Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    not quite what I envision when I think of whis in the summer. beautiful pics and perspective
    Very Keystone and Frisby like is how I think of it. But its just a small section.

Where would you guys suggest two beginner riders (well one biked in the 90s) give biking a try in the Sea to Sky? I was thinking one day in the bike park riding Crank It Up and B-Line??? And for a trail ride focus on Squamish, maybe Full Nelson? Something that would be fun anyway and a good intro back into mtbs.

And any recommendations for bike shops with demos? I was thinking for a trail bike it would be great if they could try a Norco Sight or Kona 134.

Definitely. Hopefully get up there soon. Been cooking in the valley

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Where would you guys suggest two beginner riders (well one biked in the 90s) give biking a try in the Sea to Sky? I was thinking one day in the bike park riding Crank It Up and B-Line??? And for a trail ride focus on Squamish, maybe Full Nelson? Something that would be fun anyway and a good intro back into mtbs.
    Honestly, beginner riders should not be anywhere near a jump trail. They'll either go so slow they'll miss the point or wreck themselves. Jumping a mountain bike, surprising as it may seem, requires some skill.

In the Bike Park, recommend ez-does-it, b-line, del boca vista, maybe a ninja cougar/karate monkey/samurai cat/ho chi minh.
    Smoke and mirrors might be good too. If they want to try jumps, I strongly suggest sessioning one of the skills parks for a bit and getting comfortable with speed and jumps before wading into a whole trail of them.

Outside the Bike Park, go with something like the zappa trails around lost lake or some of the mellow trails around squamish like wonderland or maybe even angry midget.

I can't say this enough but keep beginners away from jumps.

^^^ nickel is smart. Also if they want to check out the park the lesson, ticket combo is a super good value. Can't remember the price but its totally reasonable. Bundle that in with a Peak to Peak gondola hike on a nice day and mind will be blown

Not sure who rents Konas but Fanatyk has the Sight.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post

And any recommendations for bike shops with demos? I was thinking for a trail bike it would be great if they could try a Norco Sight or Kona 134.
    The full Garbo DH course sounds good. Just like when people come visit to go skiing and the first lap is straight to False Face.

Ok, so driving them to the top of Gargamel and letting them go not be a good idea? Thanks for the suggestions, will let them know.

40mm of rain in the last few days. Super tacky dirt.

The Valley trails ain't doing so bad

I'm gonna insist you stop having fun right now. I want to hear about pain, misery, remorse, agony, regret, and shame.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    I'm gonna insist you stop having fun right now. I want to hear about pain, misery, remorse, agony, regret, and shame.

but actually i like hike-a-bike

+1 for more shame.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Doing an adult camp in the bike park this weekend, should be fun times. Gonna be hot and dry from the looks of things.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    but actually i like hike-a-bike
    Yes, yes, ten-to-the-sixth times yes. I'm inspired to start a thread: best frames for portage. We won't need to start with CX bikes, they're too obvious. Portage niches: pure pushing, push-and-carry, pure carry. Different frames have different portage possibilities. The frame that portages well isn't always the same frame that you'd bikepark with. Where does bikepacking start and portage-friendly end? Bikepack vs bikepark: head to head. Richie Cunningham's ginning up a poll now! Also: best deadfall crossing techniques. Bike over first and separate from you? Bike portage while scrambling over deadfall? Straddle the tree gingerly to not get stobbed in a tender area? What about deadfall with peeling bark, step on the bark and away goes that foot as the bark departs its happy junction with the formerly living tree. So much ground to cover here!

Okay, back to the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GoNads View Post
    GLC2 drop delivered today from the patio. So many people rolling into the first berm hip take off with nowhere near enough speed, and then had their rear tires clip the 2nd "drop" lip (if you can call it a drop, it's like 1.5-2ft?) before awkwardly bouncing to the landing. Soooo darn awkward and some people are going to have some very stiff necks tomorrow morning. So many people riding up to it, stopping, and then having other people flying thru trying to make it with speed. I foresee a high entertainment value, and from a safety standpoint, joeys are going to hit drops regardless, especially if they're prime real-estate. The way I see it with the first, main GLC drop, they prevented scraping more people off the hill and medical evacs, and will probably as a result have it closed less. At least there are two decent options. Change is good, right? The GLC patio is now hecklefest, I love it.
    Yeah that was me... Had no idea the drops had changed, came in way too slow and got a few chuckles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolps View Post
    Yeah that was me... Had no idea the drops had changed, came in way too slow and got a few chuckles.
    It's all nickel's fault

Looking at the coverage of the whistler EWS thing, what kind of relationship does whistler have with WORCA? I was kind of surprised to see some of those trails being used. Because there's no way they look the same after sending a few hundred racers down them.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    It's all nickel's fault

Looking at the coverage of the whistler EWS thing, what kind of relationship does whistler have with WORCA? I was kind of surprised to see some of those trails being used. Because there's no way they look the same after sending a few hundred racers down them.
    WB and WORCA have a strong working relationship.

Only one stage is on a trail that falls under the WORCA umbrella. Microclimate and Crazy Train are both on lower Blackcomb and were until recently technically illegal trails. Microclimate is brand new this year and got gang raped by the locals long before it was announced as a stage. Crazy Train was grown over and semi abandoned, crews went in and brought it back to life for the event. Ride Don't Slide is a shit show that not many of the locals care about as it's the rogue trail that everyone hits on the DH bike from the park.

Upper Billy's is mostly all rock not much major damage to be done. 27 switchbacks did get hammered, flat corners with no berms and dry conditions has seen it take the worst betting. Old Binty's was nearly forgotten prior to being used in the Four Kings many locals didn't even know it existed. Since then it's degraded and gotten rougher.

SRAM made a $10,000 community donation to WORCA for trail work. A new climbing trail was cut to access Microclimate/Crazy Train/ Hey Bud, this climber will also open up access for more trails to be cut in that zone, a bonus in my opinion.

In the end it will be a net positive to the community. They nailed the trail selection this year. Sure they took a beating, most of that will be fixed, but the bigger think is they didn't beat down any of the most loved trails by locals.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    WB and WORCA have a strong working relationship.
    I figured. That would be way too much of a fuck you if not (and with some of the stuff they used last year).

I looked up your name in the results. Nice work yo! Was that on the new bike?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I figured. That would be way too much of a fuck you if not (and with some of the stuff they used last year).

I looked up your name in the results. Nice work yo! Was that on the new bike?
    Borrowed bike and riding blind.

I cut my finger on Wednesday, by Thursday night it looked like the zombies had attacked the cut and I got a nasty infection causing my hand to swell. A visit to the ER ended up with an IV drip line installed in my arm and I had to go back again for two more rounds of antibiotics. This put the new frame project on hold.

So skipped practice as I didn't think it would be great to be out riding with the iv line installed. Saturday afternoon I cleaned and tuned my bike. About 7pm I rode a few blocks to a local park with a fun mini 10 second descent to bed in new brake pads and adjust suspension. A word to the wise, concentrate on bedding in the pads before tweaking suspension. I got out of control at the bottom and had to lay it down. Mangled right side brake lever and flatted a 2.4 HR II DH casing tire when the bike hit square on the end of a cut down tree. Pretty pissed at life at that point.

Got home to switch out the brakes for a old spare set. When putting in the rear brake I caused a big flake of paint to fall off the downtube...ah fuck bent the front triangle in the little crash.

My options were build up my hardtail for the day, or my old Norco Six. The Six would have needed me to hack some shock hardware and I don't have any for it. Either frame was completely bare, and I still needed to go to the ER for my final antibiotic drip. Went to ER at 8:30 and got out at 10:30.

Got very lucky and close friend Dan Barham lent me his Norco Sight carbon wunder bike. This little guy with the addition of the Pike punches way above it's weight class.

I started the day thinking I was just going to ride. No racing, no pressure. I rode calm and clean, no offs, stayed on course. Kept things clean smooth and it ended well for me, pretty happy with 19th in the very competitive 30-39 cat, especially after the clusterfuck few days leading into it.

Haha........holy shit man. What a week.

Why the hell were you even considering racing as of Saturday night?

It was the spirit of enduro wasn't it? Showed up in your sleep and was all "suck it up princess, this is ENDURO!!!" All nekkid and floppy robes and transparent with a bunch of reverb on the voice........ Spirit of enduro don't fuck around.

lol

The universe tried to tell me not to race between the hand and the bike. I told it to fuck off and I make my own choices.

Was supposed to go up to Whis next week to ride until I realized my passport had expired... whoops. Trying to reschedule for the last week of September/first week of October. Know top of the world is out of contention at that point but what are things like generally at that point? Pretty wet?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Could be epic rain, or could be epic sunshine.

I've had some of my best rides ever late Sept early Oct. Perfect cooler temps with tons of sun, some moisture in the soil after the dry summer. But it could also rain for every single minute you're here.

You realize this is like asking if it will be a powder week in late Feb in Jackson right?

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Could be epic rain, or could be epic sunshine.

I've had some of my best rides ever late Sept early Oct. Perfect cooler temps with tons of sun, some moisture in the soil after the dry summer. But it could also rain for every single minute you're here.

You realize this is like asking if it will be a powder week in late Feb in Jackson right?
    Yeah... but kind of asking like if it's going to be a powder day in Jackson in April, right?

On the coast predicting the weather 4 days out is a crap shoot at the best of time.

Late Sept can be awesome. Trails will be in great shape as there are less visitors around and with some moisture the Bike Park crew will have been able to hit things. Not sure when Top of the World actually closes (is it on the website?) but there are other better alpine rides around that you need to earn your way up that will be great that time of year (if it's not raining ).