Switch/Spey setup for swinging streamers for trout and chrome

This weekend I got to play around with a Spey rod and can definitely see the advantages on medium to large rivers. 1 easy cast and I'm out as far as I had to work my ass off for with my single hander. Mostly I'll be using it to swing streamers for trout but I may also at some point get into some steelhead fishing.

I'm looking at the Reddington Dually. The reviews seem great and the price is definitely right. I'll be throwing bigger streamers, articulated stuff with and without weight. I'm thinking 6wt? Would I want the 11'0 or the 12'6?

The harder question seems to be what line. I'm a Rio fan and it looks like the Switch Chucker is getting good reviews. What I'm not sure of is how to get a sinking tip setup with this. I recently switched to a 250gr 24' sink tip on my 6wt streamer setup and almost instantly saw huge results in my streamer fishing. How do I get a similar setup that will allow me to keep the fly down in the sweet spots but not be a nightmare to cast with the switch/spey rod?

edit: I should mention that I have no interest in indicator fishing with this. Or really ever, at all.

Rod length/designation is completely angler preference IMO....others may disagree. I prefer an 11' only because it's more conducive to the rivers that I fish < 30' across in most instances. That being said I've had good luck with Rio's switch line as well as a compact skagit line from Beulah (can't remember the name off hand).

As far as getting the fly down in the zone I've always kept a leader wallet full of different Rio sink tips. T-8 through T-14 in various lengths depending on conditions. I always bought bulk and just made loops on the ends of the leaders, but Rio does sell tip sets as well. If you can it's always good to cast a bunch of different setups until you find that sweet spot for your casting style. What one person likes can cast like shit for the next guy. I haven't been over there in a while, but Speypages is a good forum to gather more info on the particular setup you're looking for.

Dually is great bang for you buck in a switch. The Chucker is crushing it for switch lines right now, it's got an uber agressive head that will turn over a nasty big nymph rig or heavy sink tips. You can throw some 15' sink tips on, Light MOW's, or polyleaders on the end for streamer fishing.

ok, cool. maybe this isn't as complicated as it was first seeming. so it would be Chucker, something like a 15' type 6 or a 15 - 20' section of T8 or T11 and then a short section of 10' maxima? It sounds like that would get me in the same type of setup as I'm currently using on my single hander.

as far as reel, I think I need to go with something suitable for an 8/9 wt if I decide to get the 6wt?

6wt will be OK for light duty stealhead?

I have a switch rod I use for trout and also a couple single hand rods I've added lower grips to. First off, I like to keep my sink tip length about equal to my rod length so for an 11' rod I really wouldn't go longer than 12' or so. Also, for switch/spey rods the line class of rods isn't standardized like it is for single hand rods. You really have to do a bit of research or demos to match the line to the rod and even the rod to the species of fish your targeting. One manufacturers 6wt might be fine for steelhead up to ~12lbs and another may not. That all being said, I believe that Redington is pretty well matched to Rio and a 6wt Dually might very well work great with a #6 Chucker. Good resources are the speypages website which is a blackhole of info and Red's fly shop in Yakima, WA which does a pretty good job of simplifying everything for new TH casters. They have a good website and youtube channel with really relevant videos. Also, TH casting is not easy. I self learned using the Skagitmaster 1 dvd but an instructor would have been even better. I do, however, like the skagitmaster style because its focused on casting big and heavy flies.

With the switch I'd limit it to 10-12' of T-11 or so. T-11 sinks quick and should be fine for streamer fishing. Wouldn't hesitate to fish the 6, for steelhead. Happy to help you get going on casting if the schedule ever frees up. The chucker is similar to a skagit style line so the Skagit Master Vid would be very applicable as you'd want to sustained anchor cast with the heavier tips.

fishing the HF would be an awesome way to break it in. we'll see what we can work out. My local shop, Western Rivers is also holding a spey casting class coming up shortly. I may see if I can pull that off.

Yah Steve and the folks at Western are all Spey fiends and a good resource for sure. Should be a good year on the HF with our snowpack. Jimmy's fly shop up here is running a trout spey clinic at the end of May with Mike McCune and Whitney Gould. 17/18 I think.

trigger pulled on the 6wt dually and an Allen Alpha III. pretty psyched to find new and exciting ways of creating giant knots and tangles.

I'm currently trying to decide if my 12'6" 6wt L2h is enough rod for kings (probably not)... I caught an 18 rainbow and the thing hardly bent. Columbia trib steelhead should not be a problem on a 6wt...

As far as sink tips go, carry a bunch... You'll have to experiment with your casting stroke, lengths, weights of head leaders and fly type before you have things dialed for each fishing situation. I usually have 12 ft of T11 6 foot T17 an intermediate sink tip, a medium sink poly leader, and a floater.

And lines, I've heard some rave reviews about the chucker, but I much prefer using shooting heads, just on a cost basis of not needing new spools every time I want to cast a different line. I also really like airflow lines, much much more than rio.

Also in the lower 48 I'd skandi, you don't usually need sink tips and skandi casting feels soooo much sexier.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

what kind of situations do you use the floater? dry flies or with a tippet and weighted streamer type setup where the water is shallow/slow?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Also in the lower 48 I'd skandi, you don't usually need sink tips and skandi casting feels soooo much sexier.
    Huh......?

I agree about shooting heads. I've heard good things about the switch chucker but I actually fish and recommend the airflo skagit switch which is ~6' shorter. That might not sound like a lot but it'll allow you to throw heavier sink-tips and flies. I have a wulff ambush head I use for lighter streamers and wets/wakers. Its like a scandi but still really short so I can use the same casting motion I use with the heavier stuff. Works well for me. I use the ambush head with just a leader or a polyleader + tippet. It doesn't have the umph to handle really big flies but is a lot more delicate with respect to presentation.

LOLWUT?

Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

I bought the Dually 6 12'6" this year as a first rod. I think SnapT suggested it. It's an awesome setup for saltwater, steelhead, or anything good size. I caught a pretty damn big silver a few weeks before the russian closed. Again, barely bent the rod. If anything, I'd look at something smaller or softer, but I'm pretty happy overall with the rod.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    fishing the HF would be an awesome way to break it in. we'll see what we can work out. My local shop, Western Rivers is also holding a spey casting class coming up shortly. I may see if I can pull that off.
    if md is teachin it i'd go 4 sure
    he's a 2hander wizzard

then again most of them wr studs can throw a single just as far w/ little energies
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Ayup, he's the one instructing. They do it over at SH park. I'm all signed up for it

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Huh......?
    Really? Do you not fish dry lines?

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    what kind of situations do you use the floater? dry flies or with a tippet and weighted streamer type setup where the water is shallow/slow?
    Well if you are thinking you are gonna fish a dry upstream... Maybe go back to the single hander. I use the floater swinging mice and other skaters, I don't use it when spedicating (although that only happens when I break a single hander and wanna fish a bobber). Otherwise water speed and depth dictates line choice. Remember 2 handers work best for swinging, they can be fished in other ways, but swinging is what they are made for, a lot of the time you are much better off with a single hander.

Really? Do you not fish dry lines?
    Nope, never.

This girl didn't eat a B&O

Nor this a Ska-opper

Nor this a green butt skank

I fish the dry line from June to November. But you're kidding yourself and everyone else if you don't think tips are they way to go for winter fishing from California to BC and beyond.

June-November is a long span of time... Just saying...

I fish tips most of the time too, I just much prefer scandi casting... And use dry lines as much as possible, plus for fishing big western rivers for trout I think a scandi is much more versatile.

Well if you are thinking you are gonna fish a dry upstream... Maybe go back to the single hander. I use the floater swinging mice and other skaters, I don't use it when spedicating (although that only happens when I break a single hander and wanna fish a bobber). Otherwise water speed and depth dictates line choice. Remember 2 handers work best for swinging, they can be fished in other ways, but swinging is what they are made for, a lot of the time you are much better off with a single hander.
    You mean this isn't going to a good setup to fish #24 midges on my local 10 foot wide ditch?

I think we are on the same page now. I had read some other things over on speypages about skating and have never really seen or used that technique. Most likely won't. Pretty sure this will be strictly streamers. Thanks for the info.

I definately spend a lot of time throwing wooly buggers on a floater too... its just when 20+ inch fish will crush skaters and nothing else... Holy piss...

Seriously though fish mice in the lower 48 in those big western rivers on a spey rod... It works...

Yo Dan, douche your inbox!

Fresh and clean!