Thread: Ankle fusion

Ankle fusion

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of skiing w a fused ankle. Shattered my ankle w a pilon fracture to go along w a snapped femur and a broken elbow. Not sweating the thigh or elbow but my ankle is pretty fucked w both surgeons telling me and ankle fusion is very likely in my future

Fuck I was hoping to never have to visit this forum again

Thanx

No personal experience, but I found some a few bits of discussion on Lou's site for you:
    http://www.wildsnow.com/1056/ask-lou-another-chapter/ (Scroll to the second note.)

http://www.wildsnow.com/787/dawson-lou-video-movie/ (Use Ctrl-F and search "fuse" in the comments)

http://www.wildsnow.com/943/camp-pul...-ski-alpinist/ (Same search)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Thanx
    I totally forgot Lou has a fused ankle

I know three people, besides Lou, with fused ankles.
    #1 My dad. He messed his up in high school playing baseball, and again in the days of the long thong bindings. He had it fused ten years ago, but it is too calcified to get in a ski boot now. He has rediscovered nordic skiing though.
    #2 A friend up in Sandpoint. He stuffed a ski under a log at Shweitzer early/pre season skiing. He went through hell for years before he got it fused. He is pretty active now and skis and bikes hard
    #3. An older friend who fell on his heel years ago in a climbing accident. He is still skiing a lot. I am pretty sure all of these people had them fused in a slightly bent position for smoother walking and for a neutral ski stance. The bones in the forefoot pick up some of the loss of mobility of the ankle joint

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Anyone have any experience or knowledge of skiing w a fused ankle. Shattered my ankle w a pilon fracture to go along w a snapped femur and a broken elbow. Not sweating the thigh or elbow but my ankle is pretty fucked w both surgeons telling me and ankle fusion is very likely in my future

Fuck I was hoping to never have to visit this forum again

Thanx
    Hi Gimpy! My ankle has been fused since 2000. Prior to that, I couldn't even get my foot in a ski boot let alone ski! It was the best decision that I every made. No longer in pain, lost my limp, and have met a few goals on my bucket list. I compete in triathlons and am an Examiner with P.S.I.A. The major piece of advice that I would give you is to find an orthopedic surgeon that only works on feet! My doc has orotho docs from all over the country coming to him to do fellowships and learn his magic!

Good Luck!
    ~Anne~