Miami Key Biscayne Fishing Advice

Going to be there for a week toward the end of may, and hoping to get some flyfishing in. Salt or freshwater. Guides may be out of my budget. Any info would be much appreciated.

Find a canal and fish for peacock bass. Or, you can wade a lot of that area. Look on google maps or check out Navionics for shallow areas near where you are staying.

Thanks Warthog, much appreciated.

My dad used to live in Miami and I fished in Biscayne Bay out of a $100 canoe many days.

You should rent a canoe or kayak. You will be able to cover a ton of water and will have fun even if the fishing is slow. The wife and I paddled all the way around Key Biscayne and out to Stiltsville on a calm day. I highly recommend that paddle. Tons of sea grass flats to fish out there, but watch out for motor boats and keep an eye on the tides. It can be pretty hard to get back in if both the wind and tide are against you.

As I remember, you need a fishing license to fish out of a boat (cheap and totally worth it), but not for wade fishing. Check the current regulations. I used simple fly patterns like Clousers and Deceivers and did OK, including a couple of barracuda. Don't overlook a light weight spin rod. They are pretty versatile in saltwater. Fishing should be pretty hot when you are there. Check out the Florida Sportsman website for info and stoke. http://www.floridasportsman.com/

I'm trying to talk myself into buying a ticket down there for when Big Sky closes. Good luck and post photos!
    Originally Posted by nickwm21
    "hitting rocks ain't normal use in their eyes..."

Bump! My brother just moved to Miami and I might be visiting later this March/early April. Looking for some fishing and paddling advice (my bro doesn't fish but I do)!

I left Miami 20 years ago. The canals have great bass fishing. Truly outstanding. In the ocean, I used to wade go into the flats of south biscayne bay or upper Key Largo, near homestead, there are many ancient roads to the water, with my ultralight bass rod, a 2 foot wire leader, and a big rapalla and fish for barracuda. Fun fish, jumps and fast. If you can get into a marina, such as Black Point Marina, snook near the docks can be great, hell you can have all sorts of fun at Black Point, the dredge pile will take you way out into the water. Tarpon, in the right season, even in the salt water canals, use a bass popper and they HIT! If you have access to a canoe, put in at the John Deering Estate and paddle out to Chicken Key. If you have money this is an old friend of mine. He KNOWS about fishing. http://www.snookstampcharters.com/

If you can get up to Lauderdale I'll take you out on our boat. Mid-march the Ceros are off the beach blowing up ballyhoo schools. Mid-late may there may be some bigger blackfin around still. I've wanted to put someone on a dolphin on fly, too, and they should still be popping in May.

Just saw original thread is 2 years old. Well, Groomer, March and April the Ceros and Tuna should be thick.

Yo Frizzo-

You still come to this coast? Got a new ride. Bit more offshore than before, but still floats in 2 ft of water.