Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 5B View Post
    Spring skiing in Portillo. Late spring. I don't know how they will make it to Sept without a huge change in the weather.
    Ditto for 3 valleys, mud is showing up now on cat tracks, flats, and north faces.

Just got back from our first trip to ski South America. Wow, the terrain is spectacular! Vast open rope less at both Cerro Cathedral, Bariloche and Nevados de Chillan, Chile.

The snow is iffy and has been for the last 3 seasons from what we saw and heard. Freeze thaw seems to be the norm, but we lucked out with snow at Bariloche, upper mountain had great coverage, while lower mountain was sketch but skiable last week of July. Watch your gear here as one of our crew got his avi pack lifted. The skiing was excellent with powder under Condor Rock boot deep and endless lines of 2' windpack off Princessa 3. La Laguna is an adventure with river crossing at the bottom. Taxi up and down ran about US40 a day. Busses were packed, lots of people hitch hike up and down. Lots of school groups and long lift lines. Exchange for dollars was just slightly below BA rates in Bariloche downtown.

We crossed over to Chile on the bus to Osorno, then up to Chillan. Nevados de Chillan had the best base we could find from the limited resources on-line. This place blew my mind, bowl after bowl, separated by lava rock. We raged on well consolidated snow with 1" wind slab on top, never punchy. Lower Mt. was a bit treacherous with tracked and frozen, but all the above tree line stuff was awesome. Very few skiers here and tons of terrain. Transfers to the ski area from Las Trancas was US$50 a day round trip, rental car might be the way to go but you will need chains or 4WD if it snows.

Ecobox Andino is a cool lodge in Las Trampas, a bit pricey, but we had a sweet 1 bedroom house for US$200, and Rosa Maria the owner is awesome, she took us in when we arrived in the middle of the night, let us sleep in their conference room. Multiple restaurant options walking distance from most Las Trampas lodgings.

Word around Santiago was that the snow there was marginal, Gomez suggested the spring conditions up at Colorado were worth while. We did not ski there, went to Valpariso in stead. I really liked the Chiileans we met, sweet people.

The mind blowing open terrain made it so worthwhile, it would be drooling good with great snow. Thanks to Casey E for the info, we had a balst!

Here is the best on-line resource we found, snow totals may not be up to date for some areas, particularly Cerro Catedral, but overall a great resource.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/countries
    Last edited by Tjack; 08-21-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Tjack- thanks for the TR. I'm headed down to Chillan/Pucon areas at the end of this week. Sounds like it's still pretty fun there. Considering the trek to Bariloche, think it's worth it or just stay in Chile?

I will be arriving in Santiago Friday morning and will immediately be heading to Valle Nevado. Does anybody know of cheap transportation from the city to the mountain? Also, should I be stocking up on wine and snacks for the week in the city or can I buy some of this stuff in the resort area with a moderate markup. Hopefully this coming storm overproduces. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

I will be arriving in Santiago Friday morning and will immediately be heading to Valle Nevado.
    Read the reports above. You need to head south to Chillan.

It's so bad Portillo is giving prospective 2014 guests the option to refund their deposits or raincheck their reservations into a future season: http://www.skiportillo.com/vida-en-p...ante/?lang=en:

Dear Portillo guests,

We are writing to you regarding your Portillo 2014 reservation.

Portillo is a unique alpine resort. We are recognized throughout the world for our snow and slopes as well as our exceptional service and ability to create an unforgettable experience. We cherish this relationship with our guests. Portillo´s fundamental goal is to not betray your trust.

We want to keep you informed about your upcoming trip to Portillo and our current conditions.

Most of our lifts are functioning and all of the major slopes have adequate snow pack although the winter in Chile has been very dry. This lighter snow pack and unseasonably warm weather has affected the quality of the snow on our pistes. We are in a spring freeze\thaw cycle, the snow is firm in the mornings and spring like in the afternoon. Due to a recent wind event the snow is brown and dirty in places.

Conditions may vary and we will adjust the opening and closing of runs and lifts to keep your skiing safe and enjoyable.

At this date we have the following lifts and runs open:

Las Lomas, Plateau, Escuela 2, Escuela 3 (Corralito), La Laguna (David´s Run), La Princesa, Roca Jack, Condor, Canarios, Conejo, Cumbre, Juncalillo, Caracara (half way up for morning corn skiing).

At this time we are open with all of our Hotel services and amenities functioning for your enjoyment.

We know that you may be traveling a long way to get here and ask that you stay connected to our web page www.skiportillo.com for the latest updates and information regarding the snow conditions. Due to these circumstances, If you decide that you do not want to visit Portillo this year advise us and we will allow you to use your deposit for a future reservation when conditions are better or you may request a full return of your deposit.

If you have any questions regarding your stay in Portillo please contact us at info@skiportillo.com or reservas@skiportillo.com
    Portillo has had zero new snow in the past 2 weeks and just 24 inches since it opened two months ago June 20. Historically Valle Nevado is in a similar climate zone as Portillo and gets about 80% as much snow.
    Last edited by TonyC; 08-20-2014 at 05:18 PM.
    http://bestsnow.net
    "The most complete, comprehensive and objective guide to snowfall--and both prevailing and expected snow conditions--at North America's ski resorts ever published"- Powder Magazine.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Fair play to Portillo.

We are leaving Bariloche for Nevados today. The conditions here are late late spring. Did 3 days to Refugio Frey. Mud up to about 1600m, the last 200m (vertical) very soft and slushy snow. The lake near the hut has almost melted. The couloirs are covered in hard snow until ~11.30 then quickly turns into slush. The ones to the skiers left that are in the shadow all day are rock solid. Lots of frozen debree in the shadows as well.
    The Catedral resort charges full price for the day pass, but there is no snow (literally zero) in the lower half.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiwald View Post
    Tjack- thanks for the TR. I'm headed down to Chillan/Pucon areas at the end of this week. Sounds like it's still pretty fun there. Considering the trek to Bariloche, think it's worth it or just stay in Chile?
    Bariloche is only a 5 hr bus ride from Osorno so not too hard to get to. There is the US$160 reciprocity fee to enter Argentina. I would probably ski southern Chile and hope for corn snow. Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by jholefan View Post
    I will be arriving in Santiago Friday morning and will immediately be heading to Valle Nevado. Does anybody know of cheap transportation from the city to the mountain? Also, should I be stocking up on wine and snacks for the week in the city or can I buy some of this stuff in the resort area with a moderate markup. Hopefully this coming storm overproduces. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
    Check out http://www.skitotal.cl/. Buy your stuff near the transfer pick up before heading up, not likely to find much of use up there. The 15-20 cm dump forecast for saturday will only hide the rocks from view, so stay on the piste.

8/9-8/16 skied at Las Lenas. First 3 days the wind kept the Marte and Volcano lifts shut down. After that the Marte opened but almost everything off piste was closed except for Cerro Martin, Entre Rios, Torrecillas, which were good at the top but then quickly became hard, frozen, and wind affected about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down. Did manage to find some good corn skiing in the afternoon. Nothing off piste was open off the Volcano as there is only dirt on that side lower down. Lots of dirt on the lower aspect of the mountain.
    Drove by the Penitentes on the way from Mendoza to Portillo. No snow at all. Just dirt.
    8/16-8/20 skied at Portillo. Late spring conditions. Temps in the mid 50's. Roca Jack and Cara Cara were closing around 11:30 to 12:00. Lots of rocks showing. WROD on Juncalillo. Plateau was firm in the morning and then slushy in the afternoon. Very limited terrain available to ski at the moment, so I pulled the ripcord and left midweek, but not before having to bail off the Roca Jack 2/3 of the way up when a 2-3 foot diameter rock came tumbling down right through the middle of the lift. I am not sure that the incoming storm is going to bring enough snow to make a difference.
    Last edited by RiderX; 08-22-2014 at 07:13 AM.

This is where the snow is, and is not, going short term:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski Resorts in Chile Reporting Powder.jpeg 
Views:	134 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	157625

Alto del Padre is a peak, not an operating ski area, up the Tinguiririca valley near San Fernando, 35km northwest of Las Leñas. Antillanca is west of Villa Angostura. Unusually, the brunt of the next storm will hit Chile between Rancagua and Chillan.

Anyone itching for it in the central zone can contact me for a backcountry outing starting sunday, when the storm will be winding down.

anyone with motivation for muddy bushwhacking, questionable snow and similar things interested in sharing a rental car with freak and myself in the coming weeks? have some ideas where we would like to go (in south/central patagonia) but cars are expensive and would like to keep costs in check.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey E View Post
    Check out http://www.skitotal.cl/. Buy your stuff near the transfer pick up before heading up, not likely to find much of use up there. The 15-20 cm dump forecast for saturday will only hide the rocks from view, so stay on the piste.
    There is also a company called Alltoski. Located in the Bellavista district. I've used them in 2007 and 2012. In 2007, they better located and cheaper. http://www.hosteltrail.com/tour_companies/alltoski

This was definitely a good year to skip a ski trip to South America. About Los Penitentes, I skied there in 2009 and I would like to go back for a couple of days, but on my next two trips in 2010 and 2012, the place had no snow.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Casey, we are in Chillan right now and will be in the area until ~29th. Maybe will camp for a few days around Antuco and Puyehue after.

3 valleys were born again as the weekend snowfall tripled the forecast with 50-60 cm of fluff. Piste should be good for a couple of weeks, if the weather is "normal". Off piste was good, but knowing where to go makes the difference between wrecked skis and not. Portillo got a bit less with 40 cm. certainly looked good in La Parva:

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	157737

Got the rock skis out, but managed not to hit many:

Views:	171 
Size:	893.0 KB 
ID:	157738
    Last edited by Casey E; 08-25-2014 at 06:30 PM.

great news!

3 valleys were born again as the weekend snowfall tripled the forecast with 50-60 cm of fluff. Piste should be good for a couple of weeks, if the weather is "normal". Off piste was good, but knowing where to go makes the difference between wrecked skis and not. Portillo got a bit less with 40 cm. certainly looked good in La Parva:

Views:	174 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	157737

Got the rock skis out, but managed not to hit many:

Views:	171 
Size:	893.0 KB 
ID:	157738
    Pics I'm seeing from down there looks like the reset button was pushed. Woot! Woot!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Things are looking pretty good for next week in Chile. Seems like there is a good chance for precipitation from early in the weekend. Especially Nevados de Chillan but also the more central parts of Chile.

Im currently based in Cordoba, Argentina. Earlier on i was planning on making my snowboard trip to Bariloche, but if Chile gets most of the snow i need to consider it. Anybody know anything about hostels or cheaper accomodation in Nevados de Chillan? It seems like it would be a hassle to organize without a car, and no accomodation booked.

I just saw one guy over here paid 50 dollars for a transfer from Las Trancas to the mountain? I thought the distance was just a 10 minute car ride.

Looks like the season is saved. Lucky me, I picked the worst fucking week of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by ArneS View Post
    Things are looking pretty good for next week in Chile. Seems like there is a good chance for precipitation from early in the weekend. Especially Nevados de Chillan but also the more central parts of Chile.

Im currently based in Cordoba, Argentina. Earlier on i was planning on making my snowboard trip to Bariloche, but if Chile gets most of the snow i need to consider it. Anybody know anything about hostels or cheaper accomodation in Nevados de Chillan? It seems like it would be a hassle to organize without a car, and no accomodation booked.

I just saw one guy over here paid 50 dollars for a transfer from Las Trancas to the mountain? I thought the distance was just a 10 minute car ride.
    A link to transport options to Las Trancas, Chillan from Stgo: http://www.termasdechillan.com/como-llegar.html. Lots of cheap lodging in Las Trancas, I stayed at Chil-in in July, now $16.000 pesos for a shared room: http://www.chil-in.com/esp/index%20esp.htm. Transfers up to the lifts vary in price, but expect to pay $4,000 pesos or so each way. Good luck!

A link to transport options to Las Trancas, Chillan from Stgo: http://www.termasdechillan.com/como-llegar.html. Lots of cheap lodging in Las Trancas, I stayed at Chil-in in July, now $16.000 pesos for a shared room: http://www.chil-in.com/esp/index%20esp.htm. Transfers up to the lifts vary in price, but expect to pay $4,000 pesos or so each way. Good luck!
    Thanks for this info, Casey. So i guess Nevados de chillan can be done quite cheaply as well then. To stay in Argentina and go to Bariloche will still be the cheaper and the easiest option. Im looking at snow-forecast right this moment and Chillan is looking to get over 60cm fresh snow the next 5 days, and Cerro Catedral only more or less 15cm.

Good thing is im really flexible so i can wait a few more days to get a more accurate weather forecast.

Moved out of Chil-in this morning. Awesome place, exactly 10km from the lift office. Don''t get room 5. The kitchen is right below, it's very, very noisy and the rom smells because of it. Transfers up were 15,000 for 4 people, each way, but we used it only once. Unless there is fresh snow falling, hitching is free, works well and is how 80%of the people without cars there get on the mountain. The public bus goes only twice a day.
    It snowed ~30cm, inbounds it is completely and utterly tracked. Out of bounds is wind f*cked or sun f*cked with occasional pockets of good snow. The slope to Aguas Caliente (the untamed thermal springs) holds some good snow, Valle Hermoso not so much I am afraid. There are some crevases and patches of blue ice on the way to the main (and far) volcano. Higher up (2600-2800m) yesterday the wind was so strong, that you couldn't stay upright...

I am in Pucon now, but there is lots of wind coming in most of the southern Chilean side...

I'll be in las Lenas from this Saturday through Sept. 6. Staying in Corbus, anyone want to take some laps/do some BC missions?

Its official now. Las Lenas is closing 8th of September. Closing earlier every year. Read somewhere its decent on top though.

In loose relation to this, my Subaru died and my new car can't accept my old ski rack with all of it's glorious stickers. Would anyone collect some more south america resort stickers for me to mail back for the new rocket box when you have a chance? I will pay you for your efforts.

Edit: I skied Las Leñas, Portillo, Valle Nevado, El Colorado, Cerro Cathedral, and La Parva. Any of those would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by jcolingham; 09-02-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.