Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    How are you guys liking kick turns with the 191?
    I bc ski the 184, and I have a hard time on steep slopes with my kick turns.

I spend enough energy that I'm considering the 177.

Even though I love the way the 184 skis.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    I've the 191 as my inbounds/sidecountry rig mounted with kingpins. I'm like 6'1" and 170 lbs. No problem with the length whatsoever. The ski is pretty easy to turn anyway. Just mount it like 2+ because the recommended line is very far back. I never wished to be on a shorter ski, but then again I'm pretty used to ski 190-ish lengths.
    Awesome! Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Fellow PNW skier here currently weighing in at 205. I have the 184's and they are very easy to ski. I bought them as a touring rig that coupd handle the resort, so erred in the side of shorter. After a few days on them, if I could do it all over again, I would go 191. They aren't the metal Katana by any means. I'd be afraid you would over ski the 184 @ 225-lbs.
    Thanks BM! I've been hoping for some insight like this for some time on the 191's! I snagged the 191's! Now I need to figure out which bindings to role with. Would love to use my Look Pivots, but I don't think they will fit the Volkl template.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    How are you guys liking kick turns with the 191?
    I bc ski the 184, and I have a hard time on steep slopes with my kick turns.

I spend enough energy that I'm considering the 177.

Even though I love the way the 184 skis.
    I agree Rod. Kick turns are probably a tad more difficult...most of my days are spent carving to be honest. When I do end up making KT's, these skis will still be easier than my old Salomon's in 207 length. =)

191 Ski short on recommended line. Kick turns are not a problem. Do you think 6 cm is going to affect your kick turn technique? Limber up a little and you'll be fine. 6' 170. Would not want a shorter ski

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    191 Ski short on recommended line. Kick turns are not a problem. Do you think 6 cm is going to affect your kick turn technique? Limber up a little and you'll be fine. 6' 170. Would not want a shorter ski
    I'm mounted 2cm forward, so the tails are longer, probably like a191 mounted on line.

Just bitching, but on steep firm snow, it's sure not easy.

Kick turns aren't hard. You need to practice.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by gilly22 View Post
    Now I need to figure out which bindings to role with. Would love to use my Look Pivots, but I don't think they will fit the Volkl template.
    Don't worry about mounting Pivots. I've actually a double mount on my Katanas, first with Pivots at +2 now with Kingpins at +1. No problems. I liked the ski with Pivots at +2 more. Now with Kingpins at +1 it feels less damp and kind of jarry. But sadly you can't tour on Pivots.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I bc ski three times a week. I think I may need to take lessons, maybe from a psia instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Truth! I need a lot more practice on my kick turns. hahaha

Don't worry about mounting Pivots. I've actually a double mount on my Katanas, first with Pivots at +2 now with Kingpins at +1. No problems. I liked the ski with Pivots at +2 more. Now with Kingpins at +1 it feels less damp and kind of jarry. But sadly you can't tour on Pivots.
    That's great to hear! Maybe we can take this offline...I have some questions about mounting +2 and if there are any additional "gotcha's" with these skis and how they;re mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by gilly22 View Post
    That's great to hear! Maybe we can take this offline...I have some questions about mounting +2 and if there are any additional "gotcha's" with these skis and how they;re mounted.
    No problem man, just ask. Here or PM if you want some privacy.

Advice on where to mount my Volkl V Works Bindings - 184cm

Hi looking at thread

would be great to get all your feedback on where best to mount a binding

i have just bought a set of 184s and will be fitting marker f12s

this skis will be used as much as possible off piste but also on piste as this will be my main ski - i will also be touring on them upto 2 hrs at a time

any advice would be much appreciated

thanks Gary

Quote Originally Posted by m23e80 View Post
    Hi looking at thread

would be great to get all your feedback on where best to mount a binding

i have just bought a set of 184s and will be fitting marker f12s

this skis will be used as much as possible off piste but also on piste as this will be my main ski - i will also be touring on them upto 2 hrs at a time

any advice would be much appreciated

thanks Gary
    Dunno exactly about the 184 cuz I ski the 191 but as stated above you can mount probably anywhere btw +2 and 0. Don't go back from the recommended, though.

Dunno exactly about the 184 cuz I ski the 191 but as stated above you can mount probably anywhere btw +2 and 0. Don't go back from the recommended, though.
    Thanks for the feedback I think I'm going to go

+ 1 or + 1.5

I recently picked up a used pair of 191 Carbo-Katanas and have toured on them just two days. I'm switching over from my tried and true Voile 181 Chargers-which are great skis but, at times I felt like I needed more surface area under me touring on deep days.

So far, really liking the 191s. I mounted them on the line with a pair of G3 Ion 12s-also an upgrade from my older Dynafit Vertical STs. I'm skiing them with Scarpa Maestrale RS boots. The couple tours I've done with them have been in pretty typical Colorado bc snow conditions: some wind slab at tree line, creamy pow, some sun crust-generally good snow. They tour well and weight-wise, are just a few ounces heavier than my Chargers.

The skis do what you want them to. They're very predictable, and energetic. I've skied them in tight trees making quick, short radius turns, I've opened them up a bit in more open stuff, and I've even skied some chute-like terrain where I was making jump turns with them on old bed surface with some old sluff debris. The skis are responsive and solid in variable conditions. They ski like a traditional ski- can't slarve them like I can the Chargers- the tails want to hook up- which is good for steeps and more technical terrain.

Looking forward to getting them into some deep blower pow- Hoping for some more late winter storms to roll through my neck of the woods before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by m23e80 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback I think I'm going to go

+ 1 or + 1.5
    Hey, what'd you go with and what are your thoughts? Going to be doing Kingpins on 184s, will be my main ski for soft snow on-piste and touring. Thx!

Hi

I went +1

if I'm being honest I'm not sure how much difference this has made.

All I know is these skis are so good in all snow and all over the mountain.

It must be the rocker on the ski that allows it to ski so easy.

i have F12s on my skis and if you are doing tours of under 2 hrs each day I would stick with that type of binding

I have kingpins on my Navis Freebird for doing longer tours and they are great bindings - however I always come back to this if you want to ski hard and fast and you want to save your knees long term then don't go pin bindings on your main ski.

I have fallen a few times on the Navis / Kingpin set up and the rear has released but depending on the way you fall the toe has Not - on more than 50% when this has happened my meniscus has been put to the test - thankfully it has stood up but only just

For that reason alone I would not put these on my Kats as the F12s have always released when required.

i have learned to ski within my boundaries with the Navis / Kingpin and as a touring set up its great

But the Kats are just so much better and on pow they just eat it up - it makes skiing easy and I like that

Hope this helps and I'm sure you will get some more views / feedback on the kingpins

regards Gary

Excellent, thanks! +1 it is. This'll be replacing a ski with Ion LT's that were also used in-bounds on occasion, so I'll actually be feeling a little better on the Kingpins :-) Looking forward to riding these!

I've skied by 184 Katanas mounted with Kingpins a few times so far. I got them as a 50/50 resort slack country ski. I wanted to get 191 but found a great deal on 184's and since I had demoed the 184's and was suitably impressed, I went with them. I am 6'3" and 185lbs. My first two outings were resort slack country in terrible conditions. The first time with unbreakable wind crust and the second with an unbreakable rain crust so I knew they could handle hard surfaces well. The third time was a backcountry powder day and they were great in the powder, but not as great as some of my dedicated backcountry powder skis like my DPS Wailer 112's. I think it might have been a length issue, because, while I was very comfortable with the length on firmer and resort spring conditions snow where I demoed them, there was a bit of a teeter totter feel at times finding the right fore aft balance. Mostly, I thoroughly enjoyed them. They were quick in and maneuverable in the the trees and tight spaces and while not being as floaty and surfy or loose as my 112's, they were great at speed and locked into turns nicely. While the 184's seemed fine, I would recommend anyone with similar stats to mine to look for a 191 if you are looking for a powder or big mountain ski. If you are looking for an all mountain resort ski, a 184 is probably a good call.