Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Motorcycles...lets talk small dual sports

Its been 20yrs. since I last owned a motorcycle. I'm going to be working at the same job site 30 miles from home for the next two months. Seems like a good reason to look at getting a bike. Just like skis, one ride ain't gonna do it all but here's what I'm thinking.

a. Has too be able to do 50-55mph comfortably. I live on Hwy 40 and you have to be able to do this speed to avoid getting run over.

b. Dirt worthy - not single track but I want to use it to go fishing and such.

c. Not too heavy for a hitch rack - I want to use it for shuttle while kayaking and rafting.

d. Dependable - I don't want any projects

e. Trying to keep the budget under $3K

Any suggestions? XR250/400, DRZ400, KLR, XT something?

I put a few tens of thousands of km on a xt 225 dual sport and its still going strong. It'll do around 100 kph with half throttle highway.. Itll blow away anything on dirt roads with the exception of someone on a bigger dualy who can ride. Its badass on the trails too. As in itll go over anything if you can ride and for 100s of kms to a tank. I'm not a big guy though. Its carbureted with fins. think the new ones are liquid cooled with fuel injection... Just so happens I'm selling it also. PM me if interested in details. Im in southern AB.

I vote for a plated xr400r, not l, or the drz. The xt's always seemed a bit underpowered to me.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Friend bought an XT250 and does absolutely everything on it. Paved roads up to 55-60 mph (says the bike can cruise at 70 easy but just ain't fun), fire roads, and even some dirt. Does up to 3 hour road rides on it (one way). He has had almost everything (from a moto guzzI 1200 to a plush Honda cruiser) and says this has been one of the most fun bikes he has ever owned. Brought him back to the fun basics, he said.

Sent from my XT907 using TGR Forums
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

This thread is screaming for Trackhead's input.

Quote Originally Posted by peterslovo View Post
    Friend bought an XT250 and does absolutely everything on it.
    Never ridden one but I keep hearing how great they are. Seems to be a pretty clean one for $3200 in Golden, Foggy: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4376194035.html

Thanks dudes XT sounds pretty good. Makers, isn't getting an R planted a pain in CO? I'm not afraid to err on the side of a little small to start with. Honestly, if this works out I could see owning a trail bike and a larger dual sport. I rode a buddy's 2-stroke Beta something or other with a slipper clutch. I can't believe how easy that thing rode.

Oh...I'll need to get my endorsement again. Looks like I can go to one of those ABATE classes for $150 and walk about with my motorcycle licence. Sound about right?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Oh...I'll need to get my endorsement again. Looks like I can go to one of those ABATE classes for $150 and walk about with my motorcycle licence. Sound about right?
    Yep, but they fill up fast.

Unclear. Was$300 in Maine for the 2 day course...prices probably vary by location?

"A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by peterslovo View Post
    Unclear. Was$300 in Maine for the 2 day course...prices probably vary by location?

Not sure about out there, but here in MA you take your test with them, but you still physically need to go to the DMV a week later and get your hard license once the paperwork is processed. But also, there isn't much you can't do on a permit so it's not a biggie.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Looks like you've got it figured out already, air cooled will be cheaper and less up keep.

Damned Super Moto stuff killed the good prices on used faster bikes.

My advice , in a nut shell is this. I would be to gloss over any of the 250 cc air cooled four strokes. They are girls bikes with low power. Modern liquid cooled bikes are excepted. I had an XR400 as my first bike, and I kind of regret selling it as it was indistructable (no radiators) but hard to start after flooding after a layover. It also was not dual sported, Colorado plated only. It's fork geometry was odd also. My advice would be to buy a mid 2000's KTM 450 EXC which someone has gotten plated as a first choice or a DR400 with full blinkers as a second choice. The KTM will be more dirt worthy and the DR more street worthy, while still being ok on single track. Sooner or later you WILL want to ride dirt trails, so cut to the chase now and get a machine which doesn't suck there. Bigger KTMs and Hondas can be found for similar money. A modern 450 KLR is a good bike also. The bigger KLRs are great dirt road and pavement machines, but they are getting porky. My bet is that you need more than a 250, but less than a 650. Random opinions over

mtnlion rides his everywhere, goes on long tours, I think he has a 600? maybe pm him.

Jethro, I here ya. Thing is I kinda am looking for Grandpa's bike at this point. Any bike that is good at single track isn't gonna do what I need it to do on the open road. Dirt wise, I'm more about FS roads and double tracks for fishing, skiing and shuttle purposes. Besides DRZs, and I right in thinking that 400 dual sports almost don't exist? A lowered XR400 with DOTs would be perfect but I can't find any. Maybe I should just get a KLR and be done with it.

2nd the comments re smaller 4 strokes (eg XT 225/250) being under-powered for the highway. Even if you gear them so they cruise highway speeds more comfortably, then the gearing is too high for dirt.

XR or DRZ would be the way to go for a 400, KTM have more power but are more expensive. KLRs are cheap & plentiful & will handle dirt roads & FSRs just fine. KLR might be too heavy for a hitch rack though.

edit: I'm referring to 650 KLRs, didn't know KLR 400s existed, I guess they were never sold in Canadia

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    2nd the comments re smaller 4 strokes (eg XT 225/250) being under-powered for the highway. Even if you gear them so they cruise highway speeds more comfortably, then the gearing is too high for dirt.
    3rd.

You don't mention how much you weigh. If you're under a buck 50 and live in eastern CO a 250 4 stroke might work on the road. If you go 200# and live in the hills you will have a very stressful ride, both you and the engine. I have also found stock 250's are sprung for lighter guys and girls and get goofy when pushed with a heavier rider.

Agree with jethro and jamesp.

The KLR 650 is grandpa's bike. It's a forrest road bomber that will carry a good load, as good street bike as any dual, and cheap(ish) + easy to find. My only real gripes with that bike are no kickstart, and that it's top-heavy.

The DR series is basically the same thing - without the cult-following.

KTM = $

Just bought a 2009 KTM 250 XCF-W with 11 hours on it. Liquid cooled four stroker. Wide range transmission. Not a road bike, but this thing is bullet proof. Tons of power, and supposedly will cruise at 75. The EXC is its dual sport brother. Hight seat height, around 37" I'm 5'10" and once I get on it, my toes barely touch. Did I mention quick?
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    The DR series is basically the same thing - without the cult-following.
    DRs have a cult following in other parts of the world. I saw loads of them (400 & 650) in Australia, air cooled as vs KLR water cooled.

I've not ridden them but have heard friends talk about the 450 KTM engine being not so great at lower speeds, i.e. it likes to be revved. Supposedly the 500 or 530 or 350 (depending which year model) have more usable torque.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    DRs have a cult following in other parts of the world. I saw loads of them (400 & 650) in Australia, air cooled as vs KLR water cooled.

I've not ridden them but have heard friends talk about the 450 KTM engine being not so great at lower speeds, i.e. it likes to be revved. Supposedly the 500 or 530 or 350 (depending which year model) have more usable torque.

Don't know about the 350, but the 500 KTM is for sure a deferent critter than the 450. beside gearing, the 450 will rev to the moon, 500 is lower rev tractor.

Sure they ain't as zippy as the new water cooled, but the XR Honda has won about a zillion Baja 500's, so they're damn sure tough.

Yamaha's wr250r gets rave reviews. Kinda pricey though.

60 miles round trip at 55 on a 1 cylinder 4 stroke is going to suuuck.

XR650L = 350#
    XR650R = 280#

www.thumpertalk.com and advrider.com have an entire subforums dedicated to this stuff. All the info you need is there.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

whats the going price for a KLR 650 these day? I know they make a smaller one but 650 is hard to pass up with the following/aftermarket parts available for them. Any years to avoid?

KTM's are nice but $$ from what I've been seeing

Driving a 250 on a major highway would scare me, not enough power there

In the past I've put nearly 30k miles on a KLR. It's a pig and while it would work for you, there are better smaller lighter options out there. Another vote for the XR400 or DRZ. Don't worry about running knobbies, you will want them when you need them. Even crossover tires suck in the dirt.

This (I'm sure you could talk them down): http://rockies.craigslist.org/mcy/4406284099.html

And this is an absolute steal, especially given the luggage: http://rockies.craigslist.org/mcy/4407568984.html

Minty and in your budget: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4413141827.html
    Last edited by MakersTeleMark; 04-08-2014 at 05:18 PM.