Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    i like it. subaru needs some competition in this area. jumping ahead -i bet an awd fusion would sell well and definitely looks better than the legacy these days. ford's lineup is looking solid as of late.

I thought there already was an awd Fusion. I think there was a wagon too for about a second. God, the American car buyer is retahded.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Damn nice.

Here's a question. How would a passat with chains (like those fancy thule) compare to an A4 AWD with snows. I know it will get destroyed on packed snow and not that deep snow, but I am interested how the passat with chains will do compared to the AWD in a deep storm.
    your skills - and whether they close the road - will matter more than whatever dildo motor you choose. the dildos here choose AWD because they don't want to soil their designer denim installing chains. if it gets really shitty "stormy" you want clearance, which all the sexy euro yuppie mobile wagons (save the AllBills) don't have.

I thought there already was an awd Fusion. I think there was a wagon too for about a second. God, the American car buyer is retahded.
    hah, apparently there is. nice. i'll find something else to complain about, give me a few minutes.

edit: where's the fucking manual wagon though?

You'll have to spring for the Impreza or XV for that.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

as a long time manual driver, can we stop with the forced love obsession for them? You want a street car that is fun to drive, great, get a 2wd manual transmission.
    You want a utility vehicle for going places, realize we live in the 21st century and buy that automatic transmission. They are not the shitty things that existed a decade or two ago. Let your ego relax and get with it.

I own an automatic transmission Subaru and am glad I paid the extra for it.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    as a long time manual driver, can we stop with the forced love obsession for them? You want a street car that is fun to drive, great, get a 2wd manual transmission.
    You want a utility vehicle for going places, realize we live in the 21st century and buy that automatic transmission. They are not the shitty things that existed a decade or two ago. Let your ego relax and get with it.

I own an automatic transmission Subaru and am glad I paid the extra for it.
    A well tuned auto is faster than manual now a days.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    They are not the shitty things that existed a decade or two ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    A well tuned auto is faster than manual now a days.
    These things may both be true, BUT I still my reasons for wanting a manual. They're simply more enjoyable to drive. I used to drive nothing but manual trans cars. So did my wife. Next thing you know, we both had 4x4 SUVs with autos for the snow, and had our RWD V-8 manual trans cars for the summer months. Then we moved to the mountains and realized we could only drive our fun cars half the year and traded them in plus sold an suv out of practicality.

Now, I'll be the first to tell you that the 6-speed auto on my Volvo is fantastic and is WAY better than the POS 4-speed auto on my Trailblazer. So yes, I realize they've come a long freaking way. I did set my ego aside when I made the practical decision to sell my RWD cars with manuals and get a an AWD car that better suited our lifestyle.

BUT, that being said, I desperately miss rowing my own gears. I am bored out of my skull driving the auto. I need something more engaging. Thus, as soon as I save up enough money, the Trailblazer is gone and we are going back to something more enjoyable, but with AWD. As soon as I save up more money, my XC70's gone, and will be on the hunt (again) for a V70R or similar. The thing is, even with a mundane vehicle like a body-on-frame SUV or underpowered econobox, a manual transmission can transform them into something somewhat enjoyable to drive. This is something most of us here get, and why we demand manual transmissions. Not all of us have given in to the don't-give-a-crap-about-driving masses. If you're one of us who actually cares about driving dynamics, the right vehicle can turn your daily drive from a chore into a pleasure. I don't care if it's the nicest vehicle ever. Driving a car with an auto is freaking boring, even if it's got lighting-quick shifts and paddle shifters. It's just not the same. I like to use my left foot once in a while. I like to feel more connected to the car and the road. Sorry you've forgotten these things. My condolences.

Don't mean to step on your joy joy, but:
    14 years of roadrace experience (4yrs an amateur/10yrs a professional). 10 years on two wheels and 4 years on four. Formula Vee and Saab Series of the four wheel variety. Manual shift is dead... any slap stick (ie: audi tiptronic) will give you the dynamic of a manual gear change. The sensation your in love with is the added control input as it relates to steering and braking (loading or pre-loading the suspension and engine braking).

Drinking, eating and shaving while negotiating the bumper to bumper or traffic signals and fine tuning the slacker has become a little easier too.

The only time I miss it is when stuck in snow or major muck. Getting from forward to reverse is damaging to the senses with an automatic.

As for the deep seated love for Audi in this thread, I tripped over this recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JR3kkqXhO8
    Last edited by Gepeto; 08-30-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: someone teach me to imbed?
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Shifting is dead... any slap stick (ie: audi tiptronic) will give you the dynamic of a manual gear change. The sensation your in love with is the added control input as it relates to steering and braking (loading or pre-loading the suspension and engine braking).
    Still not buying it. While I appreciate your racing cred, and understand that the new manuals are getting fantastic results in the racing world, I will still always want a proper clutch pedal.

I've driven plenty of cars with fine autos & paddle/button shifters: Ferrari F355, F360, 456, Porsche 911s (both Turbo and N/A), Boxsters, Audi A4/S4s, BMW M5s, Volvo S/V70Rs, and probably a few more I can't remember off the top of my head. I've also driven many of those with 3 pedals, and in every case, those were the versions I preferred. By far. Even if they ARE a bit slower.

And for those of us pleebs who can't afford the above cars with their super fancy autos, which of the following is better to drive: A Ford Fiesta with an automatic, or with a manual?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Still not buying it.

which of the following is better to drive: A Ford Fiesta with an automatic, or with a manual?
    I get the enjoyment factor, especially in watered down race bread trim where the shift gate is no bigger than a soup bowl. But as to owning a less common car in the driveway, buying a stick shift vehicle for its attributes? It is defunct.

I get to the end of the pass with Fiesta AUTO first...
    Last edited by Gepeto; 08-30-2014 at 04:12 PM. Reason: auto

i really only want a manual cause driving is probably the most thrilling thing i do 4-5 days a week. auto's just make it more of a chore unless they're hp heavy. can you do some sort of psuedo-down/up shift on a cvt? I've only spent a few hours in a '13 outback and dont remember paying attention.

I get the enjoyment factor.

I also see plenty of people going for the enjoyment factor in the ditch on the way to the hill. When I have the cash to run two cars, one will be a manual RWD, until then, the auto transmission will be what I have, especially when dealing with stop and go traffic in seattle's hills.

yeah I've toyed with the same thought. i keep telling myself when i get hitched i need to take advantage of living in seattle and drive something stupid w/ RWD and a stick since we dont see snow here. let the SO drive the AWD grocery getter.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    yeah I've toyed with the same thought. i keep telling myself when i get hitched i need to take advantage of living in seattle and drive something stupid w/ RWD and a stick since we dont see snow here. let the SO drive the AWD grocery getter.
    I see a Challenger Hellcat in your future. If I didn't live where I did, that's the car I'd have my sights set on!

Golf R wagon being shown this week at LA Auto Show:
    Maybe Hutash could give us a review
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

^^
    Looks awesome, but what worries me is this quote: "The latest generation 4MOTION system is coupled to an automatic 6-speed DSG dual-clutch automatic transmission." No mention of a manual trans anywhere.

^^
    Looks awesome, but what worries me is this quote: "The latest generation 4MOTION system is coupled to an automatic 6-speed DSG dual-clutch automatic transmission." No mention of a manual trans anywhere.
    Also no mention of acetylene carbide headlamps... the ones that really made you feel like you're engaged with their use and operation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Golf R wagon being shown this week at LA Auto Show:
    Maybe Hutash could give us a review
    Seems like every article I see contradicts the one before it... especially in the area of... is it actually coming to the US.

Anywho, i'll trade the a4 in for this with our without a manual trans.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

^^
    So how reliable is the 6 speed VW DSG and how much does it cost to fix? I'm more interested in the low hp versions of the Golf Wagon though like the TDI.

Speaking of the TDI has anyone noticed that diesel has been a dollar more per gallon than gasoline this fall? At least for for the last couple of weeks here in the midwest. 2.89 vs 3.89 for a few days. Holy shit.

^^
    Scratch what I said. This just in!!!: "6-sp DSG® auto (6-sp MT coming soon)." From the VW website: http://www.vw.com/models/golf-r/

Since Subaru made the asinine decision to do away with the WRX hatch, I'm so happy to see a fantastic alternative available!

^^ believe I've already seen spy shots of the wrx hatch to be. should be easy to find on the impreza forums

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Also no mention of acetylene carbide headlamps... the ones that really made you feel like you're engaged with their use and operation.
    And what's with the pushbutton starters? Buncha pussies.... real drivers start their cars by hand, it gives a more personal touch.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    An automatic is the prophylactic of the driving experience.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    And what's with the pushbutton starters
    AWD turbo diesel 7 speed eurowagen..... with a crank start.... PERFECT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........