Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Trans marked the intersection of Neil and Devo. He made a movie at the same time with Dean Stockwell called Human Highway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Highway with Devo, Stockwell, and Dennis Hopper. If you read Shakey, his bio that existed before his recent approved bio, the conflict between Hopper, Stockwell, and Devo on set and off was palpable. Hopper thought the Devo geeks were very uncool. The Devo boys thought Hopper and his type were way uncool, too (Hopper was at the height of his out of control drugs and drinking period). The movie didn't turn out to be too cool, although I've never seen it. Maybe it is. It was cool that Neil attempted it.
    The movie is definitely odd, but this first version of Hey Hey My My with Neil and Devo is my all-time favorite.

Neil and Devo... Jamming. Devo JAMMING.

Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Thin, nearly expressionless, nasal, I could go on. I appreciate her talent in songwriting but her voice bugs the fuck outta me. So many better (richer, fuller) female voices than hers, even from that Era: Aretha, Ella, Grace, Janice. Even Karen Carpenter had a far better command of her instrument.

Joni Mitchell is the quintessential whiny NY hip artist: too "brilliant" for me. I'm OK with that.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Trans does a lot of damage to his cool. Holy shit that blew. A good friends first time on the L train.
    Thought I read somewhere that the sound of "trans" was done to interpret what his son, and others that suffer with cp deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    hold on now, i love Trans!
    totally remember getting krisp in high school on some Colombian Gold and putting this one into heavy rotation.
    That explains a lot. Lol.

Bliss Park, astral tunes, Trans on cassette. I can see it.

That explains a lot. Lol.

Bliss Park, astral tunes, Trans on cassette. I can see it.
    zackly!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Just found this. I ignore the r&r hof like I do public urination, but this is cool.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Trans does a lot of damage to his cool. Holy shit that blew. A good friends first time on the L train.
    Did you know he made that album for his son who has cerebral palsy? Apparently his son seemed to really light up when hearing neil through a vocoder. That's a cool fucking dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Thin, nearly expressionless, nasal, I could go on. I appreciate her talent in songwriting but her voice bugs the fuck outta me. So many better (richer, fuller) female voices than hers, even from that Era: Aretha, Ella, Grace, Janice. Even Karen Carpenter had a far better command of her instrument.

Joni Mitchell is the quintessential whiny NY hip artist: too "brilliant" for me. I'm OK with that.
    Dude. Have you listened to Hejira? That album is all time IMO. It doesn't hurt that Jaco played on it.

Oh and coolest dude alive? Herbie Fucking Hancock. Saw him solo a couple years ago. He is fucking 74 and still playing music ahead of his time.

The one on the left is cooler than the one on the right.

Please. Don't. Not him.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Please. Don't. Not him.
    I have to agree, but IMHO, YMMV and all that.

FYI... Neil Young & Crazy Horse are playing their first gig tonight of their postponed tour......

Neil Young & Crazy Horse Tour Kicks Off - Laugardalshöllin, Reykjavík, Iceland - July 7, 2014 ....

I saw NY in Seattle in 2012 and was like, "okay". Everyone else was all "right on!". I was hoping for more of a "On the Beach" experience.

Oh and Tipp, Joni is from western Canada and settled in So. Cal.

I'd have to say Leo Kottke is as cool or cooler than NY, and I really like NY. Last year I would have said Doc Watson.

A maggot who will go unnamed showed me a selfie of him and Neil Young cruising around in Neil's car.

I didn't even recognize who it was driving and when he told me, I said, "That's cool."

Tom on Neil

If you can't like at least the first part of this - you have no soul. And for that matter this song is maybe his best.

Neil Young...cool?
    Neil Young is about as cool as giving your mother a Cleveland Steamer.
    Richard Nixon was exponentially cooler than Neil Young wishes he was.
    Bonnie Rait's used tampons are cooler than Neil Young's dreams.
    Neil Young is to cool as Kim Jong Un is to representative democracy.
    Neil Young's guitar playing is almost as good as Charlie Brown's pitching.

I think Neil is a great songwriter but he seems kinda of neurotic which is the opposite of cool. I love live music but would rather listen to Neil Young's recording than see him live. Maybe if it was in a small club or something he would be great but the whole arena experience doesn't translate well for Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I think Neil is a great songwriter but he seems kinda of neurotic which is the opposite of cool. I love live music but would rather listen to Neil Young's recording than see him live. Maybe if it was in a small club or something he would be great but the whole arena experience doesn't translate well for Neil.
    You obviously have never seen Neil and Crazyhorse
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Seriously...is there anyone who is cooler than Charlie Watts?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    You obviously have never seen Neil and Crazyhorse
    I saw NY and CH in November 2012 at Key Arena in Seattle. Part of the problem was that the sound sucked, totally overdriven and too much feedback. Seriously, it was hard to make out the actual guitar riffs and licks and the vocals were completely buried under white noise for most of the show. I would think Neil would be more concerned about the sound but apparently not.

It was funny when they launched into Cinnamon Girl and everyone stood up and cheered, including a couple in front of us about my age(mid 40s) and the woman turns to her mate and asks "what song is this?" while clapping and hooting like a deranged monkey, she must be one of their biggest fans. It was a pretty sloppy and overly noisy rendition.

Sound sucked = Neil sucks. Got it.

" I was hoping for more of a "On the Beach" experience."....

"Thats gold Jerry, GOLD!"

Hey, I didn't say he sucked, I said I didn't really think the show was that great. For the amount of money the tickets cost you would think that an artist with the experience that NY has would have the sound down. I've seen other acts in similar sized venues with fabulous sound.

I love Neil Young's music and I'm sure under different circumstance he might be great live. If all you got out of my posts was that sound sucked=Neil sucks you are retarded or illiterate.

Uh.. Part of the deal with Neil Young live is lots of feedback (except if he's doing an acoustic gig obviously). You need to dig out a copy of Arc (30 minute CD of feedback workouts from live shows) and immerse yourself. Or maybe it's just not your thing.

Anyways, saw him live in London on Saturday and he's still got it
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Feedback is fine, I'm a huge Melvins fan and like other bands that use a lot of feedback live, but if it's overdone and makes most of the songs unrecognizable it's really not that great. Los Lobos opened in Seattle for NY and CH and the sound for their show sucked too and I've seen them several times before and loved them. Maybe it was the venue and a shitty PA, if that's the case I won't be going back to Key Arena.

Even the few solo acoustic numbers he did in Seattle weren't that great sounding. I still think NY is great and love his music.