Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: East Coast Surf

First time out in 2016. Crazy how warm the water still is in the NE.

NH was big and a little disorganized last Saturday thanks to Jonas. Sunday cleaned up nicely.

Pic by my son -

^^nice shot

East Coast Surf

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    NH was big and a little disorganized last Saturday thanks to Jonas. Sunday cleaned up nicely.

Pic by my son -
    Ditto... Great shot.

Is that you? Who needs California?!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

killer wave SJ, is that the rocks?

southside of BH.

My son had surfed it at dawn then headed back later and it had cleaned up a bit. This guy was charging it, so he snapped a few pics.

Wow, impressive. I've lived in the area for a long time and haven't seen a wave that big at SS. Maybe during Bill.

After grabbing some mail from my parents house I went and looked a few spots up near Straws, both were blown out with the high tide but really cool to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post

Is that you?
    No, not me. I'm a full on kook! My kids are becoming quite seasoned in the big cold waters.

Quote Originally Posted by rdennhs View Post
    Wow, impressive. I've lived in the area for a long time and haven't seen a wave that big at SS. Maybe during Bill.

After grabbing some mail from my parents house I went and looked a few spots up near Straws, both were blown out with the high tide but really cool to watch.
    Yeah, it was huge. Wind and swell direction as you know...
    They were at Linkys yesterday and it was still good.
    Last edited by strawjack; 01-27-2016 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rdennhs View Post

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    No, not me. I'm a full on kook! My kids have becoming quite seasoned in the big cold waters.

Yeah, it was huge. Wind and swell direction as you know...
    They were at Linkys yesterday and it was still good.

I have not been around much the last two decades, but that is the biggest surf I've ever seen from BH in the 15 years I did live nearby. Although, I was a bit north of where rog is these days, so I am sure I missed more than a few. I bet the Perfect Storm was bigger, but likely not enough headland to knock down the winds from that one. I recall Bill had huge waves in the evening at Wells Harbor. Leaping way over the jetties kind of thing. I could imagine some big surf down south that evening, but by morning the swell was cut in half and dropping quickly.

Kind of cool that it is maggots and maggots kids that are chasing the spots I used to chase as a kid. What is kind of cool about that whole coast line is that the Gulf of Maine and the Georges Banks conspire to slow swells down, allowing you to catch taller waves with smaller boards. That alone is kind of cool.

Your son got a good shot there. Was the wave staying open long? It almost looks like it wants to shut down there.

Yeah, the Perfect storm was mess. Just big storm surf with heavy winds. I was actually whitewater kayaking at the wall for that one just playing around in the chaos of the rebounding waters.

This storm was pretty good because it was so far off the coast. They'd barrel over for a brief moment, but not long enough. Not closing out completely either.

I surfed Rockaway, Queens for the perfect storm. A couple hundred miles of wrap cleaned that thing up nicely into big, thick lines. We called it the Halloween Swell until the book/movie came out with the updates name. Cool to know another mag was out in that swell.

I just realized I was wrong on that one. I was thinking another storm, not the Perfect Storm. I was living in Truckee during that storm.

reading this reminded me a of a video my friend shot during Bill.. enjoy

^great vid!

Closing the beach to surfers is so lame...and so NE!

But the tourist could get hurt!

Looks can be deceiving. Coldest day of the year last Sunday.

My oldest and pic by my youngest.

I don't know who took the vid, but my kid saw him flying the drone around. Big day in cow hampshire

AngelWolt Guest

Cool

Cool! I wonder when will the big waves and many who dare to surf on them?

^^^^huh? I wonder two.

j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

My kid pulled of the double yesterday. Freshies at Cannon and then surfed southside in the early evening. Pulled of getting to the Banff film fest as well. It's good to be young.

Damn. I'd be asleep. I only surfed today and I can't wait until sleep time.

I did that few times out here long ago. More like first light surf and then up to the hill to finish the day. Never with powder. It would be a rare event to have fresh snow and clean surf.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Damn. I'd be asleep. I only surfed today and I can't wait until sleep time.

I did that few times out here long ago. More like first light surf and then up to the hill to finish the day. Never with powder. It would be a rare event to have fresh snow and clean surf.
    Yeah, as you know, we usually have waves and snow at the same time, but it is rare to have clean surf also.

New winter surf photobook from Brian Nevins, good shit as always!

https://issuu.com/briannevins/docs/w...drift_magazine
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Anyone ever taken lessons with Summertime Surf in Pt. Pleasant, NJ? I haven't surfed in 30 years and thought it would be a fun way to kill a few days at the beach next week.