Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Always kinda regret not going to the Sonic Youth / Neil Young Crazy Horse concert when the tour swung through SF Bay Area. NY supposedly had a stage set-up mimicking a giant junk yard
    Pretty sure that was ragged glory tour,sonic youth was great
    The chitown show opened w/ the rust never sleeps hooded jawas dudes bringing out a giant microphone
    neil come out and ties a big yellow ribbon on it for the desert storm 1 vets
    and blazes into a classic arc feedback driven star spangled banner that would make jimi smile
    cool shit in my book
    I caught about every tour i could from trans to lookin forward and the csny reunion
    w/ the shockin pinks bein my least fav
    and the 85ish crazy horse reunion over in Dueschland being my best/most memorable
    fuck ticket master and schalpers festival seating mahem ftw
    i still have a trans concert shirt
    i only wear it when i want to be og neil "like a inca" cool
    which is probably how a 30 year old t shirt has survived.
    cool is a funny thing
    hell i thought fonsie was cool
    and playin with trains aint my cool
    but throwin down for lionel sure was
    just like leno has cool cars
    but even bennies cooler than
    J
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Bridge School benefit was this weekend....

From a few short years ago, chump....

jj was close

but still not as cool as neil
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Cale's influence on Neil Young is lesser known, but in the biography Shakey, he waxed on about the blues-rocker at length, putting him on a pedestal shared only by Hendrix.

"What is it about JJ Cale’s playing? I mean, you could say Eric Clapton’s the guitar god, but... he can't play like JJ," Young told biographer Jimmy McDonough. "JJ’s the one who played all that s--- first... And he doesn’t play very loud, either — I really like that about him. He’s so sensitive. Of all the players I ever heard, it’s gotta be Hendrix and JJ Cale who are the best electric guitar players. JJ’s my peer, but he doesn’t have the business acumen — he doesn’t have the idea of how to deal with the rest of the world that I do. But musically, he’s actually more than my peer, because he’s got that thing. I don’t know what it is."

"JJ’s guitar playing is a huge influence on me," Young continued. "His touch is unspeakable. I am stunned by it."

Kinda expected to see an SFB post about Neil Young's birthday today.

fuck, i thought you were gonna say old neil died or something and that would have been unreasonable.
    swing your fucking sword.

but happy birthday to the old bastard!
    my buddy's dad was doing a piece on neil and was interviewing him at their house.
    buddy came home from school and there he was sitting on his sofa. said he was the coolest, grumpiest old man he ever met.

Somebody on here posted about renting a house near the beach in Hawaii. They sent the kids down to check out the beach while they unpacked. A little while later the kids came back and when asked how it was they said it was nice except for the creepy old man hanging out down there. Turned out to be Neil.

That's my favorite Neil story. Wish I remember who posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Somebody on here posted about renting a house near the beach in Hawaii. They sent the kids down to check out the beach while they unpacked. A little while later the kids came back and when asked how it was they said it was nice except for the creepy old man hanging out down there. Turned out to be Neil.

That's my favorite Neil story. Wish I remember who posted it.
    that is now my favorite neil story as well.

Neil kind of reminds me of Ernest Hemingway, because they’re both absolutely brilliant artists that I respect and admire, but they sound like assholes in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Neil kind of reminds me of Ernest Hemingway, because they’re both absolutely brilliant artists that I respect and admire, but they sound like assholes in real life.
    hemingway has been my absolute idol since i could read but i agree 100%. he was probably a fucking dick.

My heartfelt advice is that if you love Hemingway’s writing, and I do, don’t read any biographies about him.

My heartfelt advice is that if you love Hemingway’s writing, and I do, don’t read any biographies about him.
    i made the terrible mistake of doing an entire paper on him

True. No cleaner prose. I alway stop for a beer in key west at the “real” Sloppy Joe’s , where it was when Hemingway was there (now Captain Tony’s).

Hem Is teed up for the Ken Burns bio treatment in the next few years. Interesting to see how that goes.

Name:  IMG_0728.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  86.7 KB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

I saw Neil five times. One of the most fun was with the Blue Notes. (8/20/88) Lot of irritated people not seeing Old Man, but hey, it was different, and super-tight.
    Short, though.
    Last edited by rideit; 11-19-2020 at 08:33 AM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Joni Mitchell
    Chrissy Hynde
    Bootsy
    Bill Laswell
    George Clinton
    Prince
    Daevid Allen
    Allan Holdsworth
    Scot Schmidt

to start....
    ...not dissing Neil, he's one of my favorites; but c'mon, there's a ton of cool out there.
    those peeps are cool
    i bets paul macartney met a lot of em
    when sir paul says your the coolest person he ever met

well thats a lot of cool to be his #1
    it took his passing for me to realize it
    but hes on jj and neils level
    and the last time i was on the mothership george had changed from the outlandish colorful bootsey cool to a tradition blues guitarist look which is cool but not funky cool

Being cool is about not giving a fuck. Bob Dylan once traded an Andy Warhol painting for a sofa because he liked the sofa and he didn't like the paining.

Dylan said Miles was the coolest, but Miles is gone.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app