Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Slx $99 an end on Jenson.com, work with any rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    The new Deores are also the same. $120-$140 shipped for the pair from Merlins. Or at least they were.
    Unfortunately not true. They use the lower end caliper and do not use the Hi Flow brake line and barb, still a fine brake though.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    FWIW my wife has an ibis mojo HD, all XT components except for the brakes which are formula. They seem like pretty kick ass brakes and if Ibis is putting those on their bikes instead of shimano there must be something better about them no?

worth looking into...http://www.formula-italy.com/en/bike-brakes
    Yup. Running at least six different sets of Formulas. All are outperforming shimano IME. The main strike against them is MSRP, but the RX is a great value esp if you shop around. Use them on the bike I usually ride at mammoth. Ibis has been spec'ing formulas for a while, at least on their better builds.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I haven't run the new shimano's but I had saints and old slx brakes, but I definitely prefer my elixirs and codes to either of them. Maybe its pad contact adjustments that actually work and even though they're harder to bleed, I think the suction bleed is more effective, getting an air bubble out of a shimano caliper is nearly impossible. You can also rebuild the avid stuff where as when a seal blows on a shimano caliper you're fucked. Shimano stuff is less prone to problems, but if you actually have a problem with them, they're horrible.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    Unfortunately not true. They use the lower end caliper and do not use the Hi Flow brake line and barb, still a fine brake though.
    Let me know if you ever notice the difference in performance (you won't). In fact the m615s don't have the problematic banjo bolt connection (common leakage), so they might even be more reliable. The performance is the same, thats what I was getting at (not necessarily that they are identical).

Let me know if you ever notice the difference in performance (you won't). In fact the m615s don't have the problematic banjo bolt connection (common leakage), so they might even be more reliable. The performance is the same, thats what I was getting at (not necessarily that they are identical).
    The slx and xts I have feel nothing alike. That's what I meant with the 'poppy' comment on the xts. They grab hard, instantly on engagement and have way less modulation. It might be the hoses (although I think I used the better hoses on my slx ones). I wouldn't say one is 'better' than the other, they just modulate differently.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Finally done with Elixirs. XT the answer? Where to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    The slx and xts I have feel nothing alike. That's what I meant with the 'poppy' comment on the xts. They grab hard, instantly on engagement and have way less modulation. It might be the hoses (although I think I used the better hoses on my slx ones). I wouldn't say one is 'better' than the other, they just modulate differently.
    I don't have experience with XTs, just SLXs and Deore M615s (though many many have said the SLXs are just like the XTs).

I should compare with the XTRs on my girl's bike. Curious now...

In case anyone here is looking for a set of Formulas, I have a set of new RXO brakes I'd sell. These were a sort of hybrid that Formula made for the OE market -- RX levers coupled to RO calipers. Complete with mounting hardware and discs.

I like the new Shimano brakes, so I never got around to installing these Formulas on anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I don't have experience with XTs, just SLXs and Deore M615s (though many many have said the SLXs are just like the XTs).

I should compare with the XTRs on my girl's bike. Curious now...
    They're all badass, from the lowliest to the most expensive IMO. Just different. The XTs are just kind of on their own as far as that punchy grabby feeling. Saints don't even have that going on. I don't really think you can go wrong with any of them and I'm not even sure you can fairly say one is any 'less strong' than any of the others, just the way they bite.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I had the leaking caliper over the winter and shimano took care of it. They went above and beyond with my return. My dumbass forgot to put the warranty form back in the box after using it to address the package. The first guy basically told me I couldn't fax it or email it to match it up when it arrived but I figured I just got one of the guys who wouldnt get off is ass and communicate with the other department. I called back and another guy took care of me and let me just email my form to him and he matched it up. A few days later I had a new brake. I have a pair of X0's and they are great but I like the XT's more. The stroke adjustment doesn't do much but they were only $10 more per brake then slx when I picked them up so I went with XT.

XT front on blueskycycling for as low as $89. Nashbar has XT for $104.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Yup. Running at least six different sets of Formulas. All are outperforming shimano IME. The main strike against them is MSRP, but the RX is a great value esp if you shop around. Use them on the bike I usually ride at mammoth. Ibis has been spec'ing formulas for a while, at least on their better builds.
    No longer, all Shimano now. Formula are fine brakes. It all comes down to personal preference

If any of you Avid-haters want to sell me your old pair cheap, shoot me a PM. I'm looking for a set right now for a build.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    The XTs are just kind of on their own as far as that punchy grabby feeling. Saints don't even have that going on. I don't really think you can go wrong with any of them and I'm not even sure you can fairly say one is any 'less strong' than any of the others, just the way they bite.
    I rode a demo bike w' XT's round the parking lot last year & just about went over the bars when I touched the brakes... made it seem like something was wrong with my brakes (Formulas). Glad to hear I'm not the only one who found them grabby.

I'm a fan of 1 finger braking, and they're definitely made for that. SLX's are the same way. Just riding around the block, you can hurt yourself if you're used to using 2 fingers.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I only use 1 finger on the brakes. The same one as when I flick you the bird, Captain Obvious.

whoa, easy there, guy
    No longer stuck.

So what is the fix for the leaking calipers? New brake pads?

I salvaged a set of pads last year by soaking the shit out of the pads and rotors in alcohol and then scrubbing em good with a toothbrush. I then hit the calipers with a spray bottle of alcohol and some qtips to remove all the residue.

I have never had issues with mine during the riding season, but after the long winter mine have been unusable until I clean em up good or replace the pads. Only issue I have had, and my XTs kick enough ass that I am willing to deal with this.
    Keep it unclipped

Finally done with Elixirs. XT the answer? Where to buy?

You can also cook them in the oven to burn off the oil. Check mtbr for details? Leaky calipers should get sent back to Shimano, I think?

I'm a fan of 1 finger braking, and they're definitely made for that. SLX's are the same way. Just riding around the block, you can hurt yourself if you're used to using 2 fingers.
    YEAH WHAT HE SAID! TOTALLY SHIMANO WENT TO THIS GUY STUCKATHUNTERMTN'S HOUSE AND MEASURED HIS HAND AND DESIGNED A LEVER AROUND THAT! TOTALLY!

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So what is the fix for the leaking calipers? New brake pads?
    I use one of these to cook the goo off.

http://cdn.protoolreviews.com/wp-con...ds/ptr/459.jpg

But fixing the real problem involves sending them back to shimano. Beyond just getting oil on your pads, if they're seeping, you will get air in your lines. I had a pair that would be working absolutely fine until a really hard leaning corner, then they would go completely 'blank', lever to the bar with zero braking force. It's dangerous so if you get one of those, send the brake back to get replaced. It's the one weird glaring downfall of these things. I've got another pair that have been flawless, both bought within 2 months of one another.

if anyone want to trade, I have a new avid XX carbon brake. 115cm hose

Will trade for a pair of XT

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    YEAH WHAT HE SAID! TOTALLY SHIMANO WENT TO THIS GUY STUCKATHUNTERMTN'S HOUSE AND MEASURED HIS HAND AND DESIGNED A LEVER AROUND THAT! TOTALLY!
    My hands are amazing.
    And by amazing, I mean awkwardly large with small wrists. The Japanese are a small people, so I was like a god to them when they studied my hands for their new lever design. All the Kobe beef and sushi one could eat. Such a nice bunch of people.
    No longer stuck.

My hands are amazing.
    And by amazing, I mean awkwardly large with small wrists. The Japanese are a small people, so I was like a god to them when they studied my hands for their new lever design. All the Kobe beef and sushi one could eat. Such a nice bunch of people.
    you cannibals sure are picky about which races you eat, and why.