Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I'm stoked to see that the tv dig day was well attended too! So many good trails on that side.

Mahogany Creek (in the Big Holes) is dry to the top. Ass kicking climb, great descent.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Mahogany Creek (in the Big Holes) is dry to the top. Ass kicking climb, great descent.
    Any word on the stuff off spooky trail? Whatever those creeks are called?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Those creeks (Red and Corral) are going to be DEEP and COLD...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Those creeks (Red and Corral) are going to be DEEP and COLD...
    but what about the trails.... just shitty crossing those creeks since they're so high (and cold) right now? otherwise the trails are dry?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Had loads of fun exploring Horseshoe on Saturday. That trail system is REALLY REALLY REALLY fun.

but what about the trails.... just shitty crossing those creeks since they're so high (and cold) right now? otherwise the trails are dry?
    I haven't heard any first-hand reports. You might give a call over to Fitzgeralds shop- they might know. I would bet that the top of Red (before you drop into the creek/ canyon proper) still has a few snowdrifts in it.

I'm headed that way on Friday, mid-afternoon, if anyone wants an adventure (and some sweet singletrack).
    Last edited by homemadesalsa; 06-05-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Right on. Unfortunately I'll be chained to the desk til 5 on Friday.

On another note, does anyone know what other trendy enduro races are available within a couple hours' drive that aren't hundreds of dollars for an entry fee? The BME events are pricey but I've been aware of:

-Snow King enduro
    -Targhee has one or multiple
    -Sun Valley Bike Festival has one
    -Canyons has one the next weekend

Anything else? I sucked hard at the one enduro I tried last summer but it was fun (except for the one pedally stage) and it'd be a formal excuse to check out some new places.

There are a few fun races in the Utah DH series ( I would say more enduro/super d-ish than DH-ish)
    http://www.utahdh.org/
    The sundance race already happened but that's an excellent place to keep on the list - it's a cool little magical canyon and the trails are fun.
    Brian Head is also fun although it's not until later in the summer and it's pretty far away

Quote Originally Posted by tgrweb View Post
    Right on. Unfortunately I'll be chained to the desk til 5 on Friday.

On another note, does anyone know what other trendy enduro races are available within a couple hours' drive that aren't hundreds of dollars for an entry fee? The BME events are pricey but I've been aware of:

-Snow King enduro
    -Targhee has one or multiple
    -Sun Valley Bike Festival has one
    -Canyons has one the next weekend

Anything else? I sucked hard at the one enduro I tried last summer but it was fun (except for the one pedally stage) and it'd be a formal excuse to check out some new places.
    MTBR post about the Montana Enduro Series: http://forums.mtbr.com/idaho-montana...-a-913419.html

Spooky and lower corral are in great shape. Made it about a mile up upper corral before the mud got discouraging. I think the red/corral loop is still a couple weeks away.

Heard Mill Creek is good at least up to the Cold Springs junction. Lots of snow and blowdown on Cold Springs though.

Mill Creek/Colters Escape is good all the way to the Lightning saddle, a couple little mud/snow patches but nothing too discouraging. Heard S. Horseshoe is good to go as well. Great time to be riding with the perfect temps, flowers and mountains still snowy.

I'm planning on riding Horseshoe this afternoon/evening. Gotta make some stops in Pokey and Id Falls on the way.
    Any recos for loops of maximum fun? 1-2 hrs. Preferable directions on trails?

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    I'm planning on riding Horseshoe this afternoon/evening. Gotta make some stops in Pokey and Id Falls on the way.
    Nothing in ID Falls that I know of... pretty flippin' flat area although I've heard whispers of some adventure riding within striking distance of there. Pokey has a bunch of riding, like really a lot, but only one that I've checked out and which is the most set up is the City Creek trail system. Map can be found here: http://www.pocatello.us/se/documents...inal_legal.pdf

Most will pedal up City Creek trail in the shade of the creek bed then loop back on the East wall of the valley, Sullivans is a pretty fun trail. No matter what you do, you gotta find your way onto 911 at some point... pretty much a mile of G-outs and berms with some jumps mixed in going up and down the walls of this narrow gulch:

All in all, a really fun network and worth the stop. Probably 1.5 hours around.

I'll get on updating the conditions list today. Had a great few days riding the village bike park and checking out Munger Mtn. for the first time yesterday. So rad up there, feels like you're in a totally different part of the mountains, more like CO. Pretty dusty but radically fun, surprisingly long, fast, and sinewy downhills through beautiful Aspen stands and open meadows. Gaaaah I'm still grinning. Super fun! Will have to attempt the real Munger Mtn. trail before July hits and the motos can roost up there. Here's a few shots from the past bit:

The GF (Shauna) at Horseshoe last week:

View from Bovine Bliss over towards the Teets:

No biking, but you gotta throw in some Jackson Lake stoke from the weekend...

Top of the first climb at Munger:

Shauna meadow-blastin':

HVSkier blasting! I was struggling to keep pace with him whether we were going up or down:

Gotta love well-marked trails. Thanks FOP!

Has anybody ridden Arrow over to Phillips Ridge or Canyon yet? Thinking Ridge after work today but no idea if it's rideable by going up Old Pass Road and over yet.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    You 'basically' have a clockwise or counterclockwise loop, (with a few possible lolipops)
    I like to alternate directions frequently, they both ride great either way.
    Counterclockwise:
    Go up Channel Lock. Take RIGHT onto Southbound. (you will know the view spot when you get to it!)When you reach woods hollow (two-ish track) take another RIGHT, down a rippin' section to Sodbuster. Hump up a small saddle, ride down the couple of new turns, and continue UP Dude Creek. keep (mellow) climbing up to a small bridge, take RIGHT onto Cody's loop. Follow (climb) singletrack UP to the five way break point. This is about 1/2 way. from here I recommend doing the Burgh CLOCKWISE (short loop), and climb back to five way. From here, turn (SOUTH) down Shark's Belly and get ready to rage. This is a superb piece of singletrack. take this to Bovine Bliss, and continue back to the car (you can park at the bottom of Bovine, and start the ride on the road down to Channel Lock). There is another piece of singletrack that is parallel to the main road up from Bovine (out and back or road/loop) if you need a bit more.

Obviously the reverse works too, just a matter of which way you come down.
    Hope you get this in time!
    Enjoy.
    Last edited by rideit; 06-09-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Here is most of the latest Bike Magazine article about the Pass, TFR, and some history. (site is a little glitchy)
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f14...trails-268682/

Here is most of the latest Bike Magazine article about the Pass, TFR, and some history. (site is a little glitchy)
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f14...trails-268682/
    'Twas a good read when I snatched it in print. JH is sooo sick haha.

For those concerned, small group will be meeting at TGR HQ at Wilson at 6 to go pedal up Phillip's Ridge from the bottom. I guess Arrow still has a bit of snow on it and the Forest Service will be up there Friday cutting out the deadfall.

So I parked a ways up, by the bullet riddled snow machine trail sign/ parking area. Crossed the bridge then a little culvert pipe and did and back.
    Where is the bovine trail head?
    Lower down on the left on the way up?

Oh, you got skunked, then. At least in regards to the 'Horseshoe Loops'. Yes, Bovine trailhead is the next turn down the road (back towards Driggs, maybe 1 mile)

Did you at least ride a ways up South Fork Horseshoe? (most of our 'after work' trails are to the North of the road, but S.F.H. is the beginning of many a Big Hole Epic style ride...)
    Last edited by rideit; 06-09-2014 at 10:56 PM.

It was mucho fun coming back down.
    So horseshoe trails are uphill on the right on the way up? Gonna try and rally some shit tmrw morning

Yes, up in them low hills to the right. You will figure it out!
    Channel Lock has a gate at the bottom, which likely is closed (barbed wire) by now. You should see the singletrack clearly from the road, it's about 1/2 a mile east of the Bovine turn off.

S. .Fork Horseshoe is a wicked climb and an awesome descent, so you did hit some fun stuff.

Anyone have a detailed route suggestion for the Munger trails? Every time I go out there I just wander.

Anyone have a detailed route suggestion for the Munger trails? Every time I go out there I just wander.
    This is where I got my route: http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/851663

And a good trail map: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5337404.pdf

So you go right at Wally's World, right at Squaw Creek, left onto Tusky Ridge, right at Cosmic Carol's, left up Poison Creek, left back down Tusky Ridge the other way, left at Cosmic Carol's, then take Poison Creek back to the road. Figure 8 loop with a healthy amount of climbing but some uber fun, fast down. I still don't understand how all that opens for dirtbikes though, that's some pretty narrow singletrack. Do they just hit up Munger Mtn proper? That would be a rad adventure ride to fit in before the moto open date starts...

Rode Phillips Ridge from the bottom with HV and a fun crew from work last night. Thought I knew how far that trail went up when I rode it last fall, turns out I was only going about 1/2 way. Rediculous, rediculous, rediculously fun downhill. Something like 32 mins moving time and 2K vertical drop or so. Good god that trail is good!

Just wait until you loop it with Arrow/Snotel. One of the best medium length loops in the States, IMO. (Ain't nothin wrong with a partial shuttle, either!)
    Thanks, TFR and Linda!
    Last edited by rideit; 06-10-2014 at 01:06 PM.

fwiw I don't think motos hurt the trail much up at munger. Rode up there when I had mine and nice single track is what we would seek out.