dry suit repair tips

The local voly SAR type dropped off 6 drysuits and sez they leak, somewhere ... so where is somewhere?

Well he duno, so I turned them inside out, put road hockey balls in the wrist gaskets and blew them up thru the neck gasket with my shop vac till the suits looked like the michelin man and I did a 1 min leakdown test ... a good way to find leaks in your suit

these look like brand new NRS dry suits so I am not gona go any further but besides looking at the more obvious places to put holes in a suit (shoulders/elbows/knees/ ass) spraying the blown up suit with a soapy solution would probably show bubbles where the leaks were
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You can use rubbing alcohol to find leaks.

Turn the item inside out

Lightly spray them down with rubbing alcohol using a spray bottle, it evaporates faster where there is a leak and turns the material a darker color

Mark it with a Sharpie and let it dry

Apply Aquaseal

-this is how I do it for waders, the drysuits may be a bit tougher to see the drying area if they are darker colors

Another option is to go in a dark room and shine a flashlight from the inside out to find pinholes

Good Luck

gortex dry suits are usually light grey inside ?

the shop vac method was fairly quick & dirty, i wonder if this is how Kokatat does it if you send a suit in or what?

I'm not gona spend too much time on this for a case of beer ... buddy is going to have to figure out where the leaks are if he wants them fixed
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-03-2014 at 01:58 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know