Talking TR: Petit Mont Blanc: Couloir versant NE

We had a celebratory "end of winter" BBQ at our place and invited friends over for grilled goods and cocktails as we watched the Bosson crumble away, very representative of the decaying snowpack here in the Cham. Davide De Masi photo:

Despite the rising temps of the day and forecasted for the future, as more cocktails were consumed I was reminded of our pow day the day before on the Tricot. Tom and Caroline were talking about going into the Miage the next day and skiing a line I've had my eyes on for the last couple weeks. Knowing there could still be more pow hiding and knowing that if there was it wouldn't be good for much longer, we decided to head to Italy, the land of milk, honey, and 3,000 ft north facing couloirs the next day. This may have been a cocktail influenced decision, only time would tell but I couldn't wait to get back in this awe-inspiring zone nonetheless. We rode the Bonatti Couloir last year about this time and it was truly one of the most beautiful descents of my life: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-Couloir-Italy. This time we had our sites on a pinner line on the Petite Mont Blanc, the Couloir versant NE. I snapped this shot from the Sommet du Mont Blanc last year, the Bonnatti Couloir to the right of our line:

Climbing up the couloir. The snow was firm, consolidated and cold. Pretty ideal for steeps. There were two Scott's ahead of us putting in the bootpack, thanks guys! I usually would've been terrified by someone skiing above me in a narrow couloir like this but the snow wasn't going anywhere and the dense pack wasn't giving off much sluff. We watched them link up perfect jump turns down the steep narrow part of the line and the snow looked great. Davide De Masi photo:

Carolina and I gettin high, as it steepens. Davide De Masi photo:

Me shreddin' the upper section. It felt pretty steep but the line chokes and turns a corner halfway up, tricking you into thinking it's only half as big as it really is. Davide De Masi photo:

Lil C making textbook jump-turns! Get it girl!

Tom sluffing Caroline, lol but not really as the sluff wasn't bad. Davide De Masi photo:

This is where it choked a bit. I think this can be an icy rock step sometimes but it was nicely filled in, just a bit icy on the left but really nice on the right. Davide De Masi photo:

The skiers hauled ass out from the glacier and skated their way down the flattest of flat, manky 2 mile road back to Courmayeur to tell the lifties to hold the last chair for their handicapped, beater, splitboarder accessory. We went immediately to Bar Roma and stuffed our faces with free aprés, all-you-can-eat Italian delicacies, washed down with negroni's.
    www.lizdaley.us
    @liz_daley

What a way to end a great season
    Thanks for sharing

Way to rip it up! Yeah, I'm thinking some sort of jetpack to catch up with skierfriends on the outs

They were some tasty Sliders....

Another great TR! I remember one evening in Bar Roma, the local constable would stop in every time he made his rounds on the street which seemed like every 30 minutes, that guy was hammered by the end of the evening

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post

Cool zone.
    No kidding. Thanks for sharing.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

I love reading your stories, you sound like you are actually having fun! Which is the second most important thing.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

One could send the better part of a season just hitting the lines in that photo.

BettyDee needs to get the award for the most/best TRs this season. Way to go girl!!!

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by BettyDee View Post
    Carolina and I gettin high, as it steepens. Davide De Masi photo:
    Chicks that rip! Holy shit thats steep. Thanks for sharing
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Sweet TR . Thanks for posting
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    awesome as usual. you even managed to get a negroni reference in there. best cocktail. nice.

that food in the last pictures looks amazing. the couloir looks okay too, I suppose.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

bump....
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

RIP
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by BettyDee View Post
    There were two Scott's ahead of us putting in the bootpack, thanks guys! I usually would've been terrified by someone skiing above me in a narrow couloir like this but the snow wasn't going anywhere and the dense pack wasn't giving off much sluff. We watched them link up perfect jump turns down the steep narrow part of the line and the snow looked great.
    Glad I could help out with the bootpack. It was a pleasure meeting you. RIP.