Waders - What would you do?

First post here, mainly stay over in the ski section...but a recent trip to the fly show up in Lynnwood last month really got me itching to fish more than I have been.

Anyways, what should I get for a cheap wader setup? I'm planning on hitting smaller PNW streams and creeks (not too much steelhead fishing unless something changes) and some Puget Sound. All other trout fishing will be done in conjunction with backpacking trips where waders will not be on hand.

What benefit (or lack thereof) do you get with Neoprene vs. "breathable" style? I have never used waders before so be easy on me...

Neoprene shouldn't even be in the question unless you enjoy the sensation of being a sweaty sardine in a can. Lot's of good affordable options out therefrom the likes of Redington, Orvis, etc.

cheap waders?

check out cabela's - pretty good pricing, not bad product - they'll serve you well for the first couple years (then you'll want to upgrade to something more durable)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footw...F103926780.uts

You do not need to break the bank, a fancy pair of waders never caught a fish on its own.

That said, if you will be fishing in anything but ice filled waters I would go "breathable", you get what you pay for with "breathable" waders but there are good deals on many products out there, especially old stock. Neoprene can make you feel like a clammy trapped foetus if you are doing any hiking.

An excellent warranty and return policy is always preferred so I would focus on brands with a history of good customer service, as every brand will eventually leak with regular use.

I'd look at Simms, Patagonia or Redington, and don't forget to check your fishing regulations for which boot sole you are allowed to fish, rubber sole is the new norm for many systems.

A quick search found these
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~waders/

Thanks guys! Glad to get that feedback on the neoprene, I thought it would be like a wetsuit, the affirmation is what I needed.

I'll move forward on some breathable ones from either STP or craigslist. If anyone on here has a used pair and/or are looking to upgrade, I'd probably fall in the M/L range at 5'11" 180lb, size 11 shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    cheap waders?

check out cabela's - pretty good pricing, not bad product - they'll serve you well for the first couple years (then you'll want to upgrade to something more durable)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footw...F103926780.uts
    I'll second cabelas. My first pair was from them and they still haven't sprung a leak after 5 years, many 50+ days on the water year-round; almost all of it wading, scrambling and bushwhacking around the upper Fork. I upgraded to some nice patagonia ones last spring and the as far as fit and finish there is no comparison, but for function and durability the cabelas ones never let me down.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

My first par was LLBean and every time they got old and started leaking I got a new pair... Can't beat the customer service. I kept wanting to get simms or such, but LLBean kept being like "well, we'll give you a credit if you want to upgrade." I went through 4 pairs before I finally decided I really wanted to try simms.

I probably have 100 days in my Dan Baileys and they look like new.

Do you think I'd be pretty solid wading with these:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/all...r-men~p~5441x/

Not sure how the return policy is at STP but for the price it might be just the kind of waders to get me hooked and in the water (not in shorts and sandals).

Ive got a used pair of cabelas that I got from Telee. I could send them your way for some beer if you want to keep it cheap. I used them for half a season, no leaks or problems with them.

I would vote the shared or waders or spend another $50 and get the Simms drift waders that are on STP for $119
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Ive got a used pair of cabelas that I got from Telee. I could send them your way for some beer if you want to keep it cheap. I used them for half a season, no leaks or problems with them.
    It would be awesome to keep these going! Many a fish has been caught (and not caught) in these waders!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    buy good shoes
    wet wade
    learn to make quality presentations/ casts
    without soakin the jewels
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeCement View Post
    Do you think I'd be pretty solid wading with these:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/all...r-men~p~5441x/

Not sure how the return policy is at STP but for the price it might be just the kind of waders to get me hooked and in the water (not in shorts and sandals).
    I bought these too. Have used then only once they worked out fine. get wading boots with rubber soles and buy hex screws from the hardware store in a short enough length to not puncture your foot. (7/16ths maybe). Much cheaper than studs and they improve footing immeasurably. Don't stress about waders or footwear to much, just make sure you will have adequate traction and go have fun.
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    dfinn, I'll take you up on this. I'm a big fan of shared/handed down gear, feelin the love. Will most definitely be working on my presentations and keep adding to the catch count they have.

eGay is also a pretty good source of used or NOS waders. Both my Patagonia and LL Bean ones have been from there. Boots too!

Thanks for all the insight. Pants vs Chest waders? I have been hitting streams and backcountry lakes around Boulder...haven't gone more than sac deep. looks some nice options on STP

I wear my chest highs around my waist, then for those couple times, I pull them up, wade across, pull them back down. I wear them up on cold steelhead days too.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I scored some Simms Headwaters Waders from a consignment shop in Jackson (Headwall Sports) for a solid price. In towns like Jackson, you can pick up all kinds of gear that has been used, but not abused because they upgraded their gear.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    buy good shoes
    wet wade
    learn to make quality presentations/ casts
    without soakin the jewels
    SFB has the bottom line, but think Simms, Patagonia or Redington...and maybe a few of Orvis...will stand on repairs.
    Unless you look forward to a (maybe limited) career in film...ie that of a zombie = hypothermia...you wanna go with breatheability.

I don't fish very much or own wadders but I have fixed dozens of drysuits for beer ... it doesn't sound like you guys fix these things?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I don't fish very much or own wadders but I have fixed dozens of drysuits for beer ... it doesn't sound like you guys fix these things?
    i'll give you a case if you can unstink my bootfoot waders

https://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/clean-deodorize

Mcnett also makes Aquaseal, Freesole, seamgrip, I fixed my sons G-tex waders from the inside using Aqua seal and a used dryer sheet for backing material
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know