm still picking up roofing nails. Talking to folks around here who've been here longer than I have and that seems to be par for the course. A lot of bullshit, results that aren't worth the money. This time, I'm just doing the whole thing myself.
    Hugh Conway sucks
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

damn, pocket doors? i have one and it bugs the shit outta me.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    damn, pocket doors? i have one and it bugs the shit outta me.
    Why's that? I have them in the lab at work and they're great space savers.
    Hugh Conway sucks

really, it just seems like it's more of a bitch to close when im runnin in there playing prairie dog games. i was thinking about the comment i made and trying to figure out when that design would make sense, but the revelation never showed - i guess if there's something in the area the door opened into? i don't know shit about shit about contracting or design/whatever, but i just couldn't think any benefit added [to me].

We put pocket doors in a bathroom addition we just did--they work fine, contractor installed the frame (you basically have to rebuild the stud wall where the door will go but it was very simple; if it's a bearing wall you may want to rethink) and I hung the doors--easier than hanging a regular non-prehung door. I don't know where you live but in California, the energy codes are such that enlarging a window can require complicated calculations that my architect had to refer to an energy engineer (if you're pulling a permit and depending on what codes are like where you live.) The energy codes can seem like bullshit, but we're up here in Truckee, the new bathroom is on the north side of the house, the floor is tile, there's no in floor heat, and this winter the new bathroom was still the warmest place in the house because the insulation and windows are so much better. Also, if your budget allows and you're on gas--maybe i missed that part--consider a condensing on demand water heater. We like ours.
    Last edited by old goat; 04-19-2014 at 12:36 AM.

This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Know nothing hacks installing tile showers = recipe for disaster. I look forward to the blog.

That said, tile floors in bathrooms suck. Try cork.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    irul and a plate of broccoli would change your mind real quick.
    Really more of a ventilation issue

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    no, you dont need permits.
    Quote Originally Posted by DickMerkin View Post
    No permit needed, especially if you're not adding an additional WC, or something substantial.
    Unless these guys are your neighbors, ignore that advice. The question of what is/isn't permitted work is 100% local. So are the consequences.

A friend just sold a house that they remodeled the basement. The buyer wants them to pull permits retroactively. They're trying to get permits. I'd tell the buyer to fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    A friend just sold a house that they remodeled the basement. The buyer wants them to pull permits retroactively. They're trying to get permits. I'd tell the buyer to fuck off.
    That's actually exactly how my buddy got fucked on the place he bought. Previous owner had finished the basement with no permits and he ended up having to pull permits for that job when he tried to get a permit to build a garage. Had to pay a fine as well... Total fucking scam.
    Hugh Conway sucks

Plastic off your remodel so you dont dust bomb your entire house.
    get a dumpster
    If its pre 1975 look out for asbestos
    demo that shit 100% to the studs, every nail everything
    dont buy anything from home depot
    make a comprehensive material list and have shit delivered
    rebuild

permits are based on your locality, if you live in a unincorporated area you could be golden. Call the building dept if there is one and ask. unless your making major structural changes its most likely an over the counter permit if that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    If its pre 1975 look out for asbestos
    And lead(pre '78).

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

Suck balls Hugh(probably what you had for breakfast)

Luckily - despite the fact that the place looks like it's been there since the war, the house is actually pretty new construction. The CO was issued in '97. No lead, no asbestos... Since we're doing the whole upstairs, I'll be hanging plastic sheet and blocking off the whole area. There won't be any reason to go up there besides working on it. Not sure about the dumpster... In the past, I've just put a big tarp out and chucked the stuff out the window onto it and them transferred the stuff to the truck. I'll look into it...

I really appreciate all the info guys... I'll post some updates of the epic success or failure as we get started..
    Hugh Conway sucks

The tarp -> truck plan works fine unless it is crumbly stuff like plaster or chipped tile or something that you have to laboriously re-shovel into the truck. In that case it is easier and cleaner to just dump it directly into a dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    The tarp -> truck plan works fine unless it is crumbly stuff like plaster or chipped tile or something that you have to laboriously re-shovel into the truck. In that case it is easier and cleaner to just dump it directly into a dumpster.
    That's pretty much the point of the tarp. Throw all the big stuff in the truck and then roll up the tarp with all the little crumbly stuff in it.
    Hugh Conway sucks

just dont skimp on materials...vinyl flooring and whatnot
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000