Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Beast on Katana V Werks

Like the title says I'm looking for someone who mounted a beast to a katana v werks. Any issues with the hollow spots and stringers etc...? I know there's lots of reviews on the ski but not much with this binding. Thanks

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Volkl produced a template to indicate where its okay to drill and where its not. Every dealer who carries the v-werks katana should have one. I haven't seen any pull-out issues, but every pair i mounted this year had markers on them.

IMO, if i'm mounting a $1200 pair of skis, I'm disinclined to mount anything that would void the warranty or otherwise.

The mounting requirements for the Beast are no different to any other binding & it's mounting footprint is within the ISO/DIN standards so there shouldn't be a problem with it. A large length EPF Duke has a much longer/wider footprint than the Beast & the V-Werks Katana is fine with that.
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 04-06-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Gunder did that I think.

Anyone know how to get a hold of gunder

whats the word on beast compatibility?

Quote Originally Posted by coskiguy View Post
    whats the word on beast compatibility?
    enough money can buy you anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Volkl produced a template to indicate where its okay to drill and where its not. Every dealer who carries the v-werks katana should have one.
    So where do you get this template if you're not a dealer? I got a pro form pair and am hoping to mount 'em with an NTN Freedom setup. Marker bindings are not an option for me since they aren't stoopid enough to serve the dying tele market.

Edit: found something here: http://www.earnyourturns.com/wp-cont...t-area_15x.gif

That's for the V-werks BMT though, but I'm hoping the template is similar for the V-werks Katana. Anybody know?
    Last edited by Tri-Ungulate; 10-06-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    The mounting requirements for the Beast are no different to any other binding & it's mounting footprint is within the ISO/DIN standards so there shouldn't be a problem with it. A large length EPF Duke has a much longer/wider footprint than the Beast & the V-Werks Katana is fine with that.
    This applies to an TNT Freedom as well.

Finstah Guest
    No problem with mounting Beasts on V Werks Katana's.

Quote Originally Posted by Finstah View Post
    No problem with mounting Beasts on V Werks Katana's.
    So, to be specific, Beasts (including 14s) fit within the H-shaped mounting area?

I don't believe the beast fits in the pattern. I will try and check.

Any resolution on this issue? I'm interested in pairing the two together.

Backcountry.com was selling Katana and Beast packages. WildSnow has stated that the Beast easily fits into the H pattern reinforcement of Katana. Moreover, they have mounted tech bindings on BMT's. While it may void your warranty, is the small risk of ever having to use the warranty worth worrying? Find someone to mount them, and go ski. I plan to get a Katana V-Werks and put Beast 14's on them when a deal opens up.

Quote Originally Posted by meina222 View Post
    While it may void your warranty, is the small risk of ever having to use the warranty worth worrying?
    ehhh moreso than I would with about 99% of skis out there? do you only buy insurance for your perishable items? this thread smells like Bogner.

Giant conglomerate does douchebag move in order to sell their affiliated bindings.

Public responds by thinking it's reasonable to waive the warranty on overpriced skis in order to mount their preferred binding.

Profit.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Well I was convinced that the Beast 16 would fit in the V-Werks footprint but it appears that it only partly does. Pics shows the mounting location of my 304mm boot on a V-Werks template I drew up using the dimensions in the above post:

The Beast jig will mount the heel holes slightly further back than my locations but as I use inserts & want the screw heads to be accessible when the binding length is correctly set I've mounted the heels 5mm forward.

The forward most toe holes are only for the tour lever locking bracket so should be fine but the rearmost toe holes aren't fully inside the template, especially if using inserts.

I've only mounted one pair of V-Werks Katana's (with Lords & without inserts) & there didn't seem much substance to the core when drilling them.

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Giant conglomerate does douchebag move in order to sell their affiliated bindings.

Public responds by thinking it's reasonable to waive the warranty on overpriced skis in order to mount their preferred binding.

Profit.
    This.

Buy something else suckers.

It seems to me the 4 holes of the toe that would bear most the stress fit well within the pattern. If you are worried about the 2 front ones, you can probably try to jam the holes with enough epoxy so it soaks through the core but I wouldn't be concerned. Has there been a single instance of a binding pulling out of these volkl's? If you are worried about the fragility of a $1000 ski, you should probably not buy it to begin with.

Edit: didn't read the 2nd part of the post. The picture seems to show rear fits in though. Maybe you should not use inserts and mount straight in. I guess the beast is supposed to be a do-it-all binding.

First world problems - Sitting here with a set of B16's and my V-Werks and my major concern has shifted from the mounting template issue to a concern over the douche factor for having the most expensive set-up on the market (w/ Vulcan boot of course ... ).
    Who cares how the crow flies

I wouldn't sweat it. If you want to be a douche tell anyone that will listen that you bought them because Volkl is the best company and the v werks are the best Volkl and if you knew how to ski properly you'd already know that.

I rode the lift with a guy in v werks RTMs. I asked how they skied compared to the normal version because it's the first v werks Ive seen in the wild. "I don't know, never skied them. These work pretty well on groomers, but my Chams get bounced around less in chopped up snow". Is the v werks rtm just for plastic surgeons, or do people tour on it? Am I missing the point of v werks? This guy had alpine bindings that looked to weigh about 80lbs mounted to them.

As long as you wear a harness with at least 6 ice screws I don't see a problem with it.

#GSALives
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Thread drift but seems like a good place to ask. Any problems with first gen Dukes on Vwerks Katanas?
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Thread drift but seems like a good place to ask. Any problems with first gen Dukes on Vwerks Katanas?
    Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Get calipers and measure your old dukes?