MPC #119 - Out of Your Comfort Zone -3/12-3/26

Thanks to all that voted, I've been doing these for a while and gotta say that the happy feeling in my pants is a good one.

My life choices, where I live, and who I'm friends with all revolves around skiing, as do many of yours. I find myself not bringing my camera out unless I am touring or skiing in-bounds. Lately, I've been trying to get out and shoot things I wouldn't normally shoot. Whether that means the method or the subject, I think it's a good way to push yourself as a photographer.

I want you guys to do that as well. Take an introspective look at your portfolio and identify something you do poorly or that you wouldn't normally do, and go shoot it and try to get better at it. That means no Lake Tahoe for Splitter, Wildlife/landscapes for Mtcham, Etc, Etc. If you post regularly in "Picture of the Day", I don't want to see something that you've done well before.

You could also take this title as "getting close to fear", but I'd rather you try something photographically out of your usual routine.

RULES:
    1. Photos must be taken within the time period of the contest.
    2. You may submit 3 photos during the competition.
    3. The contest moderator will choose 5 photos to be voted on.
    4. The winner will get a happy feeling in his/her pants. (That is a rule by the way, not an option.)
    5. In the event of a tie, the contest moderator will have the deciding vote.
    6. Winner will be the contest starter/moderator for the next comp.
    7. The winner has 3 days to start a new contest or 2nd place becomes the new winner.

MPC#118 Water
    MPC#117 Opposites
    MPC#116 Resolutions
    MPC#115 Celebration
    MPC#114 Santa
    MPC#113 Leading Lines part Deux
    MPC#112 Story
    MPC#111 Sunstars
    MPC#110 Noise
    MPC#109 Structure
    MPC#108 Vast
    MPC#107 Reflections
    MPC#106 Monochrome
    MPC#104 Your Beach
    MPC#103 Relationship
    MPC#102 Decay
    MPC#101 Juxtaposition
    MPC#100 Tilt-Shift
    MPC#99 Zoom
    MPC#98 Signs
    MPC#97 Artificial Light
    MPC#96 Portrait, as pertains to orientation
    MPC#95 MACRO
    MPC#94 Framed
    MPC#93 October
    MPC#92 White Line
    MPC#91 Harvest
    MPC#90 Where you live
    MPC#89 Geological
    MPC#88 Big Machinery
    MPC#87 Hot/Heat
    MPC#86 Stress Relief
    MPC#85 Dirty
    MPC#84 Transportation
    MPC#83 Of Yourself, By Yourself, In Context
    MPC#82 Long Exposure: Urban Edition
    MPC#81 Old School
    MPC#80 Energy
    MPC#79 Need
    MPC#78 Weather
    MPC#77 Action Sports
    MPC#76 Stress
    MPC#75 Anticipation
    MPC#74 Foliage
    MPC#73 Unreal
    MPC#72 Speed
    MPC#70 Old Technology
    MPC#69 Plan B
    MPC#68 Atmosphere POLL
    MPC#67 Plants
    MPC#66 Patterns
    MPC#65 Weathered
    MPC#64 WINNING
    MPC#63 The End
    MPC#62 Food
    MPC#61 Seeing Double
    MPC#60 Normal
    MPC#59 Tranquility
    MPC#58 Silhouette
    MPC#57 Waiting
    MPC#56 Night
    MPC#55 Fire
    MPC#54 Wheels
    MPC#53 Small Sensors
    MPC#52 Blur
    MPC#51 Found Faces
    MPC#50 Portraits
    MPC#49 Panoramic
    MPC#48 Light & Shadow
    MPC#47 Timing
    MPC#46 Coffee & Beer
    MPC#45 Community
    MPC#44 Potential
    MPC#43 Solitude
    MPC#42 Holidays
    MPC#41 Ominous
    MPC#40 Imbalance
    MPC#39 Transition
    MPC#38 Unsightly
    MPC#37 Self Portrait
    MPC#36 Music
    MPC#35 Summer
    MPC#34 Passion
    MPC#33 Home
    MPC#32 Electricity
    MPC#31 Bridges
    MPC#30 Old & New
    MPC#29 BW
    MPC#28 Winter
    MPC#27 HDR
    MPC#26 Shadows
    MPC#25 Circles
    MPC#24 Bars
    MPC#23 People
    MPC#22 Architecture
    MPC#21 Wild Beasts
    MPC#20 Water
    MPC#19 Bulb
    MPC#18 Celebration
    MPC#17 Sunrise & Sunset
    MPC#16 Out of Place
    MPC#15 Altered
    MPC#14 Angles
    MPC#13 Pain & Suffering
    MPC#12 Unusual Perspective
    MPC#11 Depth
    MPC#10 Contrast
    MPC#9 Festive
    MPC#8 Reflection
    MPC#7 Leading Lines
    MPC#6 Minimal
    MPC#5 Abandoned
    MPC#4 Perspective
    MPC#3 Airborne
    MPC#2 Straylight
    MPC#1 Motion

I'll start...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1394837203.473937.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	152568

My daughter was born at 0825 today.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

HA! She has great timing.

Congrats
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

photo cut due to 3 entry limit
    Last edited by ridinshockgun; 03-24-2014 at 05:15 PM.

I only brought my nifty fifty lens for this trip. I usually shoot with my 15-85, and usually only at about 15mm.

IMG_0734b by Ed Carley, on Flickr

IMG_0706b by Ed Carley, on Flickr

I realize it's not what you're going for... but this is more 'getting close to fear'.

Camera in hand, trying to stabilize it with the other, while hanging off a prussik, rappelling into a couloir... switch.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_3573.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	152791  

Congrats Huck Schmuck, as a new father myself, I can say from experience that you will become very comfortable taking baby pictures soon enough.

My entries are self portraits. I don't take many portraits, and certainly not of myself. In addition, I'm trying to get more comfortable with RAW post processing. Hopefully I don't look too much like a serial killer in these.

#1. My first entry isn't what you're looking for, but I was very much uncomfortable when I took it.

(It was really windy up there, too)

#2. I've only just begun taking photography a bit more seriously, if you can call it that. Just about anything other than ski shots and doggy pics is outside my comfort zone.

Most of the time I bring my camera its on a hike, or kayaking or mountain biking. Not that I do that well or anything, but it's almost always landscapes or action stuff. This time I took it to a bike show at the convention center downtown. The North American Handmade Bike Show came to Charlotte last weekend, and crappy weather made up my mind. So I took the camera with me, and tried not to look like a complete idiot taking pictures of people's bikes

These were all from 3/16

This bike was by Razik Bicycles, it's a woven carbon fiber construction. I couldn't stop checking out this bike, and what kept catching my eye for some reason was the cable routing through the top tube, maybe because it showed how little material there was there... so I tried to capture it while still getting something from the bike.

IMG_1202 by cbkoontz, on Flickr

Really liked this, on a bamboo frame tandem bike

IMG_1190 by cbkoontz, on Flickr

A beautiful wood frame mountain bike complete with..... wood wheels.

IMG_1172 by cbkoontz, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    Most of the time I bring my camera its on a hike, or kayaking or mountain biking. Not that I do that well or anything, but it's almost always landscapes or action stuff.
    ^This. I will add that I don't usually take the camera out around people I don't know. So I decided today was a good time to get out and take some "urban" shots in downtown STJ. Keep in mind that there is a pretty high unemployment rate here and a lot of the unemployed live and hang out in this part of town. They like to give the old stink eye to people poking around with a camera.

With that said while trying to get this shot, a local guy was walking in front of the building. He of course comes right over and grumpily asks if I got him in my picture to which I replied "No, I waited for you to move". Then he asked why I was taking pictures of St Johnsbury's bedbug infested building. To which I answered "it is still a nice building architecturally". I have no idea how I ended up getting this shot with no cars driving through or people walking. I took it just before 1:00PM at the busiest intersection in town.

Moving over a block I got this shot while dodging cars.

Finally, I got this shot right in front of where I parked my truck. My wife's uncle and cousin built this retaining wall last year.

Last edited by From_the_NEK; 03-26-2014 at 08:21 AM.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

This is from my first trip to Moab and my first time shooting climbing

Not really pushing comfort zone but trying to get lifestyle portraits on the same trip.

I shoot lots of skiing but as a photographer this is the scariest shot I've ever gotten, really close to the landing zone and the skier had a blind takeoff. If he went too far right I was ready to duck my head and camera into the snow hopefully letting my pack take some of the impact.

We have a flock of crows that drift through every morning and evening scrounging for anything they can get.

Smoking some bacon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4806.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	153317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050087.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	153318
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

This was shot in the south, so that really isn't my comfort zone. Also, the subject and style is outside my usual mode.

And just messing around. Again, not something I would normally take a photo of

If you look through my Flickr you'll see I don't really do portraits, so I'm leaving #1 (way out of my comfort zones on so many levels).

#2 & #3 are both (kinda) portraits and using my new flash - a complete first for me, I have lots to learn:

Whitedot Freeride

Quote Originally Posted by Huck_Schmuck View Post
    ...using my new flash - a complete first for me, I have lots to learn
    One thing that really helped me learn flash was taking it out of E-TTL mode. Shoot with it in manual mode and adjust the power and distance of the flash to your subject to see how the strobe effects your capture. Remember, twice the distance away from the light source is going to only get 1/4 of the light power with the same camera settings (inverse square law). If you shoot in E-TTL, they will try to expose the image the way the metering system thinks it should so moving the light may not effect the scene like it should. Also in E-TTL, depending on where you are metering, you may get very different exposures based on that.

So, my advice if you are interested in shooting flash, play with it in manual. And just like shooting a camera in manual, with time comes speed. And depending on the camera, you may be able to adjust the flash power manually via the camera. Start with 1/32 power and go from there. Good luck!

http://www.lightenupandshoot.com/com...ightflashpower

Cheers Scott!

Whitedot Freeride