Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sounds like this is a first world and third world problem situation.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    kent could be our next rt3.
    If he's packin heat he could just force those pesky Sherpas to take him to the top... All the while protecting him from wolves.

kent could be our next rt3.
    Sure seems like a good candidate

He's from Alabama.

So probably had to get someone from out of state to help with the whole holding up the correct number of seven summit fingers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Hugh Conway Guest
    aren't half of the "colorado local" maggots originally from Alabama?

That guy Kent ^ reminds me of this quote from a 17 year old after the avalanche:

I'm 100 per cent committed to going forward,” she said. “I understand the risks, but it's been my lifelong dream to climb Everest and I've been working towards this for the last 10 years.
    Life long dream. At 17. At least she has ambition and an active outdoors life. Some worldly perspective might help though.

But hey, she has already started a book about her life:

Before she left, she said in an upcoming book about her life, The Girl Who Climbed Everest....
    I guess a book entitled The Girl Who Decided Not To Climb Everest After 16 Sherpas Died Dragging Tourists Like Me To The Summit just wouldn't sell an image worth anything in today's "me" world.

Poor Sherpas.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/aussi...419-36x6c.html

[I don't like to pick on a kid too young to know what the world is about. It is just that Everest summit tourists are a strange self-entitled bunch].
    Last edited by neck beard; 04-25-2014 at 08:26 PM.
    Life is not lift served.

I agree. Fuck your dreams of climbing everest. If its that important to you, figure it out for yourself. I dont believe hiring porters and having sherpas haul your gear up 4 high camps so you can suck fake oxygen on the top of the world counts as much of anything.. a hike in the park at best..
    long live the jahrator

I never "got" the Everest thing either....it's for over-achievers and narcissistic assholes

"Everest: for when bragging on FaceBook about running a marathon just isn't enough"

Instead she should write a book telling the life story and amazing accomplishment of the sherpas that perished in the slide. She could title it: 'How I never got to climb Everest, but found my humanity'
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    a strange self-entitled bunch].
    applies to plenty of other "mountain" people.

it's a striking mountain, quite pretty, with a spectacular setting and plenty of history. too bad about the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    applies to plenty of other "mountain" people.
    I'd say self important applies to plenty others*, not necessarily self entitled.

* and that applies at times to myself and the world I build around myself.
    Life is not lift served.

Hugh Conway Guest
    whatever parsing's necessary "mountain person"

They say you should never admit a flaw about yourself else a coward will jump up and capitalize upon it.

Hugh Coward, nothing more.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by totaliboard View Post
    I dont believe hiring porters and having sherpas haul your gear up 4 high camps so you can suck fake oxygen on the top of the world counts as much of anything.. a hike in the park at best..
    Pretty easy to throw stones if you haven't spent time above 6000m.

I'm not saying I agree with the commercial scene it has become but bigger teams putting a small number of people on a summit is pretty standard old school expedition style climbing.

But what do I know, as someone is sure to point out I'm just a dumb kid from the east coast with no experience above 6000m.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using TGR Forums
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    I never "got" the Everest thing either....it's for over-achievers and narcissistic assholes

i used to think i got it but i haven't for a long time. generally speaking, if you can't carry your own shit you shouldn't go is how i look at it. it's disregarding that and treating the place like a dump that helped me unget it.

spook Guest
    wonder what kind of conversations they had around the dinner table when that girl was 7 years old that would make her say she's had the dream to climb everest for the past 10 years.

i feel bad for the sherpas, especially their families, and i wish them the best in their cause. it's good to see them taking a stand. it's been a long time coming.

i have looked a little and haven't found it, many of the climbing sherpas are related (cousins, siblings, uncle/nephew/niece, etc.), were any of the recently deceased related? were any of the recently deceased related to other climbing sherpas that have died in the past; in other words, have immediate families suffered multiple tragedies including this recent one?

myself and many of my former coworkers knew a famous climbing sherpa, babu chiri sherpa. he was a great guy on a personal level and very accomplished. he set several everest records, co-owned a guiding company, built a school in his home village, was a western-based gear company sponsored athlete, and lived a quasi first-world lifestyle.... he was a pioneer for climbing sherpa's in many regards. he's dead; fell in a crevasse in camp 2 after a day of climbing, hauling, and guiding. he was 35 years old. he left 6 children and a wife behind.

the style of having porters haul gear up the big climbs for clients is also used in the states on guided trips. a classic example is the guided sierra high route ski from east to west. i'm not sure if all guiding companies do it, but many hire "porters" to haul most group gear from the trailhead to the pass (~6k vert) ahead of time to reduce the wear on the clients' first day.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 04-27-2014 at 04:17 PM. Reason: typo

worst part besides the Death of the Sherpas ,is the mountains of garbage left by the climbing teams.I dont wanna climb a garbage dump,with or without help!
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

no, it is not old school, read Hillary's notes, A.
    Ill have to go back and do that. I wasn't referring specifically to Hillary but more in a general 6000m+ sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using TGR Forums
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Hugh Conway Guest
    It's nothing like the "old school" scene Aaron; you aren't hiking for weeks to get there and be one of the only groups. It's an industry serving the summit to >500 people last year

It seems like our western presence in places like the Himalayas has a negative impact on the population there that functioned otherwise perfectly well on subsistence living..

Sure, not everyone on everest is a Sandy Pittman.. but i imagine there are a lot of them.
    long live the jahrator

It seems like our western presence in places like the Himalayas has a negative impact on the population there that functioned otherwise perfectly well on subsistence living..
    what are you talking about?

hot delta airline stewardess.
    I thought they were extinct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I thought they were extinct?
    Only on Delta

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    what are you talking about?
    the wastelands of oxygen canisters and human excrement that litter the glaciers there.. the fact that much of that region is being exploited in the interest of mountaineering is what im talking about.
    long live the jahrator

the wastelands of oxygen canisters and human excrement that litter the glaciers there.. the fact that much of that region is being exploited in the interest of mountaineering is what im talking about.
    thanks for elaborating. it's my understanding that prior to mountaineering exploits there was not "population there [on the glaciers and/or base camp areas] that functioned otherwise perfectly well on subsistence living".