Granite Mtn (WA) fatality

In today's NWAC forecast:
    Around 4:45 PM on Saturday afternoon 2 skiers and a dog descending the looker's left (or skier's right) avalanche path on the south side of Granite Mt (visible from I-90) triggered a slab avalanche that stepped down to a deeper slab. Upon review of crown photos (below) and conversations with local avalanche professionals from Snoqualmie Pass it seems most likely that the initial slab failure on this cross loaded path included the Wed/Thu storm snow and the second slab of similar depth included last Sun/Mon storm snow with the bonds between these layers weakened by strong solar input and potential melt water in the upper snowpack during the afternoon. The best estimate right now is that both slabs were at least 1 foot in depth.

The skier caught and eventually killed in the slide left the ridgeline at about 5200 ft in elevation and skied onto a steep (40+ degrees) slope. The avalanche became a large and destructive wet slab funneling down to around 2300', entraining increasingly saturated snow lower in the avalanche path and at times gouging to the ground. Initial size estimates are at least D3/R3. The other person was in a safe zone and not affected. The skier who was caught was buried under 20 feet of debris but was recovered Sunday morning by local search and rescue efforts. Another party of two lower on Granite was not caught and aided in the preliminary search efforts.

We don't believe the upper snowpack structure that led to this accident is common throughout the west slopes. However, we are increasingly concerned about wet snow avalanches on Monday, including those in isolated areas that could lead to wet slab avalanches.
    This pic was uploaded today for the incident:

sad news.

Ouch 3k' and 20' overburden. Vibes go out.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Good lord...20 feet of debris? Sickening.

He was only under @ 6" of debris
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    He was only under @ 6" of debris
    Hmmm "The skier who was caught was buried under 20 feet of debris", but either way semantics. Horrific. Condolences for sure.

Cross posting from another "T" forum. Feel the need.

I went up and over at Silver Fir yesterday for a walk about and giggled with the quality of the snow and my tour. I knew someone had been caught and died but didn't know what mountain I was seeing.

Went back today to pay my respects.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1114641...erFirLaps2014#
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.