Converting carbon to tubeless

Just got a pair of LB hookless wide 29er wheels and am setting up tubeless. Tires are specialized GC 2bliss casing. I tried the gorilla tape thing for the first time. Tires popped right on the rim but only hold air for a few days w generous amounts of stans and all the usual tricks. Other ideas? Does the gorilla tape need to go all the way up the sidewalls....right now it's just covering the spoke holes. Or, do I just need to stop being a cheap bastard and it the real tape. Thanks
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Dunno about gorilla tape, I used Stan's 18mm tape on mine, only covers the spoke holes. Maxxis EXO tires, one is "TR", the other isn't.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Enve's tape is just gorilla tape with their branding on it. I've used it many times, it works. If you ripped or cut thinner strips of tape to fit your rim, I've found that the ragged/non factory edge of the tape doesn't play well with Stan's. It's not a short term thing, usually, unless you didn't smooth and press the tape down , then the Stan's gets under the tape pretty easily. Long term, I've that ragged edge get more ragged and kinda shrink a bit as the Stan's really gets to it.

Did you overlap tape for a few inches and punch a hole for the valve stem? Or start and stop on either side of the valve hole? Overlap is key.

Std width Stan's yellow tape on my LB 275 rims, no issues. As flowtron said, key is to get edges of tape well pressed down.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Success w/ Stan's tape / Orange sealant on 35mm LB 29 w/ Butch Control F & GC Grid R.

Thanks all, I'll go for round 2 w factory edges well pressed. If that's another fail I'll go to stans. Oh, I did overlap but not by much.

Try putting a tube in it overnight to really press the tape down. That's gotten better results for me sometimes.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

thread hijack: If I just go twice around with that Gorilla On Hand tape or whatever it's called that is a little role of 1" or so wide Gorilla Tape I've seen in the hw store, is that all?
    There's some old tape in there now, but I think it's gotta go.
    There's also the slightest indent in the rear rim along the side, and yes, the bead. I might be able to bend it out. Tubeless go or no go?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Once around should be enough, unless its not a tubeless ready rim and you have to build up the rim bed surface to get your bead locked in and sealed. Just be sure to overlap 2 or 3 inches at the valve hole (good place to start/stop) then punch a hole for your valve stem.
    Unless its a really bad one, I wouldn't mess with the dent until you've determined that's the spot that won't seal. I've mounted plenty of dented rims tubeless, just keep an eye on it when inflating. Sometimes I will have to do an extra little shimmy with the wheel in hand and dent at the low point to get some more sealant in there if its leaking a little bit when inflating. Re-bending the aluminum is only gonna weaken it and you risk cracking it.

Sounds good. Might even leave the old tubless tape in there just to be sure. Anyone use that 1" wide stuff? Seems like you wouldn't have to trim it.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

thread hijack: If I just go twice around with that Gorilla On Hand tape or whatever it's called that is a little role of 1" or so wide Gorilla Tape I've seen in the hw store, is that all?
    There's some old tape in there now, but I think it's gotta go.
    I'm no wise sage leader of the collective, but just between us two bros I think this is a fine example of why you get piled on so much.
    1. Thread hijack, as the question here pertains to whether there is something different about setting up a carbon rim, which you clearly don't have.
    2. MTBR 101. There's just no time for this shit in here. If MTBR already has 1000 threads about something so basic, it does not need to clog up the TGR toilet.
    3. Twice around with gorilla tape? Seriously? Why not just go four times and leave no room for air!
    4. Did you just say 1" Gorilla Tape but require 27 words to do it? It's Gorilla Tape. It's 1" wide. Ergo it can be called 1" Gorilla Tape and 99% of English speakers will understand what you're talking about.
    5. Clean out the old tape. If something isn't working, get the old "ain't working" shit out of there and start afresh.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I'm no wise sage leader of the collective, but just between us two bros I think this is a fine example of why you get piled on so much.
    1. Thread hijack, as the question here pertains to whether there is something different about setting up a carbon rim, which you clearly don't have.
    2. MTBR 101. There's just no time for this shit in here. If MTBR already has 1000 threads about something so basic, it does not need to clog up the TGR toilet.
    3. Twice around with gorilla tape? Seriously? Why not just go four times and leave no room for air!
    4. Did you just say 1" Gorilla Tape but require 27 words to do it? It's Gorilla Tape. It's 1" wide. Ergo it can be called 1" Gorilla Tape and 99% of English speakers will understand what you're talking about.
    5. Clean out the old tape. If something isn't working, get the old "ain't working" shit out of there and start afresh.
    quit hijacking this thread.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Well, pulled tire, tape had a small wrinkle, replaced tape and now is hard as a rock, wife pleased.