Cam Advice Thread #100099986

I don't get into this section of the forum much, but I'm planning on buying my madre a new camera for her birthday and could use some guidance. The camera will be used for vacation photos (retirement FTW!) and doesn't need to do anything extra special besides making it easy to take good quality images.

She's been clinging to her film camera for years, but is finally opening up to the idea of going digital. I love my S100 for quick photos, but I think the form factor will be a little too small for her - her current film camera is roughly the size of a rebel. I think one of the Canon G series cams might be a good option for the following reasons:

-Easier to handle than a tiny P&S, harder to drop
    -Larger buttons and more physical buttons than digital menus
    -Viewfinder (she's never owned a camera with LCD before - this may ease the transition)
    -Pretty ubiquitous; lots of people use the G-series so it should be easy for her to have any questions answered

She almost certainly will never take the camera out of 'auto' mode so most of the 'features' on a G15 etc. would probably go unused, but I've got no idea if any dumbed-down 'P&S+' cameras exist.

My primary goal here is to get her something that's easy, and feels familiar right out of the box. Thoughts? Any other cams (or category of cams) I should be looking at?

My f-i-l hated his G12 for some reason. Most people seem to love that series.

No idea how they match up in price but I hear people talk very highly about the G 1X.

Also check out the Powershot SX50 / SX 500 / SX510, slightly smaller than the Rebel but turn out some nice pictures...
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

I-Phone 5
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

You probably don't want to buy a used camera, but I'm digging the Nikon P7000 I picked up cheap (but mint) off eBay a couple of weeks ago. It's comparable to the Canon G12 in size, features, etc. From some limited use, it takes pretty decent pictures and is super easy to use.

It looks like canon still makes a powershot with an optical viewfinder, the a1400. Never used it but I have always liked the powershot series that I have used.

Buy her a used Gxx off Ebay for ~$150. I just bought a G9 for $110 because mine is broken but I have an underwater housing for that model and it's cheaper to buy a used replacement than upgrade everything. Shit, the housings cost more than the cameras...

I just picked up a Canon G15 and just shot it quite a bit in Costa Rica. Nothing I dislike about it except a bit more zoom would be nice. Really like the f1.8-2.8 lens. Had the Nikon P7000 and found it exteremely slow between shots, if you go Nikon maybe look at the P7700 or p7800.

Thanks for the advice, dudes.

Of course, after much hand wringing about the 'perfect' choice, we put the actual purchase in the hands of my Dad and he ended up going completely rogue and buying a superzoom from Sony

Oh well, I'm sure it will be more than adequate!

Fear not... I had a Sony DSC-H7 before getting upgraded to a Canon T3i the winter. The camera took some pretty decent shots for being a small sensor camera with only 8MP. I'm assuming the newer Sony super zooms are improved.

Here are a few shots I got with mine. You will likely need to do some post processing if you plan on making any prints.

Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Cam Advice Thread #100099986a

Thought I'd hijack this instead of making a new thread.

I'm looking for a replacement for my G10. I use it pretty well exclusively skiing, or that's what I most care about anyways. My G10 has seen a lot of days just hanging around my neck under jacket while skiing, it seemed to go downhill pretty quick when I started keeping it in my pack. The lens only deploys correctly ~50% of the time. Screwed with it as much as I can from the outside, fully stripping it to clean looks over my head (so many ribbon cables..) I've thought about replacing the lens/sensor for ~$100 after shipping and bs to Canada, but that's probably about the value of the camera.

So, replacement. I don't want a DSLR, as protruding lenses will end up at a bad end I think. Then there's the weight, the inevitable expense of new lenses, etc. The Nikon Powershot 7xxx series has caught my eye, specifically the P7700. Burly metal like the Canon, higher zoom capability than my Canon, similar weight, burst shots, seems great for my use. I'd like a viewfinder but apparently the screen is great so maybe I won't miss it as much as I think. I will most likely not end up using the dials too much, will likely be in full auto most of the time.

Is there another camera I should be looking at? Priority #1 is definitely burl and a protected lens, hi zoom secondary. The P330/310 has me thinking that maybe as a full auto shooter I can get away with a smaller, cheaper but similarly capable cam. Apart from zoom and stability, what will I really be missing out on with a smaller form factor like this?

How about "camera for the girlfriend" advice - main difference from "camera for my mom" is that the girlfriend is totally at home with digital and touchscreen interfaces.

What's super easy to use and pairs well with an iPhone???

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

A friend of mine likes their Canon iOS app for their 70d, which I think the newest s and g series inherit. Can't say I have used it myself though.

Cam Advice Thread #100099986

I went with a Lumix LF1. Seemed like it had all the right specs - wide aperture, decent zoom, WiFi, creative controls. We'll see how she likes it!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell