Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    By the way -- I notice you're not defending Mormons from the many insults hurled at them in this thread. Why is that?
    Ummmmm... because they compete with my bacon consumption.

Ok, so you were just joking around... phew. So I guess we're cool then... thx!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Cooke with a sled

Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    For a self-professed grump and curmudgeon you're awfully quick to hide behind the idea that when you say something offensive, it was really satire.
    I haven't "professed" anything like what you said, shitstain. What does my TGR profile say? Have you tried there, fuckwad? Don't let me interrupt your orgasm of More Sensitive Than You triumphalism, though. Wouldn't want you to actually read anything now.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Ummmmm... because they compete with my bacon consumption.

Ok, so you were just joking around... phew. So I guess we're cool then... thx!
    Oh, gosh and gee whillikers, I was really counting on being "not cool" with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Actually, Northport in NE WA is almost a ski town being about 15 miles from Red and might be a really decent choice....
    The rate of rare cancers there is off the charts. It's on Lake Roosevelt (Columbia River) and all the runoff from mines upstream has seriously messed with people's health. No way I'd live there.

Oh, and the brewery moved to Kettle Falls...

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    The rate of rare cancers there is off the charts. It's on Lake Roosevelt (Columbia River) and all the runoff from mines upstream has seriously messed with people's health. No way I'd live there.
    Yeah, you might have a point...

http://northportproject.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Oh, and the brewery moved to Kettle Falls...
    Kind of reminds me of the old Olympia beer ads..."It's the water...and a lot more."

this is turning into a real opportunity bonanza. so we have 4 grandparents. one is Hindu (sacred cow), one is Muslim (pigs to be avoided, gimme some Halal certification), one is Jewish (someone else can fill me in on the taboos here, other than JAPs can't date goyim, I don't know), and one is Pentecostal Christian (we are in the end times!). the family gathers for the holiday season and the table is bountiful! but nobody can eat anything. how do we handle this?
    Play some Tom Lehrer and dig in!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Yeah, you might have a point...

http://northportproject.com/
    Can we sing O Canada now and extoll the touristy virtues of Trail, B.C.?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Buster's on it.

Gosh, Lehrer was such a hateful man!

I'm pretty happy where I'm at for a working stiff. Walk to climbing, MTB out the door and great resort and BC skiing a little over 20 minutes away. Cheap cost of living and a group of like minded people without the outdoor snobbery.

Retirement is another story. I'd like Victor August through October, then to somewhere warm, then somewhere else.....

I'll second Anchorage. easy year round skiing within 90 minutes from the center, 3 zones to choose from so you can generally find something stable to ski. Good ice climbing, great alpine climbs, camping and hiking all within the city limits.

Anchorage is a cool town with lots to do. I just couldn't handle the 4-5 hours of sunlight during the winter months.

Another town I would look at is Ridgway, CO. Much more affordable than Tride, lots of skiing opportunities, a reservoir for summer months, tons of hiking/biking, and not over or under sized (about 1,000 population). Kind of hard to get to from other areas of the country, which can be a benefit or a detriment, depending on your point of view. Love the area, though.

Ridgeway is a neat little town. 50 minutes to Silverton and Telluride. Ridiculous scenery. Ouray is right down the road. It’s a cool spot.
    You can’t go wrong in the San Juans, that’s for sure.

I live in Driggs, Idaho and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm not one for busy urban areas so the quiet side of the Tetons is fitting.

Poky aka Pocahellhole/Pocatello,, great skiing locally and plenty of areas within 2.5-3 hrs. The same applies to climbing, whitewater and fishing, plus mtb right from town. Ya gotta like the desert though.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Durango.
    Great option. Durango is the only mountain town I've visited where hot chicks outnumber bearded beaters.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Great option. Durango is the only mountain town I've visited where hot chicks outnumber bearded beaters.
    The "hot chicks" in any ski town are tourists.

Ridgeway - Some members of my family retired their and are very happy.

Boulder - I enjoyed living their but he logistics of skiing caused me to move.

Breck - Seemed like a very small town. (Probably a function of who I ran with)

Salt Lake City - I like it. Some people are bugged by Mormons I find them to be incredible people and neighbors with about 10% who are over the top and stick to their own.

Park City - Where we are now. A little too California. I wonder if my kids get a distorted reality with the affluence. Good access to skiing, biking, fly fishing, etc. Great back country a small drive away. Has more stable snowpack than any other place I've lived. I think some of the small town single thing would be helped by the proximity to Salt Lake, but I've always been married here, so any guess is just that.

Colorado Snow varies and if back country is your exclusive thing, other places might trump.

Alaska - I found I like sunshine. If you can live with short days in the winter, epic.

Toas - Tough for outsiders. Snow Pack varies year over year.

My self prescribed "sage" advice, find someone you are happy with. Then anywhere she or he is happy from this list would probably kick ass for you.

There are things I've liked about all of the above. Every where you live will have negatives that can become the focus if you let them.

mccall, id.. but thats my second choice. first choice is already a reality.
    long live the jahrator

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Anchorage is a cool town with lots to do. I just couldn't handle the 4-5 hours of sunlight during the winter months.
    Honestly, I don't even notice. Throw a headlamp in your pack and you're golden.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    south maine coast.

rog
    That explains everything. Carry on.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

the trustafarian smug motive propels trusties to move to such places and take credit for being the "gentrifying influence" which "civilizes" the savages

see, for example, Ben Ferencz

it's like bringing iPads and iPhones to little african kids -- a wealthy, bored, and egotistical person's great investment, fueled by arrogance and a need to dominate. they feel most smug when they've established the first synagogue... all the while talking about the stupid Christian rednecks and how they ruin everything
    Creaky Old Fossil, just to clarify: stupid Christian rednecks DO ruin everything. I'm a Jewish skier. My grandparents escaped the holocaust and I feel lucky to reside and ski in the western US. It's annoying to hear your xenophobic rants. I would build my synagogue on your moms cooch if the EPA hadn't declared it a superfund site.

Pow, Pussy, and Meth is all u need

Quote Originally Posted by tbssux View Post
    Creaky Old Fossil, just to clarify: stupid Christian rednecks DO ruin everything. I'm a Jewish skier. My grandparents escaped the holocaust and I feel lucky to reside and ski in the western US. It's annoying to hear your xenophobic rants. I would build my synagogue on your moms cooch if the EPA hadn't declared it a superfund site.
    What does your grandparents surviving the holocaust have to do with you other that you being alive. It doesn't endow you with special insight to judge people who aren't "like you". Sure there are "stupid Christian rednecks" but a lot of good, honest and hardworking folks identify as "redneck", I know my family does. Can you see the irony in your posting about CF and his remarks when you are doing very much the same thing?