Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

South America 2014

Too soon? You know it isn't. I will likely do Portillo in late August. Didn't go last year after a couple of sub par years.

Early indications suggest an el nino year. Maybe a strong one. Maybe as strong as 1997. From what I gather it absolutely pounded rain in Chile that year.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product..._97/samer.html

Who skied the Andes in 1997? Let's hear!

I'm surprised this hasn't taken off yet. Who's going down? The Niño is back and it's going to be a huge season in the Andes. Many resorts already have a fair bit of snow on the ground (which will melt before the lifts turn, but still).

I'll be around August 15 till October sometime. If anyone needs help with accommodation in Las Leñas, feel free to PM me.

The Rundown:

And, more info on skiing in South America than you can shake a stick at:

South America 2012
    South America 2011
    South America 2010
    South America 2009
    South America 2008
    South America 2007

South America Ski

Snow Forecast Argentina Ski Resorts
    Snow Forecast Chile Ski Resorts
    Last edited by llyon; 04-20-2015 at 07:51 PM.

si hombre!!

hoping to get back down to LL...

Hoping to do LL for 2 weeks end of August/beginning of September. Will PM Ilyon for cheap lodging unless a few other people can agree on similar dates and renting a whole apartment becomes reasonable.

Does anyone know if the only direct bus from BA is still Friday night to LL and then Saturday afternoon for LL back to BA? I'll probably have an 11:40am flight out of EZE when I leave so I assume the direct bus won't get me to BA in time. Overnight buses from San Rafael seem to get to the Retiro station in BA at 8:00am. Would 3 hours 40 minutes be enough time to get from Retiro to a flight?

This would be the year of the snow for me. After a month in Gulmarg in February I am heading to South America 12.08-14.09. No firm plans, will follow forecasts.
    Are there any decent topo maps of any ski area in Chile/Argentina or is Google Earth my best bet? I found some old 1:250 000, but this is definitely not enough detail and GE is not trustworthy for places I haven't seen myself IMO.
    Regarding Las Lenas, are the budget accommodations in the nearby villages, or is there something reasonable ($30-40/person/night) in the resort? I already found a nice looking hostel for Bariloche - http://hostel41below.com

Also what are the deals with renting cars down there? We will be 3, so hopefully, divided between us it could be reasonable? No? Car is preferable, as it would allow some bits of tourism in dry days.

So many questions...

Last edited by DasBlunt; 05-25-2014 at 12:20 AM.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

20 inches overnight. More coming.
    Opening week is low season rate...

2 more feet of snow in the 3 valleys since yesterday, still snowing, road up is a mash up, even snowed in parts of Santiago. Am heading up to La Parva 6:30 AM tomorrow, opening day, will report back! Can´t be sure if El Niño really is responsible, the scientists are still debating, but it is the best start to a season since 2002. See Valle Nevado webcam screenshot here: http://bit.ly/1jnem4J

I will be posting more on snow in Chile as the season progresses......

For Chile topos, go to www.igm.cl, venta productos, cartografía, escala 1:50.000 and search on the map for the ski area you want. Where are you interested in going? I have found google earth to be pretty trustworthy and am plotting backcountry runs right now! I also have the ski areas precisely located on google earth, plus some backcountry destinations. Let me know what you want and I will see if I can help you.

For renting cars, you may not find the dirt cheap deals you can in the states, but there are international prices. This is a good option to be able to follow the snow and react quick to the weather. Roads are good in Chile, at least up until the last few km in some cases.

See my other post on skiing in Chile.

OD'd on pow opening day La Parva 2014:

http://bit.ly/1kA0rYz

Arpa set to open on July 21. We willbe offering english AIARE courses before opening.

Ill be guiding again. Say hi if you're around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using TGR Forums
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

If the prior link didn´t work (google+ goofy+), try this one:
    http://bit.ly/1kDeNaN

just booked flights, we will fly in to buenos aires on august 15 and leave from there on september 17. no other plans yet, see what the snow does first.

freak~[&]

Any advice on finding better deals on airfare? Right now I'm looking at $1490 from denver to buenos aires August 4 - 27 with delta

Check out http://www.hipmunk.com/ for flights. If you are planning on going to Chile during your trip, why fly into BA? Santiago is 45km from 3 ski areas and BA is 1,300 km to Las Leñas or 1,600 to Bariloche. Just sayin...

Im not necessarily planning on doing Chile and I left a rock board at a friends apt in BA. Isn't Chile more expensive compared to Argentina?

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner88 View Post
    Im not necessarily planning on doing Chile and I left a rock board at a friends apt in BA. Isn't Chile more expensive compared to Argentina?
    I am not really sure what the price differences between Chile and Argentina are, but the exchange rate in Argentina is subject to manipulation, so it can affect prices in USD. Lodging is totally dependent on your budget level and closeness to the lifts. Lift tickets in Chile, at the current rate of about 555 pesos per USD, cost:

Resort $High/Low
    Portillo $ 68/$ 50
    Valle Nevado $ 77/$ 68
    El Colorado $ 76/$ 61
    La Parva $ 72/$ 52
    Nevados de Chillan $ 67/$ 50
    Antuco $ 35/$ 29
    Corralco $ 63 /$ 43
    Las Araucarias $ 43/$ 40
    Villarrica $ 50/$ 40
    Antillanca $ 49
    Osorno $ 43 /$ 31

High and low season is variable in each resort. Usually, from the second week of July to mid August, plus all weekends and holidays, is "high season" in Chile. Discounts of 10%-50% can be obtained using local Telco promotions, certain local credit cards, and early purchases: nice to have an informed local buying you tickets.

Cheaper lodging in Chile can be found in Farellones (3 Valleys), Las Trancas (Chillan), Malalcahuello (Corralco), and Pucon (Villarrica). Of these, only Farellones is walking distance to the lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by moridinbg View Post
    This would be the year of the snow for me. After a month in Gulmarg in February I am heading to South America 12.08-14.09. No firm plans, will follow forecasts.
    Are there any decent topo maps of any ski area in Chile/Argentina or is Google Earth my best bet? I found some old 1:250 000, but this is definitely not enough detail and GE is not trustworthy for places I haven't seen myself IMO.
    Regarding Las Lenas, are the budget accommodations in the nearby villages, or is there something reasonable ($30-40/person/night) in the resort? I already found a nice looking hostel for Bariloche - http://hostel41below.com

So many questions...
    That hostel looks legit and has great reviews on trip advisor. When will you be in Bariloche? Nothing is firm yet but I will prolly be in the area the last 2 weeks of Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner88 View Post
    Assuming you are running on foreign currency, yes Argentina is generally cheaper than Chile for food/ lodging. Lift tickets and rental cars are about the same.

regarding topo maps: they exist and are locally available for most of the normal places. in argentina mostly 1:50 000 without much detail.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

I might be moving to Vina del Mar pretty soon, but I have lots of ski related questions

Is it hard to get to the mountains from the coast?

What is it like buying ski gear in Chile? I may need new boots in the future. Unfortunately, right now no ski shops around me have boots of the right size in stock.

What is the deal with backcountry skiing in Chile? Are there huts? Is it legal and easily accessible? Where do people normally ski and where can one find beta on this stuff?

@IceCoast070
    My plan at the moment is to spend 2 days in BA and then leave for Bariloche 14.08 evening. Afterwards depends on snow and forecast. Probably will stay for a week and do a few days in some of the other resorts around Cerro Catedral before moving to Las Lenas for another week or so.
    Then on 3.09 we pick up some friends from Santiago and hit some volcanoes in Chile until 14.09 when some of us leave for Buenos Aires and back to Europe.

It will be a wild run around the continent and I wish I had some more time, but I already did a month in Gulmarg this year and now having the oportunity for SA is more than I could wish for (:

The plan is it to be more of a backcountry trip and it is definetly legal to do it both in Chile and Argentina. We are 2 splitboarders and one skier and will meet with two more skiers in Santiago.
    This book - http://www.belupress.com/en/index.html looks like a great resource. It's recommended several times here. I am waiting for my delivery.
    http://www.scomuir.com/chile/ - This is another great resource I found with pictures and directions from some interesting places in Chile.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey E View Post
    Discounts of 10%-50% can be obtained using local Telco promotions, certain local credit cards, and early purchases: nice to have an informed local buying you tickets.
    Could you give some more info?

Just back from 3 valleys: thin but solid base, groomers are superb even though it hasn't snowed for 17 days, with about 14 of those being sunny. Great for carving and cruising, watch for small pebbles. Off-piste is hacked and weathered, lots of exposed rocks. Backcountry best bet would be high altitude windpack. Not much snow in the forecast. I hope to check out southern areas early July.

Originally Posted by Casey E
    Discounts of 10%-50% can be obtained using local Telco promotions, certain local credit cards, and early purchases: nice to have an informed local buying you tickets.

Could you give some more info?

Movistar and Entel codes presented in ticket booths give 10-15% discounts at 3 valleys, best is "2 for 1" mid-week. Banco Chile credit cards give 10%-30% in La Parva. Ticket packs (ie 5 or 10) can be bought with aprox 20% discount with AMEX El Mercurio, for 3 valleys, Portillo. Much detail and varied conditions involved, depending on when and where you are going.

Hey mags,

Good on you all for heading down to SA. Had one great summer in Bariloche with a broken ankle watching it dump outside, and a second summer actually skiing there while working for the SASS guys. Amazing time.

At any rate, we here at TGR HQ are planning for some gear reviews to post on the site in the fall and wanted to tap the mags to help with reviews of 2015 gear while you're shredding down in South America this summer. We're looking for men, women, skiers, and snowboarders, and are looking to get well-written reviews WITH GOOD PHOTOS of skis, boards, softwoods, and accessories. Once you'd been vetted for the conditions below, we'd organize drop shipping from each company to send you stuff before your trip. Some of it may have to be returned when you get back stateside, others you may get to keep. Either way, you'll get some sweet gear for your trip and a chance to become part of our gear review posse in the long run for those who prove themselves.

Anyway, here's our conditions:

-You must currently be stateside (we won't be able to get brands to pay international shipping, plus it get eaten up by customs if you're in Argentina anyways)
    -You must be heading down sometime late July-September so we have enough time to organize drop shipments
    -You must be able to show gear review writing samples. PM me with links to reviews you've done, even if it's a simple Tech Talk post.
    -You MUST be able to shoot or secure good photos, including action shots. This is beyond critical. Send along links to photo samples. You don't have to be some semi-pro maniac hucking cliffs, but we need some pretty turns and shit to pull people off the Facebook to read your review.

So if you meet those conditions and would be interested, please hit me up with a PM. I'm on vacation for the next few days but will get back to you as soon as I can. Right now this is a bit of a preliminary feeler, but I'd be stoked to have some mags representing for TGR on the review side in SA this summer...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.