Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hhtele View Post
    But, I encourage you to think outside of the box. Maybe there is some other way to equip yourself for touring in NH that doesn't leave an an unattended deadly weapon in the woods. For example, you could leave your gun home. That's what a lot of gun owners do.
    ^^^Chuckle-worthy.

Was this you on the hike to Biology 101, RTTT? Or were you on your way to shred the gnar?

Nice Epic profile shot...

Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    ^

FTW, again! Best thread on the board hands down.
    thx... And I just want to reiterate, I know we are all glad we can joke about this. Lessons learned and movie rights earned...

Cash could certainly help with med school tuition.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
    when the fuck am I going to have to know about circuits and magnetism?).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	154320

It is always weird to me when people say things like this. When does anyone need to know about art or music? Its the same thing.

.. when the fuck am I going to have to know about circuits and magnetism?
    Brain synapses and MRIs, how the fuck do they work?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Movie rights sold last night.

Hahahaha!
    Photoshop skills are strong with this one
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Beetman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	154320
    That is the greatest song ever recorded, and so freakin' wonderfully germane to this thread.

I know the heart of the issue. It’s us.

Example. Bear with me…true story that just happened in Cowhampshire. I’ll use bullets.

Afterschool program k-8 go for walk in the woods behind school. Many acres of wooded land.

Come upon fishercat (native to NH!) with deer leg in its mouth.

Little kids taken back, older continue walk.

Get back and let admin know it was seen.

Email alert sent to faculty stating they’ll have fishercat removed…from the fucking woods.

Neighbor is missing dog. Their child attends the school.

Janitor states he has video of fishercat carrying dog off into woods.

Little kid(s) come to my wife saying deer was pregnant and fishercat is on killing rampage! Horror!

Janitor can’t find video of dog…or it’s dark and hard to really see anything?

My wife replies to email saying please use common sense when speaking to the children about our native fishercats…blah, blah, don’t be dumbasses, etc.

Some reply that the fishercat MUST be removed and others reply direct with jokes tgr-esque.

Neighbor comes into school stating his dog came back home!

...this just happened so the story continues...

I wonder if that dog was out in the woods mangling a moose carcass.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    I know the heart of the issue. It’s us.

Example. Bear with me…

Bear? GET A GUN

Seriously though, I'm deeply conflicted here. I can't say I'd wish the OP's near-death experience on anyone, but I can't imagine what my life would be like at the moment without this thread.

The now four essentials of BC skiing:

1) Beacon

2) Shovel

3) Probe

4) Gat

I'm sure you meant five, and let's get the order right here, it could be important:

1) Gat in a nearly-adequate holster (but nothing absurd, of course)
    2) Beacon, so they can find your body
    3) Probe, so you don't have to sacrifice a pole for a rectal hip stabilizer
    4) Airbag (just..duh)
    5) Shovel, for burying people. I mean wolves!

For all you haters, having that gun fly off at the critical moment is like being thrown clear in a car accident. It's just good sense.

Don't forget the beacon to locate your lost gat.

spook Guest
    the gun should be on a retractable cord.

Wouldn't really call it a tour by most people's definition. No skins or touring skis. Went up in boots and crampons, then jumped in ski boots and alpine skis. Can't wait to actually get a touring system (moreso a new pair of boots, flex 160 lace up Langes suck to step into when its 20 degrees out).
    Maybe sell your gun so you can get some decent gear?

Were the LEOs happy about the unattended weapon you left out in the woods? Is that why so many wanted to meet you?

He wears a helmet, AND he's pre-med!

Not that it matters, but I'm calling BS on the level III holster claim. Have yet to meet a person that is willing to spend $100-150 bucks for a behemoth of a holster. I'm guessing he doesn't want to make himself look like an idiot for losing a f-in firearm so he's trying to throw out terms the average skier doesn't know. Feel free to correct me Patrick, but you're making the rest of us gun owners look like morons.

Patrick seems like most of the spoiled, entitled, adolescent ski racers I've met. He's the East Coast's answer to AKPM. Same name too.

He's young, hopefully he'll figure things out.

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    The now four essentials of BC skiing:

1) Studfinder

2) Shovel

3) Probe

4) Gat
    FIFY....

Our intreped hero posted a TR on epic ski from his trip up the Ravine LAST season:

"The snow was very granular, corn like in quality. Stepping into it was like quick sand, perfect avalanche snow. After about 40 minutes of carefully working my way up, I felt a light movement under my feet. I slowly moved my way over to a small bush that was poking out of the ground. After securing myself on the bush, I took my skis off my pack with my boots already clicked into the bindings. Boots already in the skis, can't be too hard to get in, right? WRONG. Lace up liners! Complete pain in the ass to get into, even moreso with the shells already clicked in. I struggled a good 10 or so minutes until I finally got them on. Game time. With my line already planned out in the event of an avalanche, I took off. And with me came more than a foot of snow down the gully. I could hear it coming down behind me, and I took the escape route on the skier's left of the gully. I took a slight tumble while turning off into the escape route zone, and ended up taking a 100ft slide into the bush. Normally wouldn't be an issue, but being in a t-shirt, it was a little painful. I guess I'd have some cool injuries to show off to my friends back down at school.

The "Seven" gully was in the same shape, so I decided to give that a go as well. Basically the same result, and I decided to throw on a sweatshirt and gloves as a precaution.

I don't have a go-pro, so I had to make due with putting my phone between my stomach and waist band on my bag."

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    He's the East Coast's answer to AKPM.
    Dueling virginities?

Kind of like a ski off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Spirit View Post
    Our intreped hero posted a TR on epic ski from his trip up the Ravine LAST season:

"The snow was very granular, corn like in quality. Stepping into it was like quick sand, perfect avalanche snow. After about 40 minutes of carefully working my way up, I felt a light movement under my feet. I slowly moved my way over to a small bush that was poking out of the ground. After securing myself on the bush, I took my skis off my pack with my boots already clicked into the bindings. Boots already in the skis, can't be too hard to get in, right? WRONG. Lace up liners! Complete pain in the ass to get into, even moreso with the shells already clicked in. I struggled a good 10 or so minutes until I finally got them on. Game time. With my line already planned out in the event of an avalanche, I took off. And with me came more than a foot of snow down the gully. I could hear it coming down behind me, and I took the escape route on the skier's left of the gully. I took a slight tumble while turning off into the escape route zone, and ended up taking a 100ft slide into the bush. Normally wouldn't be an issue, but being in a t-shirt, it was a little painful. I guess I'd have some cool injuries to show off to my friends back down at school.

The "Seven" gully was in the same shape, so I decided to give that a go as well. Basically the same result, and I decided to throw on a sweatshirt and gloves as a precaution.

I don't have a go-pro, so I had to make due with putting my phone between my stomach and waist band on my bag."
    Jesus H...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Our intrepid hero posted a TR on epic ski from his trip up the Ravine LAST season:
    Holy clusterfuck, Batman. Good thing he learned some lessons from that one.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    Were the LEOs happy about the unattended weapon you left out in the woods? Is that why so many wanted to meet you?
    No, they weren't pissed at all. They saw the holster after the fall, and were shocked that I had a release. Fish and Game was there because the case was opened with them, State police to handle the transfer, and Forest services because they were a half way point for the two to meet. They all use level 3 holsters, so they know the amount of force/work it takes to draw/have a release.

Our intreped hero posted a TR on epic ski from his trip up the Ravine LAST season: With my line already planned out in the event of an avalanche, I took off. And with me came more than a foot of snow down the gully. I could hear it coming down behind me, and I took the escape route on the skier's left of the gully. I took a slight tumble while turning off into the escape route zone, and ended up taking a 100ft slide into the bush. Normally wouldn't be an issue, but being in a t-shirt, it was a little painful. I guess I'd have some cool injuries to show off to my friends back down at school."
    Well RTTT definitely 1-upped his last "cool injuries".

This just keeps getting better, or worse depending on how you look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by skiingislife725 View Post
    Not that it matters, but I'm calling BS on the level III holster claim. Have yet to meet a person that is willing to spend $100-150 bucks for a behemoth of a holster. I'm guessing he doesn't want to make himself look like an idiot for losing a f-in firearm so he's trying to throw out terms the average skier doesn't know. Feel free to correct me Patrick, but you're making the rest of us gun owners look like morons.
    So you have never meet a LEO before?

No, they weren't pissed at all. They saw the holster after the fall, and were shocked that I had a release. Fish and Game was there because the case was opened with them, State police to handle the transfer, and Forest services because they were a half way point for the two to meet. They all use level 3 holsters, so they know the amount of force/work it takes to draw/have a release.

Cool.

But now I'm interested in this "perfect avalanche snow." How does that work on the East Coast?