Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

real world gear advice for beginners

Looking for some "real world" advice for getting a first pair of skis -- gone about 30 times in my life, but not in quite a few years. long-time class v kayaker, typically aggressive in sports, just never had the time yet to get into snowsports. Finally at the place I've got time to get to the mountain. will be skiing in the PNW almost exclusively.

Advice I've gotten ranges from getting a used pair of beaters, to buying a whole new set-up. Talked to someone in a gear shop the other day that wanted to sell me on something less than 90 underfoot and then a buddy who tried to convince me to buy a brand new pair of on3p billy goats. Can't seem to get consistent advice. I'm happy to buy new to get the right gear. Really not interested in demoing at all. I'm 5'10" 185 lbs if that makes a difference.

For someone like me -- expecting to progress pretty quickly -- any recommendations for a ski that I could grow into and not out of? I've been advised I want something with some width to it. Is something that is 110 and greater too much ski at first?

Any and all suggestions or redirection (is there a better place to ask this question?) are appreciated. Funny, snarky, sarcastic comments welcome as well.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Oh! He's Aggressive! If you've been 30 times how are you still a "beginner"? That's TGR expert experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Oh! He's Aggressive! If you've be

en 30 times how are you still a "beginner"? That's TGR expert experience.
    Cuz he's only gone 30 times?

A class V boater generaly shows a healthy ability to be agressive
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You came to the right place for "consistent".

I'd say red boots. Yep. That's all I got.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Ha ha! keep em coming.

The most important thing is how you look in the lift line. If you get beginner skis, everyone will know your a douchbag gaper and the girls will make rude comments about your endowment.

So just get the most extreme skis you can find and try to ski them. If they kick your ass, just throw your boots in walk mode, sling your bad ass skis over your should and act like you just slayed the ridge.

Your welcome

buy something used ~185cm and 100-110 underfoot, and get off this site. ignorance is bliss in this sport.

Just to give you a bit of guidance. But this is very broad and just giving advice based on your location and what I would recommend to a buddy.

Get something in the 100-110ish range cause that will allow you to enjoy everything on the mountain. I wouldn't go any wider because you will actually need to learn how to turn and flex a ski properly which is more challenging the more waist width you have. Many people will recommend something skinnier and more traditionally shaped but then on days when it actually snows you will be frustrated.

Good place to start searching is
    on3p Jeffrey
    Moment PB&J
    Praxis MVP

There's a huge amount of info here and on blister gear review but honestly just pick up the one you can find cheap and on sale at the end of the season.

Feel free to ignore all of this and choose whichever ski you like but absolutely go to a boot fitter and be honest about your level and get a pair of boots properly fitted for you. At this point getting a pair of boots that are comfortable and flex correctly for your level is most important. Someone on here will be able to recommend a shop if you narrow down your location further than PNW

Ditto on boots from a good boot fitter being the most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisg View Post
    At this point getting a pair of boots that are comfortable and flex correctly for your level is most important. Someone on here will be able to recommend a shop if you narrow down your location further than PNW
    Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Ditto on boots from a good boot fitter being the most important thing.
    Cannot over-emphasize good boots as a priority. If you only have $600 to spend, make sure at least $500 goes into boots. Take your time, try on lots of stuff. And if you get the feeling a salesperson doesn't know what they're talking about, trust your gut. Come back to the shop a different day.

Hugh Conway Guest
    you'll be frustrated on something <100mm on good days? only if you listen to the assholes on this site and ski like a beater*

* or are that 1 in 10,000 actual special snowflake. Good god this shithole is a gift that keeps giving.

It is all a price matrix.

Upper left is establish a relationship with a shop you are going to give some serious coin. Not a bad option as bindings and boot shells can last quite a while as you cycle skis and liners.

Lower right is post naked pictures here and then put up gear request thread
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...to-Ullr-(NSFW)

Flame stickers make everything faster. Get die-cut.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

on3p Jeffrey
    Moment PB&J
    Praxis MVP
    Only recommends boutique skis.

but honestly just pick up the one you can find cheap and on sale at the end of the season.
    Then suggests finding skis for "cheap."

One of these things is not like the other.

Andrew, 95-110 is the generally-accepted daily driver width in maritime snowpacks these days. Lengthwise, you'll probably want something between 180-190cm. Generally, the more rockered a ski is, the shorter it skis for a given length.[/generalizations]

My advice: buy good boots first. Then find some used Line Prophet 100s, Gotamas, Rossignol S3s, or something similar for cheap. Bindings that have a 12DIN max should be fine. Have those be your learning skis and future rock skis. Once you get proficient, demo stuff and figure out what you really want. Buy good boots now though.

Now post some naked pics of a hot former girlfriend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

the deals are starting NOW so its a good time to buy, like buying a kayak in october after the season is over

100-110 under foot probably 185ish but you can ski on any ski its finding the right boot that is more important
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My sure-to-be inflammatory advice: whatever you decide to get in terms of width, etc, I'd recommend getting a traditional camber ski and learning to ski it well. Otherwise, for the rest of your life you'll be dependent on rocker to ski down anything, like half of the assclowns on this website.

Oh yeah, and get good boots. Red ones.

Sent from my SM-N900V using TGR Forums

Ditto on the good boots. That boils down to the ones that fit and feel the best not the most expensive bad ass ones you can find.

After that look for some used skis or last years demos. I'd try and find something that's middle of the road and not too specific. I know you don't want to demo anything but typically you can switch out several during a day and get a better idea of what feels right.

Skis are like boats and pretty subjective. I can paddle a Dagger RPM better than some hotshit creek boat down a creek because that's what feels right.

Hugh has a point.

Buy boots that fit, cheap skis, and invest in lessons with a good instructor so you don't pick up too many bad habits.

As far as the skis go, search craigslist and gear swap for something 180-185 in length and sub-100 mm waist with trad camber. You'll learn tons and can always upgrade later.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Hugh has a point.

Buy boots that fit, cheap skis, and invest in lessons with a good instructor so you don't pick up too many bad habits.

As far as the skis go, search craigslist and gear swap for something 180-185 in length and sub-100 mm waist with trad camber. You'll learn tons and can always upgrade later.
    I am in agreement with this, well except for the Hugh thing, dude never has a point, he just likes the sound of his own voice.

If you love skiing -- you'll want to stick with your good-fitting boots, but you will always be interested in playing around with new skis:

Boots First.
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

Quote Originally Posted by pdxandrew View Post
    gone about 30 times in my life, but not in quite a few years.

Really not interested in demoing at all.
    Well you should be. You haven't skied enough to know what you want/like/need, and unless you're unemployed, you won't ski enough in your first season to justify all new gear. Don't make an expensive mistake.

Get some good fitting boots, and a jacket and pants that will work in our very wet environment, and take some time to rent/demo borrow, whatever, and make an informed decision when you've got some vert under your feet.

Advice I've gotten ranges from getting a used pair of beaters, to buying a whole new set-up. Talked to someone in a gear shop the other day that wanted to sell me on something less than 90 underfoot and then a buddy who tried to convince me to buy a brand new pair of on3p billy goats. Can't seem to get consistent advice. I'm happy to buy new to get the right gear. Really not interested in demoing at all.
    The majority of advice you receive is either self-serving, or self-validating.

is there a better place to ask this question?
    Actually, yes but the above still applies.

Also, tits or GTFO

Clearly you are in Portland.

You need boots.

Go to Mountain Shop and see Gregg.

Demo.

NW demo tour is coming to Meadows in a couple of weeks. Demo a shit ton of ski's for free. Check out ON3p's factory for free demo's(call first).
    Training for Alpental

Hugh Conway Guest
    If you are a beginner (and I don't understand how you are still a "beginner" after 30 days) or even if you are an intermediate (more likely after 30 days) demo skiing is pretty pointless because you don't know shit and - unless you get a flaming piece of 333 shit, or some racestock TGR board ego fluffing ski - each relatively unlikely - it doesn't fucking matter. People demo skis because they like it. Buy some shit used on this dump of a board in the next couple months, cheap, ski the shit out of it.

yup. Get a very good pair of boots--good means they fit good, not necessarily a brand or type-- and some middle of the road ski and go ski the shit out of it. You have to go through the motions for awhile before you start to have the ability to tell whether your problems or limitations are coming from technique or equipment. You just have to get something so you can start putting your time in.

i'll add myself to the list of folks recommending good boots (ideally custom fitted), 180-185 cm length used skis, and 90-105 underfoot.

the first thing that comes to mind are some old mantras or gotamas.

both skis are made by volkl, stiffer than average (good for coastal snow), and great daily drivers.
    Still waiting...