Montana to Alaska - Late Spring

I'll be headed towards Haines, AK from Montana mid- to late-May and looking for some beta on where you guys would recommended hitting up along the way - ski touring/mini-traverses/etc. I've done a little bit of research into the backcountry areas around Smithers, BC that look incredible! Really only have <10 days to make the drive so as close to HWY 16/37 through BC would be ideal. I'm assuming conditions might be on the downturn that time of year, but it'll be my first trek through that part of Canada and super stoked on getting out on some of it!

You'll find stuff along the Icefields Parkway (#93) between Lake Louise and Jasper, particularly if you're comfortable with more mountaineering-oriented skiing. Summits & Icefields 1 by Chic Scott is a good reference if you're looking for ideas.

I know nothing about NW BC, so I can't help you there.

Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    You'll find stuff along the Icefields Parkway (#93) between Lake Louise and Jasper, particularly if you're comfortable with more mountaineering-oriented skiing. Summits & Icefields 1 by Chic Scott is a good reference if you're looking for ideas.

I know nothing about NW BC, so I can't help you there.
    Nice! I've done a little bit of skiing along there, around the Bow Lake area. Does the snow usually hold on until then?

You should find stuff between Carcross and Skagway, or outside Whitehorse, but by then you're pretty much to Haines. Drove your route 5 years ago mid May and everything from Jasper north to Kluane was either snow free or such a haul from the road it wasn't worth it while passing. Be sure to stop at Liard.

Quote Originally Posted by WesleyDean View Post
    Nice! I've done a little bit of skiing along there, around the Bow Lake area. Does the snow usually hold on until then?
    There will still be snow then, but without a good overnight freeze it will be a slog to get up to where it did freeze overnight. It's probably worth poking around the Parker's Ridge / Icefields Centre area, there are plenty of north-facing slopes and some higher peaks, depending on the conditions.