Page 12 of 465 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    I drive that road as much as anybody and left lane jackasses and people that use their brakes about 99% too much are both big issues. The car will slow down if you let off the gas!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

The only place where people will ever drive to everyones liking is La La Land.

Yup, chain law and 4wd/Awd is a must at this point.

Campers and bad drivers suck, but 20 to 40mph beats a dead stop.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    How do they enforce it?
    There isn't really very much enforcement.

It's just mostly a cultural difference.

But it isn't a pan-european thing. The Brits are terrible at it compared to French and Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Yup, chain law and 4wd/Awd is a must at this point.
    This is really the easiest thing to do that would make a difference. Enforcement is easy too. Don't even need to bother with checkpoints or anything. When CSP responds to a wreck or a car that needs rescuing cause it can't go uphill (as they nearly always do already), the officer writes them a big fucking fine and sends them on their merry way. One or two storms and the word will get out and people who suck at driving will upgrade their shit. The people who don't suck at driving don't get penalized, and no additional CDOT or CSP resources are required.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    This is really the easiest thing to do that would make a difference. Enforcement is easy too. Don't even need to bother with checkpoints or anything. When CSP responds to a wreck or a car that needs rescuing cause it can't go uphill (as they nearly always do already), the officer writes them a big fucking fine and sends them on their merry way. One or two storms and the word will get out and people who suck at driving will upgrade their shit. The people who don't suck at driving don't get penalized, and no additional CDOT or CSP resources are required.
    I like. Where do I sign.

Sign me up too

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

Sign me up too.

Just came up the hill and there was a good long delay at the tunnels as always. Wish they had just blown the mtn up removing the tunnels. There are a number of other similar spots where this was obviously done when the hwy was built. Was this ever considered by CDOT?

I’ve heard that it’s a bighorn corridor, so they want to keep it intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Smokin' View Post
    Makes sense. I've seen bighorns around that area quite often.

I-70 Twin Tunnels Westbound Project Schedule
    March 2014 – Reduce eastbound I-70 to 2 lanes
    April 2014 – Eastbound I-70 moves onto detour route and westbound I-70 into eastbound tunnel
    April 2014 - August 2014 – Tunnel blasting and rock cut blasting above both tunnel portals
    December 2014 – Westbound tunnel widening work complete
    December 2014 – January 2015 – Lane closures to finish wall and barrier construction
    September 2015 – County Road 314 restored and retaining walls and trailhead enhancements in place

That's gonna be fun. The traffic this summer has been beyond awful in that area. Basically, looks like we're looking at another full ski season and following summer of I-70 being completely fucked at the twin tunnels.

Could be done in off hours, no? ie Temporary lane closures?

Couldn't they blow up the ridge and replace with a wildlife tunnel or overpass?

With all that work and blasting they've probably already scared them all off, no?

Removing the existing ridge over the current tunnels would be more expensive, more time consuming and produce more delays than the current project and the end result would still be the same- 3 lanes of traffic in each direction. Removing the ridge to only put back a wildlife tunnel or overpass is even more cost prohibitive. In my professional opinion, the current concept of widening the existing tunnels is the best solution.

EDIT- It's important to remember that when the I70 corridor was initially constructed through areas where entire hillsides and ridges were removed, it wasn't necessary to simultaneously maintain four lanes of existing traffic through those areas. As soon as maintaining existing traffic flow is factored into the project, the logistics of the project become quite different.
    Last edited by cmsummit; 08-19-2014 at 09:31 AM.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Couldn't they blow up the ridge and replace with a wildlife tunnel or overpass?
    Like CMsummit said, that’s more work in the long term. That is a massive block of rock to remove. The current plan is the most efficient and cost effective way available.

I think they should get aggressive and do 3 permanent lanes (not this tight shoulder bullshit) E & W to US40 one summer and be done with it. Combine it with chain and AWD/4WD enforcement and 70 isn’t a complete shitshow.

Either way you cut it, it’s a big time consuming construction project, and traffic WILL suck until the work is done. There really is no way around it.

I think they should get aggressive and do 3 permanent lanes (not this tight shoulder bullshit) E & W to US40 one summer and be done with it. Combine it with chain and AWD/4WD enforcement and 70 isn’t a complete shitshow.

Either way you cut it, it’s a big time consuming construction project, and traffic WILL suck until the work is done. There really is no way around it.
    I totally agree...I'm sick of the back ups going down Floyd Hill on the way out too...Awful

WTF!!!
    MF'ers quite driving in the left lane for your whole trip. These azzholes are just
    completely clueless in the clouds or complete self absorbed azzholes

I just passed about 14 cars while in the right lane going approaching Eisenhower and when I got to first car
    there was plenty of room to merge over in front of him.... interestly (predictably) open roads both lanes
    after this wackoff
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    WTF!!!
    MF'ers quite driving in the left lane for your whole trip. These azzholes are just
    completely clueless in the clouds or complete self absorbed azzholes

I just passed about 14 cars while in the right lane going approaching Eisenhower and when I got to first car
    there was plenty of room to merge over in front of him.... interestly (predictably) open roads both lanes
    after this wackoff
    This is what drives me insane...people like this are such sheep, self entitled, azzholes or clueless

^something is wrong with these people.. who are they? I have made signs to flash
    now. hope it doesnt get me road raged. I have "UR Drivin Sux", "Get OUT of Left Lane",
    and "F U" (more professional than fingr) in case there is some dialogue after cue card 1 or 2 has been displayed.
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    ^something is wrong with these people.. who are they? I have made signs to flash
    now. hope it doesnt get me road raged. I have "UR Drivin Sux", "Get OUT of Left Lane",
    and "F U" (more professional than fingr) in case there is some dialogue after cue card 1 or 2 has been displayed.
    I always wanted to get one of those scrolling LED signs to put in my back window to program such messages once I get in front of them.

On a side note. There was a shred of hope when I was heading south on I-25 near Thornton today. An Adams County sheriff's Forensic van pulled a dude over douching it out in the left lane going the speed limit and not passing. However, it didnt last long as not a mile later I came up on a Toyota Yaris doing a couple mph less than everyone else. Baby steps I guess.
    Last edited by soups818; 09-20-2014 at 02:26 PM.

^nice idea!
    I usually just flash incessantly and if they refuse to move over, pass on the right and hold my horn down for ten seconds while giving the "wtf" look. And it's not that I'm speeding - they're going under the speed limit in the left...

^^ fortunately my last trip up and back was made in wee morning hours and then past 10pm so all was well for the most part. I have been flashing brights, passing right lane, almost did a shoulder pass , but I wont risk the douchyness nor law breakin. It is not that I'm in a great hurry but that my 4 banger cyl needs momentum to get up these hills. the left lane squatters can keep me from maintaining 65 and push me to 40 with no hope of building back the speed.

I have also thought about LED
    www.freeridesystems.com

After 7 years on the Epic pass I finally went with the RMSP+. I think the main deciding factor was the 11 hour drive home from Beaver Creek at the end of last season. Nothing better than missing an epic 15" dump because you are sitting in the truck all day. It got to the point where I never went out to Vail/BC because of the 6-8 hour total driving time, Breck isn't worth the xtra drive and they charge to breathe the air, I've ridden the sh*t out of crowded Keystone and the Basin is well..the basin. And you get to spend hours in traffic.

Hopefully WP will be a bit better, and worse comes to worse I can split in Berthoud. I'm sure alot of people are making the switch since they added Eldora and some CB days to the already decent line up. If that doesn't work out I'll go loveland, and after that I guess just go 100% backcountry.

I've lived here in the FR for 8 years now and every year it gets exponentially worse. Hell it even takes me like an half hour + to cross the length of Boulder. They are saying by 2040 the metro population is going to go up 50%. Based on all the construction I'm guessing that's going to happen.

And as side note...they should be ticketing anyone that doesn't have the right vehicle's tires etc. for the weather. I know that's not possible of course, but most of the bad weather traffic is caused by some idiot with spinning front wheel tires. Get chains / studs/ winter tires / 4x4 or stay the F home. And as everyone stated it's the people braking or trying to speed that are helping to cause the backups as well. Going up on the weekends honestly isn't even fun anymore.

Current 70 travel is JACKED with all the construction. Backups in Vail, tunnel, Dumont, and twin tunnels.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Guys, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The sooner that TABOR becomes a thing of the past, the sooner Colorado's roads will not be in such terrible condition.

Seriously