Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    The snow has been leaving in a big way and not all flowing downhill. Fingers crossed for some moisture to come our way brought the summer. Tall order but maybe.
    Freestones on this side are still well outta shape.

I take that last comment back....a little. Drove over the snake at Wilson today. Prolly a foot visibility. So, some of the tribs could be holding back a little with the cooler weather. I'd still be in another valley tho. Or fish the lakes over here.

Did some creekin last night real close to IF, lots of eager cutties, but any lower and it's pretty much done for the season. May head to the ranch Sunday, anybody joining the shitshow?

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Did some creekin last night real close to IF, lots of eager cutties, but any lower and it's pretty much done for the season. May head to the ranch Sunday, anybody joining the shitshow?
    I am toying around with fishing the HF Saturday. Not the ranch tho. I'll leave that alone for a while.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    green flows comin down bout 2k above fontenelle w/ a foot of vis
    7k below a couple feet of vis good fishin big junk
    dropped b low fg to 4600 and will drop another 400 cfs a day till next weekend and 1600
    whether that 1600 will come down at night or last the summer only the water bros know
    i'll be hangin out w/ a bunch of the hog island steamboat greenies crew the 27th browns park
    tfb group site.
    all welcome.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Epic salmonfly hatch for the last three days. Drop in water level arrived just in time, usually the river is still too muddy when the salmonflies happen. Best dry fly fishing I've had in years. Skating big flies to aggressive fish is hard to beat. Went to the fly shop yesterday, bought a handful of #4 dries and the shop jockey (in my old job) enthusiastically told us that the big bugs would be hatching down on the lower S.F. in a week. Uh, yeah, dude, that's why we are buying salmonfly dries today, cuz I just can't wait to get in line with 100 other boats for the S.F. hatch....just amazing how some "experts" think salmonflies only hatch between boat ramps on famous rivers that are convenient for guided floats. Meanwhile, the river on their doorstep is on fire.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-22-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Hey Neckdeep. I'm assuming the only other signs of life here were from you a day prior?

These sure are fun.

Probably the prettiest fish I've ever stuck.

Some good ones around there.

Out the 100 boats on a drift on the SF maybe 5 have competent enough anglers to cover water effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Hey Neckdeep. I'm assuming the only other signs of life here were from you a day prior?

Yep. If you were getting some refusals, that was my doing. FYI, you do not have to climb around that cliff-out at that water level. I climb over at 1800cfs. Looks sketchy, but it's fairly easy to walk under. I forded, fished both banks from the access road to above the islands.. Believe it or not, I've actually crossed the river at slightly higher levels.

Anyone else think there's something a little off with this fish? I'm no fisheries biologist, but I almost was, and that looks like black spot disease to me. It's not uncommon and affects many types of fishes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo_060209_002.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	156357

Name:	blackspot.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	156358

Name:	225242_1769907803536_1114463972_31528102_7117962_n.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	156359

I don't know what drainage you were in, and I know there are finespots near you, but somethings not right with those spots IMO. Look at the adipose, for example. You can see the bigger pigmented spots are different from the smaller spots.

Are they all like that?

Either way, nice feesh and purdy waddah. I bet you got it on a dry too, you fucker.

You're spot on Underoos (couldn't resist) black spot disease is around in this watershed. All on big drys. Neckdeep the cliff wasn't bad and provided a great view. Once I got past your hoof prints things def picked up. Shoot me a pm if you ever want to get out.

Yeah...I did give it a bad beat down. After the 40th or so fish, I just started taking the fly away from any fish under 14". Never even bothered with a nymph. One fly, all day. Now its a tattered gob of foam and elk hair on the wall of fame, aka my bathroom. Well, if you hiked past where I quit, I'm impressed. That's a tough walk to get to the next set of rapids, appx. 1 mile upstream? Any resemblance of a trail ends at the three islands riffle. If I go farther, I prefer to walk along the rim. That's pretty much as easy as the canyon gets, that stuff in the pic. The rest is worse. I ran into one rattler. See any? They mostly lurk up in the rocks on the hillside, like on that cliff-out traverse. Seen a few up there. Once the tall grass goes to seed, the stream side is crawling with voles eating grass seed. Lookout when you see voles running around in that grass cuz thats when you will find quite a few rattlers along the trail. Anyhows, next up, sallies and goldens, then pmds and then by the time hoppers are big and fat, that section has been fished to death and it sucks. You'll work hard to earn a dozen fish in mid august. It gets good again late season.

Underoos, black spot disease is endemic to all sections of the river that have mud snails. The steep sections with fewer snails have cleaner fish, disease free fish in the really swift sections of continous whitewater, The middle and lower canyon has it real bad. Places where the fish over-winter in big silty pools full of snails have cutts that are more spots than fish. Almost black. And the cutts seem to get it far worse than the bows and hybrids. Not even bait chuckin, redneck mouthbreathers want to eat these wormy fish, which is why the river is practically no harvest and simply loaded with 16-18" fish.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-22-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Interesting. Thanks for the edification. I've seen black spot disease before, but never to that extent. And I had no idea that it's associated with mud snails.

Wash them boots, boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    I

Wash them boots, boys.
    ]
    It doesn't help. Birds eat the infected fish and then fly to another watershed. The birds shit in the water and the worm gets into the snails. Fish eat the snail, then birds eat the fish and it moves over to the next watershed again and again. The bird, the fish and the snail are each an essential host in the life cycle of the parasite.The real limiting factor appears to be whether the water is silty and overly fertilized. Oddly, the streams adjacent to the Teton don't have any black spot despite countless cases of dirty boots and boats moving back and forth all the time. Its the conditions of the river that causes black spot to become a problem, I guess. Make no mistake, it may have a lot of fish in it but this is probably the last river in the area that I would ever want to drink out of.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-22-2014 at 11:20 PM.

The Green is currently en fuego. Floated an A-Brun on on Friday and a quick dash down the A on Saturday morning with Dfinn and his buddy. It was good, really really good. Fun to throw big cicadas on top and see a 22 inch brown take Dfinn into his backing repeatedly.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

The Green from the headwaters on down is damn fine right now. We ran into one other boat all day on a Sunday! And our run in was a quick passing...after that the river was free of people. I was hesitant to post but I doubt too many teton area trolls are gonna read this and go. It will only get better.

Fished around Bear Valley Creek in the headwaters of the Middle Fork Salmon this weekend. Lots of big stoneflies skittering across the water unmolested. Think the fish are still on winter vacay down in the Middle Fork. Live and learn. I did manage to pull a bull trout out of a deep dark hole.

So this is my first summer learning to fly fish.
    I figure I live right smack dab in some great fishing so it would be a shame not to get out and throw some casts.
    I'm a total fishing jong, but it's finally starting to Gel.
    I hired a guide early on and that helps. Plus some friends and coworkers are showing me some spots.

Upper Colorado, Parshall. Throwing dry flys for the first time. got some hits but couldn't set the hook.

Mostly I have been cutting my teeth on the Blue River here in Silverthorne.
    Tough fishing, but there are a lot of fish in this river, I am starting to figure them out.
    14" rainbow caught just under I-70 when the water was high and fast! (1800 CFS)

Today I hooked 5 assorted trouts, landed two, including thIs 17' rainbow,
    I am fishing Nymph rigs really for the most part.

Mysis shrimp, 42 degrees, 710 CFS; just below the dam.ss

I'm obsessed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scottcoloradoriver2_zps17dfa47b.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	262.1 KB 
ID:	156385  

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    The Green is currently en fuego. Floated an A-Brun on on Friday and a quick dash down the A on Saturday morning with Dfinn and his buddy. It was good, really really good. Fun to throw big cicadas on top and see a 22 inch brown take Dfinn into his backing repeatedly.
    That was a damn fine morning. Thanks again! Not the biggest trout I've ever caught but by far the strongest or at least most pissed off.

Good looking browns!

Thanks for the report. Heading up to DJ tonight for 4 days. Sounds like the Cicada hatch is close to what it was this time last year which provided absolutely ridiculous fishing. Planning to spend a couple days lapping C as long as the wind isn't too insane.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleHoar View Post
    I'm obsessed.
    Come on over the pass and we'll huck some flies. Better yet, let's couple it with a moto ride.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Good looking browns!

Thanks for the report. Heading up to DJ tonight for 4 days. Sounds like the Cicada hatch is close to what it was this time last year which provided absolutely ridiculous fishing. Planning to spend a couple days lapping C as long as the wind isn't too insane.
    I think the shop dude said the cicada fishing is best on A. Which I also think seems pretty typical for any kind of dry fly fishing. I could be wrong though, still learning the river.

The fishing on the Green below FG continues to be on fire. A was fishing very well (only did a quick late afternoon lap) but the action on B & C was just silly.

still on cicadas?

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    still on cicadas?
    Yeah, it was all cicadas on A & B and the first couple miles of C. From burnt tree-swallow, fat alberts were the ticket. Saw quite a few yellow sallies down there but the pigs were still keying in on the large dries.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^gorgie weekend
    no where near last years ccaider #ers but plenty o fish lookin up willin to eat the foamies

a few willing to eat big junk still but dry flyin in the afternoon/eve hours was the most productive

1700 is a great flow and the highwater scouring did wonders lower river
    hit the berry res and river on the way up n over
    res is still fishin great river off colored meh
    plenty of nice agressive cutties and bows chompin big black junks
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno