Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I think you need to be ready to run every day...so have your running program worked out. Shoes, socks, callouses...etc.

I only mention it because it was something I always had to force myself to get back into doing in February or March at the latest so it wouldn't be absolute shock and misery when I had to start running every day before project work this time of year. Coming off ski/hockey season I never had any issues hiking, it was running that caused me issues. Not to question your fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    I think you need to be ready to run every day...so have your running program worked out. Shoes, socks, callouses...etc.

I only mention it because it was something I always had to force myself to get back into doing in February or March at the latest so it wouldn't be absolute shock and misery when I had to start running every day before project work this time of year. Coming off ski/hockey season I never had any issues hiking, it was running that caused me issues. Not to question your fitness.
    Good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    California definitely has a bad fire season gearing up.
    Yep. Pretty pissed that the Rim Fire ripped right through my favorite Yose camping spot at Hardin Flat. Going to be more of that type of stuff this season for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

They're always hiring on the North Slope rigs from what I understand. Maybe some AK mags can chime in.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Didn't get a fire job. Tried, but there are just so many places in cali, I spent so long online looking them all up and so long on the phone calling them all just to see who might still be hiring. It seems like for the same amount of time effort earlier in the year I could of put the same number of phone calls into a few hot shot crews and established myself as someone serious about getting hired, which is what I will do in the fall if I don't figure out something else first, but for now, it seems like that time would be better spent looking for other jobs.

Got an app in to a company in SLC thats about $15/hr with overtime, so if I'm lucky I'll get that.

Still thinking about oil jobs but not actively looking just yet. A young friend of mine got hired to one in kansas, but they only pay $10/hr. Most oil jobs I've found online require experience or skills like welding which I don't have.

I also think I've found a pretty nice off the grid cabin outside moab for $175 a month, so if all else fails I might do that and wait tables or something.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Check yr PMs Leroy.

Just got back from a trip from South America and am currently unemployed and broke. I have a bachelor's degree in environmental science from a really good university on the east coast. I've been job searching, and while there are a decent number of jobs with policy and NGOs, the pay is complete shit and many are part-time or internships.

I'm looking for ways to make a lot of money, relatively quickly, and don't mind being in the middle of nowhere and putting in long hours. I've thought about the oil industry and would probably find the work and local culture fascinating. Anyone have advice on where to begin looking for jobs with oil rigs? I'm in good physical condition and have a solid resume.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Yep. Pretty pissed that the Rim Fire ripped right through my favorite Yose camping spot at Hardin Flat. Going to be more of that type of stuff this season for sure.
    Ha! Greg Graffin was my college professor.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK. View Post
    Just got back from a trip from South America and am currently unemployed and broke. I have a bachelor's degree in environmental science from a really good university on the east coast. I've been job searching, and while there are a decent number of jobs with policy and NGOs, the pay is complete shit and many are part-time or internships.

I'm looking for ways to make a lot of money, relatively quickly, and don't mind being in the middle of nowhere and putting in long hours. I've thought about the oil industry and would probably find the work and local culture fascinating. Anyone have advice on where to begin looking for jobs with oil rigs? I'm in good physical condition and have a solid resume.
    Nothing wrong with having a degree and getting after it out here. LOTS of good folks in the same boat as you and me. Here in the Bakken, I have met some of the most fascinating people from all over the world and from all walks of life. I've really enjoyed that aspect of oilfield life. If you're willing to work hard and put up with some nasty weather, then you will likely make more money AND have more time off than you ever would with a "normal" job back home.

My primary question for you is do you have your CDL? Especially with a Class A, you can really be far more hireable with one. Rigs need to be moved all the time, not to mention tons of other random large equipment. I had fun driving some enormous trucks this winter. Seriously. It's pretty cool actually. When I graduated college, I never thought I'd be running around in cranes and other large trucks. It truly beats the hell out of cubicle work any day.

My biggest piece of advice for you is to not limit yourself to drilling rigs. There are TONS of interesting jobs in the oilfield that will make you just as much and won't be quite as hard as rig work. Check out coil tubing, wireline (my old job), hauling water/oil, pipeline, frac, workover rigs, well testing, welding, land/leasing (also my old line of work), water disposal (my current line of work), and many, many, many more things. Honestly, just get hired on with anybody out here with a good schedule to get started, and just by talking to other oilfield workers, you'll figure out what you'll really want to do in the patch. Good luck!

There is tons of work in Christchurch, New Zealand right now. Minimum wage is $14.25/hour (about $11.40USD), stick with a company for a bit and they may hire you off the temp agency, or if you have trade experience (construction/welding/electric..) you can make $20-30/hour. The city had two big earthquakes in 2010 and 2011 and still rebuilding, huge international labor work force so being a native English speaker is a major bonus. Not nearly as much money as ND, but you're in a far nicer place. (a working holiday visa is available for anyone under 30)