Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    They are not bringing that ONE Golf R sportwagon over for you to not buy.
    http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/vw-...olf-r.html?m=1
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHerm View Post
    Stoked on this car and the Golf+ R (300 HP AWD Sportwagen that gets over 30mpg highway). VWoA is finally listening to customers and enthusiasts.
    they've listened to the absence of customers buying manuals for years. they don't fuking sell. even in sportscars.

glad to see that colorado math though, nothing like turning an average 5" into 8" online.

IDJITS

"but as for all-wheel drive, well... that might not make the cut. A Volkswagen spokesperson told Autoblog that 4Motion is "under consideration" for the production model that'll go on sale next year, but as of this writing, the company is only planning to offer a front-drive SportWagen in our market.'

Still holding out hope for the Mazda diesel AWD CX-5 at a somewhat-reasonable price point. And yes, I need AWD, not just because I'm a shitty (Asian) driver in the snow, but because sometimes they won't let me up the Cottonwoods without it.

Considering how good german suspension is, it's way harder to bottom out a vw/audi compared to a SUV.

AWD is like rocker. Not needed, but nice. FWD makes as much sense as rear only brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Still holding out hope for the Mazda diesel AWD CX-5 at a somewhat-reasonable price point. And yes, I need AWD, not just because I'm a shitty (Asian) driver in the snow, but because sometimes they won't let me up the Cottonwoods without it.
    Gonna do my damndest to talk my wife into one in 2-3 years. I mean, we have to get it, right?

I test drove the 2.0 when they first came out. Sweet car, especially for the money compared to a CRV or whatever, but underpowered for me. The 2.5 is respectable, and has been consistently butting heads with the Escape Ecoboost for top of that segment in the reviews. But yeah, the 2.2D would be sweet. Apparently it's good enough that 80% of the CX-5s sold in Japan in year 1 were diesels. And the ~26,000 diesels sold represented 3x as many vehicles as all diesel cars sold in Japan the year prior.

But it was supposed to be here by now. Of course so was the Mazda 6 Diesel...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    price you pay for being a ratrace cunt roadraging to pass faster thans safe. i float on smug, levitating
    I am definitely holding out for a vehicle that runs on smug-lev...

Will probably still be German-made though.

We already have mag-lev, what's the difference?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by flyman683 View Post
    We already have mag-lev, what's the difference?
    smug-lev's an acknowledged maggot-lev.

I have the 04 jetta wagon with a 1.8 T. Overall not a bad vehicle, some repairs which will happen. Last 5 years it gets studded snow tires in winter and does very well even with limited clearance.

I find these vehicle discussions humerus. Have any of you ever operated a diesel in winter?

That said the Skoda car sounds nice. I am way down the road for any vemhicle. When i do it will likely be a small econobox get around car.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using TGR Forums
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Have any of you ever operated a diesel in winter?
    Never owned a diesel. But plenty of diesel pickups here (Reno/Northern Nevada) and they seem to work fine in winter.

I thought with modern glow plugs that cold starts weren't a problem anymore, until you got down to significantly negative F temps (like -20 or more).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Never owned a diesel. But plenty of diesel pickups here (Reno/Northern Nevada) and they seem to work fine in winter.

I thought with modern glow plugs that cold starts weren't a problem anymore, until you got down to significantly negative F temps (like -20 or more).
    I've got an '03 TDI wagon with ~215k on it now; it has the 1.9L turbo @ 90 hp but 152 f-lb of tourque.
    Living in Maine where it gets pretty cold, I've had gelling problems at times on stretches of super cold weather, but not really any glow-plug starting problems. Careful treatment with anti-gel has solved gelling issues.

I'm super excited about this vehicle. I've liked mine quite a bit, but the ground clearance is certainly not good. I run a custom skid plate under mine because the oil pan is right there, waiting to get slaughtered by frost heaves or anything. Some folks add a 2" lift to the cars, which helps with clearance quite a bit.

And with snows, the car does pretty darn well in anything 4-6" or less snow.

That said, I have coveted an AWD version of the diesel wagon. That would be tits.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

Plug a diesel in in the winter with a timer to go off about 2 hours before you want to drive it. Give it a few extra minutes to warm up. Diesels perform terribly and it's tough on the engine to rev them up before operating temp.

There is a ton of idiocy in this thread. I really don't care what others drive but I do get a chuckle out of the justification people are using. And yes, I'm a diesel and hybrid fanboy depending on the application. Stuck-what is your problem with hybrids from Toyota. Have you owned either a diesel or a hybrid?

I guess hybrids are alright for commuting. Otherwise, they strike me as an awful lot of greenwashing.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

For those with a (much) bigger budget:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/first...s-sprinter-van

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeMax View Post

The 4x4 Diesel Sprinter, yet another TGR unicorn vehicle. Highly reliable suspension for dirt roads

So Hugh, what do you drive? Yaris or bronco?

Hugh Conway Guest
    yugo. duh. when I'm not driving the FF. or the hummer. or the G650.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    yugo. duh. when I'm not driving the FF. or the hummer. or the G650.
    No way. The yugo is waaaay too steezy for you. I am now convinced you used to drive a bronco then moved to a yaris.

BTW I would love if the dacia duster diesel 4x4 would come here. Dirt cheap and I loved driving it. Oke, I did not *love* it, but beating on one was enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    So Hugh, what do you drive? Yaris or bronco?
    retired WW2 era Checker Cab, the station wagon kind, with a B ration sticker

Lots o' TGR dreamcars, but this 2015 HR-V when 2 years old is TGR reallity:

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    That looks like a Nissan Juke, but less ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post

So you just drill holes and use carriage bolts/wingnuts to attach the roof box?
    watch out for snakes

Exactly. I think those bolts are 9mm, so you could just take your Berreta out of it's level 3 holster and blast the 8? holes needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    http://jalopnik.com/vw-will-bring-an...ica-1562176442

Try no to take some skeet to eye...
    Don't wanna squash the skeet, but...nowhere does it say they'll actually be selling the Diesel + AWD version. Everyone else besides the jalopnik fanboy confirm the sale of the Diesel + Manual + FWD, but state:

"A Volkswagen spokesperson told Autoblog that 4Motion is "under consideration" for the production model that'll go on sale next year, but as of this writing, the company is only planning to offer a front-drive SportWagen in our market." - http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/11/v...york-official/

"but VW representatives wouldn't confirm whether a production 4Motion Golf Sportwagen would be offered." - http://www.autoweek.com/article/2014...#ixzz2zLGH42bq

"Front-wheel-drive remains standard on both models, though VW is considering bringing all-wheel-drive to the TDI wagon. It will use the N.Y. Auto Show to gauge consumer reaction to the idea, so if it’s something that appeals to you, find a way to let VW know. They’re listening." http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...#ixzz2zLGRzlNX

Not trying to buzzkill this (I want one too, eventually), but I'm not sure it's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeMax View Post

That'll make for a lot of rollovers.

I'm underwhelmed at the prospect of that car. Not for me.