Page 19 of 465 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    That's good Makers, I was thinking the same thing...
    FTR- 4WD Jeep with severe snow all terrains.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    So even though it was a day full of heavy snow, there were no I70 closures (that I know of). What's the difference compared to the other day? Less ice?
    Must have been CDOTs fault.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

FWIW, in Oregon I run dedicated snows (Michelin X-Ice3) on an Outback and Hankook ATs on a Tacoma. The last Tacoma we owned had BFG AT KO's and the Subaru with snows is 10 times more pleasant to drive and stops on a dime.

As noted, M+S rated all seasons are no where near rated snow tires. Apparently Colorado allows M+S rated tires to be used in place of chains?

Here is Oregon chain law: https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/chain-laws.asp

California is even more restrictive, even up to requiring chains on AWD vehicles?
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Cool to see folks responding out in the open without the poll.

For the record (I hate acryonyms):

4wd, locked in the rear, posi up front, dedicated severe snows, and chains in the ready. Along with a lot of recovery gear.

But i'll admit, I've spent a lot of times unstucking and hosting people. I have my truck setup as a winter tank. Fuck the zombies.

I would like to see this poll go up though, because I know lotsa people run the margins, even those that head up the hills every other weekend. I'd like to see a fair distribution, that is why I said anonymous.

We all deal with shitty roads. Just trying to gauge how we could fit into the equation of the thread. Being honest.

If I were to guess there's:
    22% with their car and their tires at the time. Roll with what I have.
    44% with all seasons in their SUV or LT; Roll with what I have.
    10% with rallying their FWD car with "decent" tires; I got a Subie/Audi, I got engineering;
    5% with AWD and dedicated snows; I will get there and back with traction and grip. My spouse is bitching, I got shit to do!
    2% ralling their car with studded snows; I am Mika Häkkinen- don't fuck with me!
    0.5% with dedicated snow rigs. Yes, you plowers.

Dunfee? Can you poll it?
    Commonlaw, any love for the commons'?
    Splat, do you really drive a pink thunderbird?
    Last edited by MakersTeleMark; 11-15-2014 at 12:09 AM.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Snow-tires with studs. Cuz why the fuck not.

Edit: Outback w/ Winter Claws ftr.
    Last edited by SkiBall; 11-15-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Just saw this, I'll see if I can edit and throw up a poll.

FWIW: outback with blizacks
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Defender 110 with studded Hakkas
    Old Porsche c4 with Hankook Ice Bear snows - this handles ice better than my D110 but struggles on unplowed roads over 8".
    Only time I've been stuck was 2003 when we got 73" in 3 days and I tried to get out of my driveway w/o shoveling.

Outback, putting on some Michelin Xi3 dedicated snows in an hour or two. Had the xi2 on my last car and they were rad as it gets.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Tacoma w/ BFG A/T'S Drives great in snow.

Getting Blizzaks on the Outback this week.

legacy awd sedan with new tires
    former
    F350 4wd AT chains and sand tubes
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Every single passenger vehicle heading up I-70 could have studded snows and it wouldn't matter, because there will always be the one truck that doesn't chain up and gets stuck and/or jack-knifes.

2002 Subaru WRX Wagon with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D. (yes, my spouse is bitching and I gots shits to do! )
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

AWD with snow tires.... I crush it. Passing people in the right lane is what I do!

^ the right lane on 70 is the passing lane, has been for years.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

F150 4x4 w/ Hankook Dynapro AT. Most winter driving issues are due to the interface of the steering wheel and the seat.

Fwd sport wagon with dedicated blizzacks on their last season, currently at 60%.

Awd Outback with a/t tires. In college had fwd honda accord with studded snows and never had troubles

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Every single passenger vehicle heading up I-70 could have studded snows and it wouldn't matter, because there will always be the one truck that doesn't chain up and gets stuck and/or jack-knifes.

Sure it matters, somebody posted the figures last year, and like 80% of the wrecks or blocks are CO tagged cars.

Yes there will always be some truck wrecks, but there's no reason to have very many car wrecks.

04 wrx, past has been all seasons, just pick up some steelies couple weeks ago and mounting with dedicated snows next week end.

edit. all seasons have been gy assurance all season triple treds, actually a good tire in snow when not worn
    Last edited by hawkgt; 11-15-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Nissan Frontier 4x4 with, at the moment, unsatisfactory tires. Nokian Vatiivas, which were good not great when new, but are pretty worn. Haven't sprung for the new rubber yet because I'm likely selling the truck soon, and don't want to spend $700+ on tires that someone else will get to use. But right now I drive like I have shitty tires on, I'm not a dumbass.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

4WD w/dedicated snows.

A/T was OK. Tires were predictable when new, but I went with snows to get as much stopping help as possible once I started towing a snowmo trailer.

Another semi closure on VP. Who woulda thought? Odds on chains?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Just took me an hour to get from Copper to East Vail.

I swear it was because of only a few assholes who refused to go over 10mph.

I've come to realize the WORST drivers out there are the ones who insist on keeping their hazards flashing.

People who throw their hazards on because it's snowing are universally terrible drivers, but at least they self-identify. Better than billy badass doing 70 on bald no-seasons causing a pileup.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

'15 WRX

Just put on some GT Radial Champiro WinterPro HPs.

It came with nice sticky summer tires.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...