Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Nope. Pretty sure he had it all wrong.

His rants on Bilderburgs, Masons and Secret Socities were absurd.

Tenure is a hell of a drug.
    Ok, you may be right about this guy. While it may be true, that shit is not history unless he has significant corroborative evidence.

He should have been teaching a political science course instead.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    funny thing is chemistry degrees by themselves are pretty worthless. Waitressing pays better than plenty of BS Chem gigs; even a Chem PHD isn't worth that much and it's most definitely a service industry. < shrug > talking about the future with people of the past.
    i realized that 30 years ago when I dropped out of an under grad geo program. I was a junior and talking to my friends that graduated, they were headed to grad school, or working in the service industry, or not making any money in their first gig.

it was fun, but I wasn't going to grad school - I was barely scraping by as it was - the bottom fell out of the oil industry - there was no work

so I waited tables, which is what I did during the summer. lived life until I thought I had a clue. in reality I was lucky - I hated accounting but got through the program and was able to migrate to IT a year and half after graduation. IT fits my personality and out look. I am not really that successful but I like the work. every day is different, and I work for the most part by myself

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Yeah, apparently he had crawled out of the cave and no longer had to view the shadows on the wall that we call reality.
    drugs - can't beat 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    funny thing is chemistry degrees by themselves are pretty worthless. Waitressing pays better than plenty of BS Chem gigs; even a Chem PHD isn't worth that much and it's most definitely a service industry. < shrug > talking about the future with people of the past.
    i know a lot of ex science degree holders that are code monkeys - again it's almost a service industry - but it pays the bills

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    geology, if nobody is going to heed their warnings anyhow, why bother.
    b
    Well played sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    I fear there is more than a grain of truth in that stereotype. Love my sister in law, but her degree in Hippie Arts from Evergreen doesn't bring her any more tips than the HS dropouts.
    So her expectation of getting a job as a result of going to college in "hippe arts" is what? Maybe she took that stuff because she liked it and she doesn't have any expectations that it would lead to a job. Maybe she does but the only thing I get is that you have that expectation.

I'm not intended to be glib, but that's the part of what I'm getting at: don't have the expectation.

How much of this system was based on a class society? Once if you were rich enough to go to college, you didn't need to get a job afterward. You went to make connections and become a good conversaionalist. If you weren't rich, you learned a trade.
    I guess that's what I did: colleDge, graD sk00l, then learned some trades(med tech, aerospace engineering, x86 asm, C, x64 asm, C++, etc)

Now we see so much slipping away to countries where the focus of post secondary is to learn engineering or chemistry while we slowly become more of a service society.
    The really funny thing about this is the number of immigrants being brought in by large software companies (under H1Bs that are "managed" by the hiring company) that undercut the market so a lot of phd drain is going to Wall Street as quants rather than software. There some articles about it I'll dig up.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    i know a lot of ex science degree holders that are code monkeys - again it's almost a service industry - but it pays the bills
    Yup. But again, I still don't get what's wrong with a libuhral ahts eddication.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    you mean like plato's parable of the cave? I can't count how many times that has helped me solve printing issues!
    It's actually an allegory, not a parable.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

My sister-in-law majored in Ancient Greek Lit. and Philosophy.

Seriously, what can she ever expect to do with those two degrees? An archaic language and a degree in bullshitting. NOICE.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    So her expectation of getting a job as a result of going to college in "hippe arts" is what? Maybe she took that stuff because she liked it and she doesn't have any expectations that it would lead to a job. Maybe she does but the only thing I get is that you have that expectation.

I'm not intended to be glib, but that's the part of what I'm getting at: don't have the expectation.

I guess that's what I did: colleDge, graD sk00l, then learned some trades(med tech, aerospace engineering, x86 asm, C, x64 asm, C++, etc)

Yes, but that is what is fed to high school students. Go to college (no mention of what degree) and get a reasonably well paying job (that requires little physical labor) and it's your ticket to the middle class.

And statistically they are right, college grads tend to do better than non-college grads financially.

I think that a huge number of students would be better off if our system required 2 years of community college course work (cheaper) that allowed them to figure out if a) what they are interested in and b) allow them to test the waters without racking up 10k in debt.

We would also be better off if we had a system to track student into non-college technical programs like Eurppe.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nStick View Post
    Ok, you may be right about this guy. While it may be true, that shit is not history unless he has significant corroborative evidence.

He should have been teaching a political science course instead.
    Glad I got your seal of approval and prior to that your doubt that it was my incorrect world view.

Poly sci was even too tame for this kook.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Glad I got your seal of approval and prior to that your doubt that it was my incorrect world view.

Poly sci was even too tame for this kook.
    Ehhh what? Fuck you, you limp dick beater kook. Go roll our shit into little balls and eat them like Bon Bons. One by one.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nStick View Post
    Ehhh what? Fuck you, you limp dick beater kook. Go roll our shit into little balls and eat them like Bon Bons. One by one.
    Yeah... that seems like a measured response there pal.
    I still call it The Jake.

none of you are making any sense whatsoever. biology is not a liberal art. its a science. arts is not political, therefore not liberal or conservative. And your grammar is atrocious.

How about you all PM your company details (accomplishments etc.), and I'll decide which one of you I'm mostly likely to be able to tolerate working for. Then the lucky winner can have the privilege of paying me to perform whatever menial task it is that you do.

im so ending up in construction... if I'm lucky. either that or the streets

never go full retard

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
    It's actually an allegory, not a parable.
    dude, it's tgr. he should be congratulated for using a polysyllabic word, incorrect or not.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    My sister-in-law majored in Ancient Greek Lit. and Philosophy.

Seriously, what can she ever expect to do with those two degrees? An archaic language and a degree in bullshitting. NOICE.
    well, she knows she's a fuckload smarter than you anyway

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    well, she knows she's a fuckload smarter than you anyway
    An archaic language and a degree in bullshitting otherwise known as .....A LAW DEGREE!!!!

An archaic language and a degree in bullshitting otherwise known as .....A LAW DEGREE!!!!
    Heh. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Heh. Kudos.
    Thanks...but I owe it all to my hippydippy superflake liburahl ahts degree!

http://m.theatlantic.com/business/ar...anyway/359927/

Saw this article and thought it belonged here.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    geology, if nobody is going to heed their warnings anyhow, why bother.
    b
    Because you like your phone, computer, tv, car, and every other aspect of modern life. Someone has to tell me where to blow things up or everyone gets to freeze in the dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Yup. But again, I still don't get what's wrong with a libuhral ahts eddication.
    Nothing, if the student pays there way or mommy and daddy flip the bill, and afterwards they become a productive member of society.

Where the problem starts is when the taxpayer subsidizes little Suzie's 5 years of finding herself. Where is the ROI for society if she is no farther ahead than when she got out of high school?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Nothing, if the student pays there way or mommy and daddy flip the bill
    Perhaps a bit more liberal arts, specifically English, would have benefited you. Their, there and they're are not the same word!

-The Gylfaginning

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Nothing, if the student pays there way or mommy and daddy flip the bill, and afterwards they become a productive member of society.

Where the problem starts is when the taxpayer subsidizes little Suzie's 5 years of finding herself. Where is the ROI for society if she is no farther ahead than when she got out of high school?
    The ROI for society is really high for people reading Plato and Hume, etc. It did lead directly to the founding of this country. It's a relatively new phenomenon that we act like a person can be a truly educated and responsible citizen in this country without a grounding in its first principles. It's also a relatively recent phenomenon that we have allowed Congress to go full retard. Coincidence?