Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is LA worth visiting?

Going to Hawaii and have overnight long layover through LAX, debating whether I should turn it into 2-3 day stopover instead? Anything good to do in LA? Or is it a steaming shithole that should be avoided?

The answer is totally on you. Huge sprawling metropolis with everything from the best to the worst. Do you like cities? Do you like to explore? The answer lies within my man.

^^^That pretty much sums it up. I grew up there and honestly hate going up there from San Diego. There are cool things/places to see, but I would just skip it and spend the time exploring Hawaii.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Do you like lots of people and heavy traffic? Would you like to learn more?

Seriously though...I kind of feel like liv2ski.

Where did you grow up liv2ski? I grew up in PV.

^^^ This

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using TGR Forums

Rent a car and go to Redondo, Huntington, or any other beach and rent a board for a few bucks. It's fun. People watching is fun too. The city itself, meh.

I wouldn't cut a Hawaii trip short to do it, but if you are stuck there it's something to do.

spook Guest
    depends how long you're going to be there and how well you control your demons

Ground's been shaking a lot lately.

Just hit Roscoe's and call it good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TGR Forums
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I'd say go to the beach but they're surely better in HI. I like going to Hollywood & Vine and do some people watching, same with the bar at Chateau Marmont, the Venice beach "boardwalk" shitshow, or the Santa Monica farmer's market.

If you just have a couple hours to kill take a taxi to Playa del Rey just down the street from LAX and chill. Beats the fuck out of hanging out at the airport. Nice little restaurant there too called the Bistro du Soleil.

^Marina del Rey.

No, Playa del Rey. I'm not new to the LA area. Manhattan Beach is close too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    No, Playa del Rey. I'm not new to the LA area.
    Well, you have a point about it being more chill.

8 hours is enough.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Before I moved here I did the long layover on the way to HI by taking a cab down to Manhattan beach and chilling out on the beach, having dinner and walking around for several hours. Made it all the way down to Hermosa and back and it was a really nice relaxing time.

As for doing a multi-day stop, that is also a great idea. LA CAN be a shark invested nightmare when it comes to getting around but if you plan you travel well and avoid certain areas there is a ton of cool stuff to do.
    Suggestions:
    - Malibu for surf/hiking/MTB/beach
    - Getty, MOCA, etc. for some great smaller museums if into artsy stuff
    - Day trip up to Santa Barbara is a great drive, leave early and you could hit wineries in Los Olivios / Santa Ynez (or just stay up there for a night)
    - Catalina island for the day/night great diving and chill little community

Plenty of other stuff also including amazing mexican/korean food and spectacular people watching.

Hugh Conway Guest
    it's better than fucking Canada ya stupid cunt

spook Guest
    personally 5 minutes thinking about la is too much.

never been there thtell me its niceey
    watch out for snakes

Playa del Rey aka I heart airplane noise.

I too used to live in LA, and Tip's advice is good. Playa is close, and low key. Marina del Ray is just across the river, then Venice, and then Santa Monica just up the coast from there. Sticking with the beach towns near the airport theme, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa, and Redondo, are just south (although you have to drive though the wasteland of El Segundo). Any/all fulfill one of the tv versions of southern California.

Hollywood blvd / Sunset could make a good little side trip as well, traffic permitting.

Drive to SB is a good suggestion, but you'd want at least a whole day up there.

Well, seeing as there is supposedly no real Mexican in either Hawaii OR Canada, maybe you should just spend the evening getting some in/around LA.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Where did you grow up liv2ski? I grew up in PV.
    When we moved down from Canada, we lived in Hollywood the first year. Talk about culture shock to a dumb little Canuk kid Then we moved to da Valley (Northridge). Pretty nice area in a very white (lots of red neck racists) way. I liked it better when we moved to Glendale. Cool old house up in the hills, with the most awesome view of the Valley and LA lights at night. Loved the slutty women I grew up with, but knew I had to get the fuck out there at a young age, as all my friends were going down the tubes fast.
    I always wanted to surf in PV, but was just afraid the locals would kill me. PV is one of the few spots in LA I would actually live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

One great big festering neon distraction...

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    PV is one of the few spots in LA I would actually live in.
    Yep, I actually like the whole South Bay area (Manhattan Beach to PV.) We almost moved there when my job in DC was moved to LA and my wife had shitloads of offers from designers/remodelers there but fuck that place, especially since I would have had to be a glorified Paparazzo and commute to Burbank.

Quote Originally Posted by DickMerkin View Post
    Times Square or Vegas? I agree.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DickMerkin View Post
    Jackson? Bozeman? Salt Lake City? Denver? Boulder?