Page 85 of 465 FirstFirst ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 11614
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I'll bet many agree with me.
    Count me as one. I aven't been to Breck in three years. It's the only place I've ever been to (this is not limited to skiing), where a I got into an argument with a gaper that I felt could have easily escalated into a fist fight.

Why I gave up the A-basin perks to "expand" to Keystone and Breck is beyond me.

I get it that the high alpine is fun, but the crap leading up to it is too emotionally toxic for me.

[edit] Having said that, I'll probably go up - at least on one weekday powder day after all of the wind scoured areas are restored.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-06-2016 at 12:28 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    If you take home the bad memories more than the good memories of the day, they win. I hate when they win, but that is on me.
    Of course, that's true. It's all about choice, but there's a difference between making lemonade from lemons, and consciously exposing yourself to abuse.

For me, life is too short for the latter, which is also why I minimize my exposure to places like Houston.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Count me as one. I aven't been to Breck in three years. It's the only place I've ever been to (this is not limited to skiing), where a I got into an argument with a gaper that I felt could have easily escalated into a fist fight.

Why I gave up the A-basin perks to "expand" to Keystone and Breck is beyond me.

I get it that the high alpine is fun, but the crap leading up to it is too emotionally toxic for me.

[edit] Having said that, I'll probably go up - at least on one weekday powder day after all of the wind scoured areas are restored.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Ha.

It's worse in that three years, btw.

Ha. It's worse in that three years, btw.
    I feel so tempted to go ... kind of like picking at a scab, or when you bite your lip and keep biting it over and over

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Even a weekday powder day is sad, because, even if you're there at first chair, you're competing with all of the instructors and locals, which is many, for whatever is out there, and it's gone in an hour or so. But, America loves it, so what do I know.

Even a weekday powder day is sad, because, even if you're there at first chair, you're competing with all of the instructors and locals, which is many, for whatever is out there, and it's gone in an hour or so. But, America loves it, so what do I know.
    Depends on where you go. And sometimes the hunt for deep stashes after the mad morning rush can be more fun.

Even a weekday powder day is sad.
    They've got tissues in the lift lines for that.

Does 'Vegas have an over/under for traffic tomorrow morning (Superbowl Sunday)? I have a the luxury of skiing weekdays this year, but there's the ON3P ski demo at Loveland which is calling me ...

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I feel so tempted to go ... kind of like picking at a scab, or when you bite your lip and keep biting it over and over

... Thom
    Don't listen to Benny, he's an idiot. If you're in intermediate groomer skier then the hustle and bustle of Breck would be enough to drive you crazy. There's so much off piste terrain at Breck though that it's easy to get away from the crowds and a lot of it is really fkn good. Steep trees? Breck has more and longer runs than A-Basin. Mid winter hike to terrain that's steep, fills in with wind deposited snow and rearly sees enough traffic to actually get tracked out? Well, A basin doesn't have any but Breck has more than you can ski in a day. Wide open bowels, Zuma is good but Breck has more options with more aspect options and some that are longer than what Zuma has to offer. I love A basin but once you figure out how to navigate Breck it simply has more to offer. Just bring your hiking legs and do anything you can to avoid dropping to the base of 7 and 8. And avoid windy days. We had an awesome day skiing some decently deep powder (untouched since the big storm at the beginning of the week) but all the ridge line stuff on 6, 7 and 8 was closed due to wind which took away a lot of the good stuff. If we didn't know where the stashes would be we'd have been stuck with all the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Wide open bowels...
    Idk if I want to go to breck for that

Anyone who's content with the "steep" skiing at Breck wouldn't know what they were missing. That's not a knock to anyone.. Last thing we need at the basin is anyone sideslipping End Zone or Gauthier. Breck has something like 5x as much terrain overall, right? There's a lot to be said for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Don't listen to Benny, he's an idiot. And avoid windy days.
    Those are the two tricky parts.
    The Sheriff is near!

Don't listen to Benny, he's an idiot. If you're in intermediate groomer skier then the hustle and bustle of Breck would be enough to drive you crazy. There's so much off piste terrain at Breck though that it's easy to get away from the crowds and a lot of it is really fkn good. Steep trees? Breck has more and longer runs than A-Basin. Mid winter hike to terrain that's steep, fills in with wind deposited snow and rearly sees enough traffic to actually get tracked out? Well, A basin doesn't have any but Breck has more than you can ski in a day. Wide open bowels, Zuma is good but Breck has more options with more aspect options and some that are longer than what Zuma has to offer. I love A basin but once you figure out how to navigate Breck it simply has more to offer. Just bring your hiking legs and do anything you can to avoid dropping to the base of 7 and 8. And avoid windy days. We had an awesome day skiing some decently deep powder (untouched since the big storm at the beginning of the week) but all the ridge line stuff on 6, 7 and 8 was closed due to wind which took away a lot of the good stuff. If we didn't know where the stashes would be we'd have been stuck with all the crowds.

Sure. I agree. But the point is, again, you have to wade through so much shit to get there, and then go back through all that to go home. As galbier said, it's soul sucking.

Edit: I will say one thing, though. That mountain sure knows how to make a terrain park. Holy jeebus, how many people have been injured in those things?

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

Edit: I will say one thing, though. That mountain sure knows how to make a terrain park. Holy jeebus, how many people have been injured in those things?
    They don't have a choice. What else are all the midwestern kids going to do when they move out there to live the dream? Ski the upper mountain? hahaha

How's is this become a Breck Vs ABasin thread? Both are awesome.
    Back to bitching about traffic, ok?

It was about traffic. The traffic at the base of Breck. ABasin, get there early, at the most walk fifty feet, click in, and glide down to Pali. I repeat, Pali.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    How's is this become a Breck Vs ABasin thread? Both are awesome.
    Back to bitching about traffic, ok?
    Skiing on Superbowl Sunday when the Broncos are in it can be a good thing!

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

Sure. I agree. But the point is, again, you have to wade through so much shit to get there, and then go back through all that to go home. As galbier said, it's soul sucking.

"Soul sucking" is even better a term than emotionally toxic. If my buddy didn't have parking The Grand Timber Lodge, I don't think I'd ever go there again. As it is, I still haven't taken him up on his offer this year, but at least this would take 3/4 of the crap experience of getting to the good stuff out of the equation (the parking/shuttle/gondola). There's something "unnatural" to me however, about parking in a smelly, underground garage, right before and after skiing. I just love sucking fumes in the dark ... not.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

Meh. A 5 minute bus ride followed by a 5 minute gondola ride isn't that bad. Get there at the wrong time and have to buy tickets, yea, it might take an hour to click in and actually ski. It's not as easy as the base lot at a basin, Loveland or a couple of the lots at Marry Jane but it's not the end of the world either. You could always be at Keystone and have to walk a mile through a stupid little make believe town.

Meh. A 5 minute bus ride followed by a 5 minute gondola ride isn't that bad. Get there at the wrong time and have to buy tickets, yea, it might take an hour to click in and actually ski. It's not as easy as the base lot at a basin, Loveland or a couple of the lots at Marry Jane but it's not the end of the world either. You could always be at Keystone and have to walk a mile through a stupid little make believe town.
    Agree. Of course, I don't ski Breck on weekends, so what do I know.

Gmaps is showing massive WB backups en route to Summit. Guess people aren't staying down?

Holiday weekend, yo.

60s in Denver, thought people would stay down. Gotta make our way to Breck to see friends Sat AM. I will not be on I70 that's for sure.

Pre-planned trips by tourons is my guess.

Holiday weekend and kids are out of school today and Monday. Prepare your anus