Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Malaysia Airlines MH370 has gone dark

What a way to go for 239 people.
    This shit terrifies me.

I think they had found some Air France 447 parts by now. Sounds like there has been some issues narrowing down the last contact point.

Can't imagine.

Oil slick sighted ...

NYT

It never ceases to amaze me how much time the news age cues can spend saying they don't know anything.

Vibes to all involved, this sucks.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Egypt Air flight 990 comes to mind.

The 777 has a nearly spotless accident record. http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/mis...-record-n47566 Pretty unheralded to have completely lost a flight like this. Such a tragedy.

They haven't lost, just missed placed it. I am sure it is right next to my car keys or sunglasses.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

The stolen passports may be nothing but a coincidence but they do lend an air of intrigue to this horrible mystery.

[a]fter the airline released a manifest, Austria denied that one of its citizens was onboard the flight as the list stated. The Austrian citizen was safe and sound, and his passport had been stolen two years ago, Austrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Martin Weiss told CNN.

Similarly, Italy's foreign ministry confirmed that no Italians were onboard MH370, even though an Italian was listed on the manifest.

Police in Italy said the man's passport was stolen last year.

A U.S. intelligence official said authorities are aware of reporting about lost or stolen passports used by passengers on the missing flight.

And there is something funny that apparently went down with the Russian on the flight too, either he also had a passport stolen or he checked in but wasn't allowed to board because he lost his passport (not sure why he would be on the manifest if that was the case)? Details are kind of lost in translation to this point.

Also of some note to KQ's post, is that the two (of 7 total) confirmed stolen passports were both booked on the China Southern codeshare.

Seems like the airlines could develop the equivalent of a personal locator beacon that transmits if the stall alarms go off. Dunno, maybe this already exists.

^^^ many things like that do exist. Over land in most developed countries airliner type aircraft are tracked on radar, and are in radio contact with someone on the ground.

Plus, (prepare to google) if the airplane is logged onto ADS-B (most international flights) pretty much anyone can see it - including you, with an app on your phone. The airline's dispatch can see it in real time with ADS or an FAA feed, and companies with a FOQA program can have real-time connections to dispatch as well. Additionally, there's often a closed text based two-way communication system between an airline's dispatch and its fleet called ACARS (usually used to obtain weather information, and "talk" with maintenance, but can be used for any communication). And there is a dedicated radio frequency that is left open for emergencies, which is monitored by all ground stations, and most commercial aircraft.

If all else fails, there's a transmitter (much like an avy beacon) that will begin to transmit when an airplane goes down, and continue to do so until the battery runs out.

the ocean is deep.
    b

Austrian and Italian agents……..super secret types.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    ^^^ many things like that do exist. Over land in most developed countries airliner type aircraft are tracked on radar, and are in radio contact with someone on the ground.

Plus, (prepare to google) if the airplane is logged onto ADS-B (most international flights) pretty much anyone can see it - including you, with an app on your phone. The airline's dispatch can see it in real time with ADS or an FAA feed, and companies with a FOQA program can have real-time connections to dispatch as well. Additionally, there's often a closed text based two-way communication system between an airline's dispatch and its fleet called ACARS (usually used to obtain weather information, and "talk" with maintenance, but can be used for any communication). And there is a dedicated radio frequency that is left open for emergencies, which is monitored by all ground stations, and most commercial aircraft.

If all else fails, there's a transmitter (much like an avy beacon) that will begin to transmit when an airplane goes down, and continue to do so until the battery runs out.
    No plane could float, let alone fly with all those anacronyms weighing it down.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Austrian and Italian agents……..super secret types.
    errrr, think about it? Those were the passports that were lost...so theoretically anybody from anywhere could have been using them...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

If it went down in the water why isn't there any debris? Did it do a perfect inward dive in the open pike position without making a splash?

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    No plane could float, let alone fly with all those anacronyms weighing it down.
    But what if it was on a treadmill?

KQ, maybe? Possibly a micro-burst put it straight into a nose first dive, but I doubt they would be flying through any weather like that, or be low enough to be affected fatally. It's odd that none of the stories have mentioned the cruising altitude or the local weather at the time of the accident, or at least none that I've seen.
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

Hugh Conway Guest
    that's because the news media sucks balls (or the stuff you read does), not a conspiracy. FL350 = 35k feet.

So at 35K they could glide over 100 miles if it was anything less then a catastrophic failure. I'm not saying there's a conspiracy, it's just odd that this plane augered in without much of anything visible on the surface, so far, and apparently without much of a trace on radar. Someone in that area has to have a good radar record of the last part of that plane's flight.
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

pretty sure some aliens were part of this

Here in the U.S. I've got to take off my shoes to get through security, but apparently in Malaysia a stolen passport is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jma233
    Seems like the airlines could develop the equivalent of a personal locator beacon that transmits if the stall alarms go off.
    What makes you think the a/c stalled?

This from Forbes touches on some important ideas-

"One of the questions I’ve been asked repeatedly since word emerged that a Malaysian Airlines Boeing BA -0.25% 777 had disappeared, is how can a modern airliner flying at 35,000 feet suddenly lose all contact? First, there needs to be an understanding of the type of contact that an airliner in flight typically has. Airline crews communicate with air traffic control both by verbal instructions over radios and through automatic transmissions from various aircraft systems, such as a transponder which relays information about the flight (e.g. altitude) to ground radar stations. The transponder information is then displayed on an air traffic controller’s screen as an alpha-numeric readout.

Crews also have the ability to communicate with their airline through discrete radio channels. There is usually at least one other back up communication system that allows communication between the ground stations and the flight crew. Other aircraft systems commonly used by many airlines also communicate with commercial services that monitor other parts of the aircraft, such as engines, and report that data back to the airline. This data is then used to monitor and improve aircraft system performance.

For all communication to suddenly cease without a distress signal usually indicates a catastrophic failure of the aircraft , not allowing time for the crew to communicate either by radio or through the aircraft transponder. Modern airliners have multiple radios for voice communication and the transponder can be used to send signals that indicate different problems with the aircraft (for example a discrete code for hijacking). A complete electrical failure is extremely unlikely because of redundancies in the system, especially the ram air turbine which uses the power of the wind generated by the aircraft’s motion in flight to generate electricity which would power critical navigation and communication systems, as well as flight controls. But even if the aircraft had a complete electrical failure, the aircraft could have continued to fly. If the aircraft was out of radar range when a failure occurred – but able to fly – it would eventually fly to an area with radar coverage and be picked up by air traffic control radar.

It is too early to speculate on what could have caused a catastrophic failure to the aircraft, if that is in fact what occurred."

vhttp://www.forbes.com/sites/johngog...e-all-contact/

I don't like the sounds of this, a bomb would cause that kind of full lights-out failure. The redundant systems would ping out some sort of signal. There is a slim hope it's been hijacked to a remote location. That's a lot of people. Terribile news.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Here in the U.S. I've got to take off my shoes to get through security, but apparently in Malaysia a stolen passport is fine.
    why do you think a stolen passport wouldn't work in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    why do you think a stolen passport wouldn't work in the US?
    seriously.

I'm sure that at least one of our TSA people is Malaysian...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...