Good while it lasted. FKNA...here we go...Peroneal subluxation...again.

It *was* an epic winter. Great skiing, lotsa snow (it's STILL snowing here!!), and no injury issues...until last weekend.

I went to Lutsen for the "Spring Meltdown" - their usual last weekend open, which is also usually the last area to close in MN. Plenty of snow, cool temps, lotsa melt/freeze though. Temps had been in the 50's most of the week (upper 30's at night), until the night we got there, where they dropped down into the 20's. They had been closed during the week. The groomers came out Friday night in anticipation of opening for the weekend. With soft snow, they had some grooming issues. Lots of ruts (like up to 6-8" deep), erratic terrain changes, and flat light.

I was on the tele boards (NTN w/TX Comps), came over a "hump" mid-turn to my left, landed a bit off balance transitioning into a right turn, caught one of those deep ruts, augered a tip, ass-over-teakettle, *HOT PAIN*, stood up, *POP*, peroneal tendon is in front of my ankle bone...again. Skied down, took the gondy to the bar, proceeded to get HAMMERED.

I'm home now. All braced up, but not in a boot. I'm gonna give this one a shot on my own and see what happens. If in a month it is still popping, I'll go in for an MRI I suppose.

Anyone out there in gimp-land have this injury more than once?
    Did you rehab it again?
    Are you still skiing the way you did?

I think my tele days just ended though - the risk is just a bit much I'm afraid. Softer boots, less support, the mechanics of it - lots of ankle flexion and dynamic movements compared to alpine where more is from the knee. Really sucks too, since tele is one of the few ways to make the midwest ski scene suck a little less.

Just venting mostly. Just wondering if any others are limping around in my shoes too. Does the elimination of tele make sense?

Just as a reference, here was last time: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...011?highlight=
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    ...... Does the elimination of tele make sense? ......
    Lightranger sez yes; different injury, but same question. I'm contemplating that first step away from free-heel for next year, because my old decrepit body can no longer handle powder in the inevitable bad light conditions. Sooner or later .....

Just sorry to hear this. GWS.

Non-gimped blog follows: I got my first non-AT alpine setup (Blizzard Scouts and Marker Lord) a couple of weeks ago, in honor of turning old enough to collect Social Security. I took it out a couple of times and it was fun but I'm pretty used to tele, so it'll probably only get used sometimes. I figure taking up golf might be the next step.

Apologies for the thrunting.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Lightranger sez yes; different injury, but same question. I'm contemplating that first step away from free-heel for next year, because my old decrepit body can no longer handle powder in the inevitable bad light conditions. Sooner or later .....
    Yep...sooner or later... I was hoping for a little bit later though. That said, I'll experience some quiver slimming I guess...which can't be all bad, since my tele quiver pretty much mirrors about 75% of my alpine quiver.

I'm just scared to give a 3rd chance. I don't know what the joint has left in it to handle it. Bad ankles on top of beat up knees is not a recipe for longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I figure taking up golf might be the next step.

Apologies for the thrunting.
    No worries and thanks for the 'vibes'.

No-can-do on the golf thing. L5-S1 disk herniation...a morning at the driving range is what set it off...

I'm still feeling the irony (and regret) from the day we had someone come into the aid room with an ankle injury, and my first comment to one of my patrol team was, "How the hell do you injure an ankle in a ski boot?" I'm becoming 'quite aware'...
    Last edited by axebiker; 04-17-2014 at 12:39 PM.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Yes, I had that injury twice. First time was rehabbed via cast and crutches for ~6 weeks, then gradual increase in stress/PT/etc. with full return to activity after 6mo. Happened again around month 7. Had surgery the second time, same recovery program. No problems since (~8 years now), in fact, it is stronger than the other ankle. I've done extensive tele skiing since the surgery with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Yes, I had that injury twice. First time was rehabbed via cast and crutches for ~6 weeks, then gradual increase in stress/PT/etc. with full return to activity after 6mo. Happened again around month 7. Had surgery the second time, same recovery program. No problems since (~8 years now), in fact, it is stronger than the other ankle. I've done extensive tele skiing since the surgery with no issues.
    Interesting! I'd like to say "encouraging", but I have a feeling I may be heading down the same path. Good to hear that the surgery was successful though.
    Gravity. It's the law.